The Color Purple The Color Purple discussion

transformation

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leslie I was wondering if anyone else experiences this book as I do: an amazing transformation. Celie goes from being this powerless, raped, little girl to being a powerful woman. I love this book and the movie. It's like therapy for me. It's like, see? It can happen!

message 2: by Tressa (last edited Feb 07, 2008 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tressa Both the movie and book are magnificent. I watch it everytime I see it's on TV, no matter what part of the movie is playing. The ending is stunning and I'm always reduced to a wet paper bag when Celie's children come home.

There has been controversy about Mr.'s abusive role in the story. I guess some feel that to highlight an abusive African-American male reflects badly on a race. But there are abusive men and women of every race and I just never understood this complaint. His abuse is what gives Celie the power to go from victim to victor.

Leslie I have the dvd, and there have been certain times in my life that I've watched it almost every day. I needed to see Celie's transformation over and over. I still watch it often. It's sad that people sometimes object to telling the "truth" even in fiction. Like you said, abuse happens in every group. It seems ignorant to object to talking about it. I've heard that too, that Alice Walker is disloyal if she portrays black people any way but positively. She's an artist, and she portrays what inspires her.

Tressa Artists shouldn't be put in a box and told what they should and shouldn't write. If every writer wrote only glowing views about their own cultures, we wouldn't have A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Red Tent, and, hey, just about any great novel!

Leslie I agree. Artists portray their truth and should never be put in a box. Isn't that what they did in Maoist China and Stalinist Russia?

Monalesia I think this book was one of those literary works that underscores the power of language, imagery, tone, tension, texture, voice. There are so many wonderful books out there that have the power to change lives...this is definitely one of them.

I vaguely remember that this book really rubbed many black men the wrong way, but hey, I think really good literature does just that: makes us angry, happy, sad, thoughtful, inspired. Indeed, along with The Bone People and Fall on Your Knees, as well as Bastard Out of Carolina, this book is right up there on the scale of "Fabulous."

Leslie I agree--the bottom line is power. Like when Mr. threw Nettie off his land when she wouldn't have sex with him. He had the power--he was bigger, he could just pick her up and carry her, he owned the land, so he had the financial power. When he said leave, she didn't have the option of staying. I really believe that most of the terrible things that happen in this world have to do with the abuse of power. I believe that there are a lot of "mini-dictators" that have a kingdom of one house and all the people who live there, and those are the people they tyrannize. And it isn't always the man. But it goes from nations to families and every institution in between. Any situation that has some people having power over other people is a place where abuse can happen. I guess I'm on my soap box again. I will keep my eyes open for the soundtrack, the music is beautiful.
Leslie

message 8: by Euniq (new) - added it

Euniq Davis This book for me is a reminder of what women can do when they are fed up and tired. Why does it have to get to that point in the first place? Women allowing men or any other person to run over them before we do as Celie did. Celie inspired not just us but the women that surrounded her such as Sofia and Shug. We should allow this book to inspire us to be better examples for our daughters, sisters, cousins, and the little girl down the street.

Euniq

p.s the soundtrack was spectacular.