Between the Lines discussion

Archive > June 2009 Group Book Read: The Girl with the Dragon Tatto by Stieg Larsson

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

June 2009 book group read is The Girl with the Dragon Tatto by Stieg Larsson.

This topic is now open for discussions. Enjoy the book everyone!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You Better Fi!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes you did!

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 17 comments I am on the waiting list at the library for this so I hope it comes in on time.

message 5: by Vir (new)

Vir | 4 comments ooohh, sweet... I was just about to read this anyway! :)

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) hmm...I'll read it sometime this month, don't know about the next week or two though.

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 17 comments I may end up reading it towards the end of the month.

message 8: by Cathyb (new)

Cathyb | 29 comments This was in my TBR pile and I have just started reaidng today.

message 9: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) I just checked with my library on line, and I'm 13th in line to request this! I don't think I'll get to read it in time.

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) I ordered it, so I hope its good.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim I'd already read this book- and I really enjoyed it aswell. It did take me a little time to get into it- and I know a lot of others found the same. But it was well worth perservering.

message 12: by Vir (new)

Vir | 4 comments okay so I'm a little more than halfway through it, and its really sucking me into the story. For a while I was getting the impression that the story would be quite narrow in scope... the death of a niece, some family intrigue, yada yada... but its getting really interesting and the narrative is both speeding up as well as increasing in scope.

An interesting thing I'm finding with the novel is the Swedish setting... as an Indian reading western stories, my usual touchstone for foreign fiction is either America or the UK... its quite interesting to hear a story with a completely different (yet western) mode of thought.

Also anyone notice the seemingly superfluous details that the author tends to give? like the long description of the new computer that Lisebeth is planning to buy including megahertz of the processor, amount of RAM, video card description, etc... thought it was a little strange that the editor hadn't cut it out.

Otherwise, I'm quite enjoying it so far... anyone know how closely the three books in the trilogy are connected? is it all part of the same story or is it more like one of those crime-fiction series where the same lead character has a 'new case to solve'?

message 13: by Cathyb (new)

Cathyb | 29 comments After the initial 'financial education' ended, the book picked up for me. I also liked the prologue but found it quite disconnected from the book when the financial piece started. Obviously, it fit in after that.

I have heard that the second book is better than the first. I have yet to pre-order it. Will probably wait until it hits the store as the local B&N is a usual stop on our weekend outings.

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) There is a sequel? What is it called? This book was a slow starter but once I got wrapped up in the characters (and not their jobs) it moved right along. I am glad that Harriet wasn't dead. That way there was a happy ending for all, except Lisbeth who was mad at Mikael. He better watch out. She is one for revenge!

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I liked Lisbeth as well. She didn't take crap from anyone. However I did feel sad when Mikael took off with Erika at the end. He was the only one Lisbeth let get to know her at all so I think the betrayal (even though they were not in an established relationship) was twofold.

message 16: by Cathyb (new)

Cathyb | 29 comments Yes, the ending for Lisbeth was sad. I too hope that they will end up together.

message 17: by Elena (last edited Jun 13, 2009 06:03AM) (new)

Elena I liked the book a lot. I could have done without the scene where Lisbeth torture her guardian! I was cringing while reading it. But, I was very happy she did and that she tattoo him with the sadists words.
And the end was really sad....I felt like hugging Lisbeth, although she would not had appreciate it.

There is actually a third book. It is "The Girl Who Kicked the Honnets". It is not in english yet.

message 18: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I agree about the torture scene however I did feel it was necessary to flesh out her character.

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vicki507) I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo before I joined this group. I did enjoy the book. It took me a while to get into it, because of the dual storyline. However, I did like it once they began to work on the missing Vanger girl. A bit graphic at some point and I agree with Elena about the torture scene with Lisbeth. If that was not the ultimate revenge (the tattoo) I don't know what is. I did feel sorry for Lisbeth in the end when Mikeal takes off with Erika and I will probably read the sequal when that comes out. I am more interested in Lisbeth's story than any other character.

message 20: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 17 comments I just started. The first couple of chapters were difficult but now it's flowing nicely.

message 21: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) I was reading this book last night- Since picking it up on Friday I have picked it up and attempted to read it many times and have really struggled. Based on all of your comments I am going to stick it out, with hopes of getting more drawn into it but right now I am not liking it at all :(

message 22: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 17 comments Just finished it and loved it. Keep going Shelley I think you may change your mind.

message 23: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) I am only a couple of chapters in to it so far so I am definately going to keep going. Like suggested I will not form a full opinion of it until I am about 150 pages into it. Thanks for the pushes to keep reading.

message 24: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) Shelley wrote: "I was reading this book last night- Since picking it up on Friday I have picked it up and attempted to read it many times and have really struggled. Based on all of your comments I am going to sti..."

