LOST Book Club discussion

Lost Hiatus Reading Club

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments Hey!! OK so I'm new to this website so forgive me if this is already going on somewhere. But would anyone be interested in reading selected books from lost from now until season 6?? If anyone is interested let me know. I was thinking we could all read the same book at the same time and then come on here and discussing it. Things about the book and how it relates to Lost. Something like that. I just ordered a bunch of "Lost" books online.
So....Let me know!

message 2: by Hilary "Fox" (new)

Hilary "Fox" (foxhill) Sounds fine by me. I'm not aware of it going on anywhere else here, and even if it is this would be an excellent place to have some hiatus reading.

We've got to be doing something other than watching the past five seasons all over again in the interim...

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 4 comments yeah, I'm in. Which book should we start with?

message 4: by Yana (new)

Yana D. (yanad) Even with summer school, I'm always down for a little Lost reading! Looking forward to it!

message 5: by Hilary "Fox" (new)

Hilary "Fox" (foxhill) First we should compile a list of the books mentioned in the show/the books listed in the official Lost Book List, no?

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments Hilaroodle wrote: "First we should compile a list of the books mentioned in the show/the books listed in the official Lost Book List, no?"
Yes I agree.

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments So sometime this week I could put together a Lost Book list. But for now, I was thinking of starting with "Watership Down" By Richard Adams. It was one of the first books we saw in the show. I was thinking of starting in a week or so. For two reason. One, I have to finish the book I'm currently reading and Two, I don't have it yet. I ordered it online along with a bunch of other Lost books. If that's cool with everyone let me know. If you want to start with another book that's fine.I'm easy. I figure like Hilaroodle said, that this would be a better way to spend the interim. I don't want to re-watch the whole show until after its over.=)

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Here is the list as it appeared on Lostpedia last season, and Ive added the ones Ive seen this season.
Hope this saves you some time compiling :)

I have a group on here that I run "Flight 815ers unite", and we dont read along together, but keep a running list of the books we have read or are reading, and start book discussions on them.

You guys and gals are more than welcome to check the group out if you like.

Anyhow, Watership Down is a great read, and summer is a great time to dive in, I say!

1 After All These Years
2 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
3 Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret
4 Bad Twin
5 Book of Laws
6 Holy Bible, The
7 A Brief History of Time
8 The Brothers Karamazov
9 Carrie
10 Catch-22
11 The Chronicles of Narnia
12 Dark Horse
13 The Dark Tower
14 Dirty Work
15 Dune
16 The Epic of Gilgamesh
17 Evil Under the Sun
18 The Fountainhead
19 Harry Potter
20 Heart of Darkness
21 Hindsight
22 Holy Qur'an, The
23 Hotel
24 I Ching
25 The Invention of Morel
26 Island
27 Julius Caesar
28 Jurassic Park
29 Kings of Love
30 Lancelot
31 Laughter in the Dark
32 Left Behind
33 Lord of the Flies
34 Moby Dick
35 The Moon Pool
36 The Mysterious Island
37 Oath, The
38 Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
39 The Odyssey
40 Of Mice and Men
41 On Writing
42 Our Mutual Friend
43 O Pioneers!
44 The Outsiders
45 Pearl, The
46 Perfume
47 Rainbow Six
48 Rick Romer's Vision Of Astrology
49 The Shape of Things to Come
50 The Shining
51 Slaughterhouse-Five
52 Stand, The
53 Stranger in a Strange Land
54 The Survivors of the Chancellor
55 A Tale of Two Cities
56 The Third Policeman
57 Through the Looking-Glass
58 To Kill a Mockingbird
59 The Turn of the Screw
60 VALIS
61 Watership Down
62 The Wizard of Oz
63 A Wrinkle in Time

EDIT***** So far on Season 5 I have seen
64.The Little Prince
65. Ulysses
66.A Seperate Reality
67. Everything That Rises Must Converge

message 9: by Russell (new)

Russell (russellweems) | 4 comments I have an addition to the list, though never mentioned in LOST, producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse cite Watchmen, by Alan Moore, as an influence in the show.

Also, The Stand has been another major influence (Jack's bringing in the bomb to the Swan station is a clear allusion to the Trashcan Man). So there are my two votes.

message 10: by Hilary "Fox" (new)

Hilary "Fox" (foxhill) 38 Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
What an absolutely marvelous Twilight Zone episode.

As for Watchmen... although it's mentioned in Lostpedia (of course) Rose and Bernard themselves are a clear allusion to the text.

(Bernard starts running the newsstand in the comic after his wife Rose dies of cancer.)'

Last season pretty much was The Stand, Russ. And a what a wonderful season it was!

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 4 comments May I suggest that to read the Bible or Qur'an, it might go easier to read some everyday along with our regular book club books? Both are fairly long and the Bible has disjointed stories throughout which can be difficult to read straight through like a novel. What do ya'll think?

message 12: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments Thanks Lori for that list

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Your welcome. Like I said, I had copied it from Lostpedia for my own group, so it was no biggie.

Lots of great reading in there :)

message 14: by Davida "Davi" (new)

Davida "Davi" (dlsteinb) | 1 comments The WashingtonPost has had a LOST book club, also, online. Go to Washingtonpost.com -> Arts and Living -> Television -> LOST Central and you should see it.

