Everything Booklikes & Leafmarks discussion

Help with using BookLikes > Tips and things about BookLikes

Comments (showing 151-200 of 789) (789 new)    post a comment »

message 151: by Ian (last edited Sep 27, 2013 11:44PM) (new)

Ian (setaian) So...I have the scrolling text...I used this code...

<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left">Man drives SUV outside of city limits, says it justifies buying 4X4 -- Cab driver accidentally takes shortest route -- Psychic predicts parents disappointment in his career choice -- Hamburgler get's 25 to life -- Scientists prove returning DVD is less fun than hiring it -- Sperm bank trials online banking --</marquee>

I was wondering if there is any way I can slow it down and make the font a little bigger?

You can look at it here....it's on the left hand side bar at the bottom...a bit too small and a bit too fast.

http://setaian.booklikes.com

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 24 comments I feel like I've made one mistake after another. Accidentally reblogging my own post, then reblogging someone else's without adding in the credit to them...both embarrassing moments, haha.

I figured it all out though. In stylebot, you have to click the ccs button at the bottom, copy that code, then add it to the ccs window at the bottom of the customize blog sidebar. Not hard at all, once I knew how.

Change background : dashboard > click on wheel in upper right hand corner > click on blog tab > scroll down to themes and click on customize > scroll down to the bottom of the sidebar and find the button to upload the background

message 153: by AnnaLund (new)

AnnaLund | 33 comments Here. A page full of useful How To links

Enjoy!

http://J4N3M3.booklikes.com/post/2427...

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 24 comments Batgrl wrote: "Stacia ~ Admittedly Apathetic wrote: "A friend might be able to walk me through it but I'm not sure yet. I think maybe I was supposed to copy paste the code somewhere after I did the changes.

*gr..."

Thanks for that. I don't feel so bad now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 24 comments Ian wrote: "I like sparkling water too. San Pellegrino all the way!!!"

You must be rich. :p I get the cheap generic stuff and add a slice of lime.

Silver Thistle {adores JAFF & TEOTWAWKI.  Oh, and accronyms :P} (SilverThistle) I used to use Firebug to edit css but since moving over to BL I got the tip to use stylebot on chrome and I'm loving it.

So easy to use and get the page you want.

http://silverthistle.booklikes.com/

That's actually one of the reasons I think I'll be moving there permanently. Blog, tumblr, GR alternative and I get to jazz up my page how I like it....all in one place.

message 157: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 5 comments Love your style, Silverthistle!

Silver Thistle {adores JAFF & TEOTWAWKI.  Oh, and accronyms :P} (SilverThistle) oliviasbooks wrote: "Love your style, Silverthistle!"
Thank you :D

message 159: by Caro (new)

Caro M. (caro_martian) After I'm almost done (or more like Booklikes is done) with moving all of my lists, I can see that there are issues with books in other languages, especially those that are not available on amazon or any other online bookshop/booksearch (that are associated with BL I guess). They have to be added manually, most likely, as we non-english readers practice it here on GR, I'm not sure though, I haven't tried it yet. Although I really like BL, I'm VERY confused so far, lol...

message 160: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I am not sure if this has been explained...

I do not understand what is meant by "reblogg". Please explain. When would one reblogg something for example?

How do I change how a book imported from GR is shelved?

Is there a way to change the names of shelves imported from GR?

Thanks in advance.

message 161: by Ian (last edited Sep 28, 2013 04:37AM) (new)

Ian (setaian) Reblogging is just taking someone else's blog entry and posting it in its entirety to your blog.

So if someone you follow says something that you would like all of your followers to read you might reblog it. It's important to very clearly label that it is someone else's post and to give them proper credit.

message 162: by Zafia (last edited Sep 28, 2013 04:42AM) (new)

Zafia | 82 comments Reblog would be to sorta showcase another's piece.

Find the book, click it, click edit shelves and save when done.

Find the shelf in question, click it and you'll see a pen/marker w/e it's called, click it and change shelf name.

///

What I find really nice is that you can get commas and no more - instead you get reg spaces and you can use big letters if that is what one wants.

//Edited bc of typos

message 163: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann Looks like you can really get crazy with dressing up your page/blog. Reminds me a lot like "MySpace." The weird thing is, it showed that I was already following 26 people and I had just opened the account and I know I didn't accidentally check "follow" 26 times. And speaking of following I find it very complicated to follow people.

message 164: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie ian and Zafia, thanks about the reblog - very weird that you can put another's blog on your own. I agree you must say where you got it!

About changing a book's shelves: I tried finding the book through both the top search function and on my shelves. In both places when I clicked there there only came a screen showing Amazon's price and there was a button to delete, but no change shelves. Is it that you have to look for the book in a particular manner, at a particular place? My importing is not complete, the shelves have no books on them. Is that the problem?

Changing the shelf name did work. Thanks.

message 165: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 82 comments If the importing is not complete then I suggest you wait til it is, before making any changes reg books/shelves.

