European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Nominations > How this will work (for now)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments For those who are interested, we are going to try to read one book a month as a group so we can discuss it. Each month, one person will nominate three possible books for us to read. Then the group will vote to pick which of the books nominated will be read that month. If there is a tie, the person who nominated the three books will be the tie-breaker. All of this will take place in this folder so people can find it easily.

As for when the actual discussion starts, we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes people to get the book. We can adjust as we go along.

As for who nominates the books, it seems easiest to go in alphabetical order (of the people interested in nominating books) to start off. So far, I know Despina, MBP, Sera and myself are interested in nominating books. Anyone who wants to be on the list, or if I added you and you don't want to be on the list, just post a comment here. After the first nomination takes place, we will just keep adding names to the bottom of the list as people become interested in nominating books (once again, for those interested, just leave a comment here).

We have a tentative nomination date set for February 10. Voting on which book to read will tentatively end February 15. Even if you don't want to nominate books, please feel free to vote for one to read!

On February 10, I'll post here who should nominate three books unless there is some objection (right now it would be Despina). Once the books are listed, go ahead and vote!

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Despina, don't worry if you haven't read the book yet - feel free to pick books you would like to read.

I would only suggest that books choosen deal with or at least touch on some aspect of European Royalty or aristocracy (any person/family, any country, any time period - it's wide open), but either historical fiction or non-fiction is fine. The books don't necessarily have to be strictly about a king or queen or royal family, but if they are somehow worked in that would be preferable (like I know there are quite a few books about King's mistresses - they're not royalty, but the connection is there).

message 3: by Sara W (last edited Feb 06, 2008 02:52PM) (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Yeah, go ahead and post your nominations (might as well get started - I think everyone interested in nominating right now has said so). We'll have our beginning list of nominators be:

Despina
MBP
Sara (me)
Sera

Anyone else who would like to nominate books will be added to the bottom of that list (pretty much first come first serve - we'll add people as they come). We'll just keep rotating through the list each month unless we get too many people.

Everyone is free to vote! Let's say voting will last until the morning of Feb. 11 and at that point we'll add up the votes and have our winner (shouldn't be too hard with only 18 people!). I know this pushes up the dates I stated earlier, but we might as well get started (especially so people can start tracking down the book).

If anyone has any objections to these new dates, feel free to post it here or send me a message. Otherwise, lets get this process underway!

And Despina, I love your enthusiasm for historical fiction and non-fiction even though you've just started reading it! It's going to be great discussing books with you and everyone else!

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments I think that's a great idea. Some books we choose may not be currently published, so it will be good to give people time to hit the library or used book sellers (I would hate to be limited to things just available at the store now). I don't think it will be a problem overlapping the nominating/voting with the discussion. Even though we started this month a little late, I don't think it will be too bad since we won't start any discussion on the next book until March 15. The first month was bound to have a lot of tweaking, but I think we're putting this thing together pretty well!

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments OMG, no, not at all! Your ideas have been really helpful! When I started this group, I really didn't think about actually reading a book together, but the group was pretty quiet, so I thought it might be a good way to get some discussions going. It seems to be working b/c more people are joining and chatting. The more feedback the better. Thank you for your input! I'm more of a type-B personality anyway, so it works perfectly!

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera I've been traveling for work so I just read through this thread. Great job on the parameters of this book group! I also like the idea of going from the 15th to the 15th of each month so there is less overlap with our book clubs.

Well, done; I'm really looking forward to this.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) Great plan! I'm excited to get reading :)

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Delors (CatherineDelors) | 36 comments I am interested in becoming a nominator too!

message 9: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Awesome Catherine! I'll add you to the list.