Between the Lines discussion

Archive > Steinbeck Summer July 2009: Sweet Thursday

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

July Steinbeck Summer of 2009 we will enjoy Sweet Thursday also. I have not been able to find any group guides but please feel free to add anything.

message 2: by Elena (last edited Jul 11, 2009 04:00PM) (new)

Elena I read Tortilla Flats and Cannery Row, and enjoyed them, but I can't get into this one. I read 30% and it is all about Doc. I am putting it aside for now.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I enjoyed Sweet Thursday. It was a friendship book, a romance, and interesting as well.

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) I have really struggled with the last two Monthly group picks and last night after finishing Cold Blood I picked up Sweet Thursday- I am so happy to be reading Steinbeck again :) Can't wait to finish this book.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Did you guys like this more than Cannery Row?

message 6: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) So far I like Cannery Row better- I don't know why. But then again I am just over half way through Sweet Thursday so my opinion only partially counts right now! Which did you like better?

message 7: by Dan (last edited Jul 13, 2009 03:24PM) (new)

Dan Porter (theancientreader) I read Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday back to back. The first two thirds to three fourths of Sweet Thursday seems to wander about aimlessly but in the end it's the better of the two...and the aimlessness of the story serves as a metaphor for Doc's aimlessness.

message 8: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) Dan- I am glad to know that the wandering is not just me- sometimes I wonder if I am missing parts as it does seem to almost "float" I look forward to finishing it- especially based on your comment.

Christina Stind I've just read Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday back to back. There are things I like about each of them. Whereas the first was a more atypical novel - or novelette - with it's focus on the characters and their life and not so much a plot, the second is more of a typical back and forth romantic comedy.
I liked them both for different reasons - I'm not sure I can pick a favourite.