I wouldn't change a shelf name before all my books were on it and the entire process done. Idk if it can botch something up that you changed it prematurely?

message 166: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 28, 2013 06:32AM) (new)

Chrissie OK, Zafia. Maybe it will work later......when the books are on the shelves. Some reviews are already imported.

But how do you find one of your own books? Do you do it from your shelf tab or your blog tab or by using that search box? I admit, I am having a hard time!

message 167: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 82 comments I do it from shelf tab and then the shelf where it's placed.
But you can also find it through the search box.

message 168: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 28, 2013 10:13AM) (new)

Chrissie Zafia, OK, I found the book by searching on the shelf page. THANK YOU.

I had one book I was currently reading. Somehow it is now "read" and been given two stars, but I cannot figure out how to write my review for the book. Here is the problem: I clicked on the book. Then I clicked on "create a post". At the top the book is shown. I clicked on text. Since I have already written the review on Word and copied it onto the clipboard, I then right clicked in the text area, but there was no paste choice!!! I feel like giving up! HELP!!!!!

Silver Thistle {adores JAFF & TEOTWAWKI.  Oh, and accronyms :P} (SilverThistle) Chrissie wrote: "Zafia, OK, I found the book by searching on the shelf page. THANK YOU.

I had one book I was currently reading. Somehow it is now "read" and been given two stars, but I cannot figure out how to wri..."

I have that too, but I think it's because the upload hasn't finished yet. I'd give it time to upload in it's entirety until I started trying to add and amend stuff.

If you're ever in a position when 'paste' isn't an option, try Ctrl+V that shortcut usually works.

And, Ctrl+C works to copy.

....and Ctrl+Z is 'undo' :)

message 170: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Thank you, Silver Thistle. OK, I will cool down and wait. Oh yeah, I never thought of trying the shortcuts. I will still wait until all is done.

message 171: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 82 comments Those ctrl shortcuts works wonders most of the time.
Although I wouldn't mess with any of that until its complete.

message 172: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (Heather_FL) Chrissie wrote: "Zafia, OK, I found the book by searching on the shelf page. THANK YOU.

I had one book I was currently reading. Somehow it is now "read" and been given two stars, but I cannot figure out how to wri..."

When you do your post, to the right, you can mark it as a review. Just FYI in case you didn't see that. Doesn't help with the C&P, but hopefully with the review part.

message 173: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Heaather, yup that is how I got the stars!

But now I am doing nothing until everything is imported.

I need patience......

Thanks all of you for your advice and calming me down a bit. I felt like smashing the computer.

message 174: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Really important to leave things alone until the import is finished!!

message 175: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (Heather_FL) Chrissie wrote: "Heaather, yup that is how I got the stars!

But now I am doing nothing until everything is imported.

I need patience......

Thanks all of you for your advice and calming me down a bit. I felt lik..."

I've been feeling like that. I was excited when I found the "progress" entry, lol. I know I'll get used to it like I did with GR, but it doesn't feel as intuitive.

message 176: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Bunny wrote: "Really important to leave things alone until the import is finished!!"

That I have learned!

message 177: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie The thing is I have been on GR from the beginning so I only had to learn one little thing at a time.

message 178: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 28, 2013 11:42AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 24 comments I remember being overwhelmed when I joined GR, but at least then it felt like there was more room to move around and explore because most everything on this site is done through clicking - click to the giveaways, click to the listopia, click to your inbox, click to edit your profile, etc. The learning curve consisted of figuring out how to post a picture or a spoiler tag.

For those new to css (or have little blogging experience), navigating around BL is like taking a final exam without having studied for the test.

But thankfully, there have been so many people who have been willing to help out, that it's taken some of the sting out of learning.

message 179: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Stacia ~ Admittedly Apathetic wrote: "For those new to css (or have little blogging experience), navigating around BL is like taking a final exam without having studied for the test."

Now you have me laughing, and I needed to laugh! :0)

message 180: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 82 comments Well don't feel bad Chrissie - I'm no good at the whole css aspect either *shrugs*
It is what it is.

message 181: by Ellelou (new)

Ellelou | 9 comments Does anyone know how to do spoilers on Booklikes?
I copied and pasted the review from GR with some little playing around the bolds and italics are ok but the spoilers just not working.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

message 182: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 82 comments So far they haven't got a spoiler hide as GR, only a red notice in top where it say "spoiler alert!".
If, when writing the review, you click spoiler on the right side below the review button you can get the spoiler alert.
Looks like this when done;
http://zafia.booklikes.com/post/21689...

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 24 comments Is there a way to remove something from your feed?

message 184: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Thanks, Zafia.

Silver Thistle {adores JAFF & TEOTWAWKI.  Oh, and accronyms :P} (SilverThistle) Chrissie wrote: "The thing is I have been on GR from the beginning so I only had to learn one little thing at a time."
You'll get the hang of it in time Chrissie :)

You've been here on GR a month longer than I have so I know what you mean about learning a new site. Don't stress though, sometimes it'll feel like we're running to catch up but really we're all in the same boat and learning as we go.