I keep reading the same pages over and over again. It doesn't hold my attention long enough for me to get involved in the story.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez | 26 comments Does anybody here know what is the original title of the book in Swedish? In Spain it was translated to "The men who didn't love women", and the second part to "The girl who dreamt with a match and a gas can", very different from the English title. I was wondering which version was more accurate.

message 26: by Rhonda (last edited Jun 23, 2009 09:59PM) (new)

Rhonda (rhondak) Män som hatar kvinnor is "Men who Hate Women," which is absolutely gross and I doubt I would have read it with that title. As I was reading it, I tend to think that he wrote the first parts of it last, filling in everything witthe kinds of details which would work. It's hard tojusge his style very well but the translatiuon is pretty good. I had a lot of fun looking up all the funny names (well, they sound that way to an English speaker!) and places.
The only truly contrived issue I have with the book is that some things just seem highly unlikely, such as being hired and paid so well for his investigation. I mean why him? Is he really the only one who is honest and forthright?
Still it's a fun read with outcomes which are not, at least, transparent in the beginning like so many books. I have to say that in some ways I admire some of the characteristics of the characters, but I don't much like any of the main characters all that much. Everyone is not only flawed, but heavily and indelibly flawed which, perhaps in a Swedish way, are taken for granted. It makes me want to spend some time there...preferably in warmer weather.
It's a shame the author died so suddenly and I wonder whether his gf will be able to publish the third unfinished book.

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez | 26 comments The only truly contrived issue I have with the book is that some things just seem highly unlikely, such as being hired and paid so well for his investigation. I mean why him? Is he really the only one who is honest and forthright?

What seemed very unlikely to me was Lisbeth's character. She is too much of a Superwoman to be true. I read that she was based on Pippi Langstrump, and I'm afraid that before the end of the third book she will lift a horse above her head.

message 28: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 62 comments I agree with Rhonda. I don't really like any of the characters all that much. I wouldn't care to meet any of them in real life, if they were real. I don't know it that makes sense. I'm not sure if I will read the sequel or not.

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez | 26 comments Rhonda: he finished the third book before he died, it was published here in Spain last week. The title in Spanish is "The Queen of the Palace of the Air Drafts", but who knows what it will be in English.
And his girlfriend didn't inherit the rights for the books, his father and brother did--they follow the Germanic law in Sweeden, instead of the Roman law, so if you are not married you don't get anything.

message 30: by Elena (new)

Elena The name of the third book in English is "The Girl Who Kicked the Honnets".

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez | 26 comments Elena wrote: "The name of the third book in English is "The Girl Who Kicked the Honnets"."

Er... what's a honnet?

message 32: by Elena (new)

Elena Sorry, it is "hornets"

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez | 26 comments Elena wrote: "Sorry, it is "hornets""

Hehe, that makes much more sense :)

message 34: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondak) I agree wit Barbara that Lisbeth evokes my sympathy without my truly liking her. To me, she was the girl who sat by herself at recess and one everyone made fun of...even me. To discover her progress in the book certainly makes one want to encourage her, but on one hand, she is barely able to restrain herself from stabbing someone and then, poof! She is completing perfectly formatted and typed 500 page reports. It's kind of like the pyramids showing up overnight. Aspergers doesn't quite explain things.

While I couldn't help looking at the statistics for sexual abuse at the various sections, I couldn't help wondering if there wasn't a parallel between that and the fact that foreplay seems to consist in ripping off one's clothes! When sex becomes solely an animal function, how can one have all that much respect for one another?

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary  (maryjs) | 5 comments Wendy wrote: "Just finished it and loved it. Keep going Shelley I think you may change your mind.
"

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm where Shelly is - having a hard time getting into it...

message 36: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) I finally got into it and then I really enjoyed it but I don't think I'd want to read another book by this author.

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim I really enjoyed this one- once I perservered with the first few chapters. Some of it probably went straight over my head- but I did like it.

I am looking forward to the sequel aswell- it's on my wishlist now.

message 38: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) I am about half way through it- Still struggling with it on one hand but I find myself oddly curious about what is going to happen next- so I keep reading. The problem is I am way more excited about Steinbeck so this one has once again been pushed and I am focusing on other. I will continue with it but my review will come in a while!