Because of them I read ON WRITING by Stephen King. Not explicitly shown on screen but said to influence the LOST writers, and there are quite a few correlations. And a mysterious bunny with a number on it... :)

message 15: by Yana (new)

Yana D. (yanad) I like the look of the list - and I'm all for Watership Down as a first selection. I'll also be checking out Flight 815er's Unite. Anyone ready to choose a "read by" date?

message 16: by Echo (new)

Echo (EchoGroks) | 8 comments I'm on board. I have already picked up Watership Down and will be able to start reading next week.
I am not sure what an appropriate timeframe is...2-3 weeks? Maybe say end of June? What do people think?

message 17: by Yana (new)

Yana D. (yanad) I just bought my copy Friday, so I'm ready to go. The end of June works fine for me. Is the 28th a good date? This way everyone who wants to participate will hopefully have books. I think I read that someone ordered their books, this should give enough time for the books to ship, and then to be read. Happy reading!

message 18: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments Ya that works for me. End of June it is.
I ordered it online, so hopefully I'll get it in time.

message 19: by Hilary "Fox" (new)

Hilary "Fox" (foxhill) Should we start a separate thread for our little bunnies?

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I think it would work best if you had a separate thread for each novel you choose to read or discuss together.

I read Watership Down quite a few months ago and would love to chat about it when you are ready!

message 21: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) I read Watership Down many years ago, but I'm excited about an excuse to reread it. I even bought a copy of it awhile ago and look forward to discussing it.

message 22: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments Lori wrote: "I think it would work best if you had a separate thread for each novel you choose to read or discuss together.

I read Watership Down quite a few months ago and would love to chat about it when ..."

Ya I think that would be a tad more organized
Good Idea!

message 23: by Echo (new)

Echo (EchoGroks) | 8 comments While we are reading Watership Down, shall we start a vote for the July's book? But first, is the above list the complete list of book in consideration?

message 24: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments Echo wrote: "While we are reading Watership Down, shall we start a vote for the July's book? But first, is the above list the complete list of book in consideration?"
Yes.
Pick and choose from that List what you want to read next.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (littlelittlebookworm) | 1 comments also, on ABC.com if you go to the LOST page, there is a link called "LOST Bookclub". It gives a list of books that appear of the show by season and episode.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/inde...

message 26: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments So has everyone started reading Watership Down?

message 27: by Val (new)

Val | 11 comments Oh! I'm new to the group but I'm going to get the book as soon as I can so I can participate! Sounds fun!

message 28: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments Glad you joined us

message 29: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments OK, so I finished "Watership Down" today.
Should we open a new thread for each book we read or just keep it all in this thread?

message 30: by Fran (new)

Fran | 3 comments Looks like I missed Watership Down. But would you guy be up for reading Left Behind next?

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Fran, the whole series or just the first book?
I read that entire original series (not the prequels that came after) as they were coming out in hardcovers. One is just not enough, if you like it.... you are going to have to read them all :)

The great thing with that series is that it reads really really quickly.

And, btw, dont watch the movie version of it.. it was horrible!

message 32: by Yana (new)

Yana D. (yanad) Patrick, I'm all for opening a new thread for each book for discussion. I can't wait to chat about Watership!

message 33: by Fran (new)

Fran | 3 comments Lori wrote: "Fran, the whole series or just the first book?
I read that entire original series (not the prequels that came after) as they were coming out in hardcovers. One is just not enough, if you like it....."

Whatever works for everybody else is fine with me. Should we just read the 1st one and then take a break from the story line and read something else before we continue on through the series, or just plan to read them all together, orrrrr wait and see how we want to handle it until we are nearing the end of the first??

message 34: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments is left behind a lost book?

message 35: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments OK so I started a separate thread for Watership Down

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Patrick, yes, the first of the series appears on the Lost Lit List...

message 37: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments Do you remember when its was referenced in the show?

message 38: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments So what does everyone want to read next?
My vote is "A Wrinkle in time"
Some more light reading for the summer

message 39: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments OK so, I'm going to try and revive this thread....

What does everyone want to read next for the book club?

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Patrick, no, I do not remember exactly when it was mentioned, I dont think anyone was seen reading it... I think it was just a book that influenced the writers.

message 41: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments So I guess this thread is dead

message 42: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) Not necessarily! Let's revive it.

message 43: by Echo (new)

Echo (EchoGroks) | 8 comments How long do we have till Lost is back on air? 3-4 months? I think we can get a couple books in by then. ;o) I think "A Winkle in Time" is a great choice.

message 44: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1 comments I would be up for trying to get some books in before the new season starts! Wrinkle in Time is good. The Turn of the Screw looks like a short read. Island, Catch 22 are other books on the list that sound good. Moby Dick would be a good book to get into and see exactly how it relates. A Brief History of Time?

message 45: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) Sounds like everyone is good with A Wrinkle in Time. One of my all-time favorites! It will be especially fun looking at it through Lost glasses. Instead of reading it, though, I'm going to listen to it. And it's narrated by Madeleine L'Engle herself!

message 46: by Echo (new)

Echo (EchoGroks) | 8 comments Luanne, are you getting the audiobook through iTunes, podcasts or other? I love listeni g to books (helps me multitask). If you have a link pls share. ;o)

message 47: by Luann (last edited Sep 20, 2009 03:01AM) (new)

Luann (azbookgal) Echo, I got it from the public library. The exact same version is available for download at Audible and also on iTunes.

Edit: I see from the reviews on Audible that some people don't think Madeleine L'Engle made a good narrator. I still think it's cool to listen to it read by the actual author - although I might think differently once I've listened to the whole book.

message 48: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments My Brother and I, made a Lost season 6 trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nqmek...

Check it out.

message 49: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) Wow, great job!! Thanks for sharing.

message 50: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (AlexanderSupertramp) | 31 comments OK
So if anybody is interested. I am starting "The Stand". The book that the producers of Lost has said is one of the, if not the biggest, influences on the show!

So anybody want to read it with me??

« previous 1