No reader left behind, and all that :D

message 186: by Ellelou (new)

Ellelou | 9 comments Zafia wrote: "So far they haven't got a spoiler hide as GR, only a red notice in top where it say "spoiler alert!".
If, when writing the review, you click spoiler on the right side below the review button you c..."

Thank you!

message 187: by Carly (last edited Sep 28, 2013 12:03PM) (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 40 comments I need to go back and insert mine, but here's how. Insert a span with style="color:transparent" around your spoiler. Like this (but remove the spaces):
< span style="color:transparent"> lots of spoilery stuff here that won't be visible until you highlight it < /span>

BTW, I did actually try this on BL and check that it works, but it didn't work when I imported the reviews in this style. I have to go in and do it manually in the "raw text" view of the review.

I'm actually working on an import script to do it manually, but the slow import has been killing my ability to debug.

message 188: by Ellelou (new)

Ellelou | 9 comments Carly wrote: "I need to go back and insert mine, but here's how. Insert a span with style="color:transparent" around your spoiler. Like this (but remove the spaces):
lots of spoilery stuff here that won't be v..."

Thank you, will give it a try.

message 189: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 82 comments I can't get that to work no matter how I write it - Obviously I'm doing something wrong because the code shows.

message 190: by Carly (last edited Sep 28, 2013 12:22PM) (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 40 comments Zafia wrote: "I can't get that to work no matter how I write it - Obviously I'm doing something wrong because the code shows."

I tried it about a week ago and got it to work, although I used color:white instead of transparent because I'd forgotten my css...let me retry it and then I'll write better instructions.

**edit: OK, I have it working. Make sure you're in HTML mode--click the little button that says "HTML" on the very right of the editor options at the top. It will bring you to a window that says "HTML Source Editor"; insert your spoiler tag there as something like [SPOILER] <*span style="color:transparent">lots of fun spoilery text<*/span>

But remove the *'s.

Here's an example of what it does: http://pagefault.booklikes.com/post/4...-

Silver Thistle {adores JAFF & TEOTWAWKI.  Oh, and accronyms :P} (SilverThistle) Zafia wrote: "I can't get that to work no matter how I write it - Obviously I'm doing something wrong because the code shows."

I haven't tried using it yet as I'm still waiting for my upload to finish, but there's a little checkbox at the right hand side of the page where you write your posts that just says 'spoiler'. Not sure what it does though.

message 192: by Carly (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 40 comments Silver Thistle wrote: "Zafia wrote: "I can't get that to work no matter how I write it - Obviously I'm doing something wrong because the code shows."

I haven't tried using it yet as I'm still waiting for my upload to fi..."

It apparently marks the whole post as a spoiler. I love spoiler-tags--I tend to put single sentences in spoilers to essentially create two versions of each review; one with and one without spoilers. The css -invis trick will do this for you.

message 193: by Ellelou (new)

Ellelou | 9 comments Carly wrote: "Zafia wrote: "I can't get that to work no matter how I write it - Obviously I'm doing something wrong because the code shows."

I tried it about a week ago and got it to work, although I used color..."

Yes, I tried it but the whole spoiler text is just blank space!

Silver Thistle {adores JAFF & TEOTWAWKI.  Oh, and accronyms :P} (SilverThistle) Carly wrote: "It apparently marks the whole post as a spoiler.."

Good to know. I suspected as much but I don't write spoilers so it would probably have taken me forever to find out on my own :)

message 195: by Carly (last edited Sep 28, 2013 12:26PM) (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 40 comments Ellelou wrote: "Yes, I tried it but the whole spoiler text is just blank space! ..."

Exactly. Now highlight it with your cursor.
As far as I know, you can't get javascript working in BL, and that's what you'd need to actually show/hide a div.

**edit I have a conference paper deadline for the next two weeks, but once that is over, I'm going to badger the BL team about (a) correctly importing HTML stuff (currently it looks like they trash it during bulk import) and (b) letting us use a tiny bit of javascript.

message 196: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 82 comments I got it working now - The problem was that I wasn't in the html section before. Applied in html mode it works - Although would be nice with a quick click like it is here.

message 197: by Carly (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 40 comments Zafia wrote: "I got it working now - The problem was that I wasn't in the html section before. Applied in html mode it works - Although would be nice with a quick click like it is here."

Yeah, it's sad because it's really easy to do in HTML; you just need to use a tiny bit of javascript to show/hide the div. Sigh.

message 198: by Carly (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 40 comments OK, I sent a request for:
--blockquotes to be supported (currently the blockquote tag is ignored)
--either the creation of a javascript spoiler tag or allowing us to have inline javascript
--the ability to import without having all html stripped.
Hopefully I'll hear back at some point.

message 199: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 82 comments I just want a place where I can C/P it from that's conveniently placed close by like this some html is ok box.

message 200: by Ellelou (new)

Ellelou | 9 comments I tried copy and paste thing on HTML mode but the formatting was all over the place...hum...am getting tired now and the fact I'm working from my iPad mini is not helping.

Might try again tomorrow from my MacBook ...my brain is just mush at the moment...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hover (other topics)
John Adams (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gore Vidal (other topics)