Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2) Death Note, Vol. 2 discussion

L Lawliet and Asperger Syndrome?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (last edited May 30, 2009 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris Hey, I know this is kind of arbitrary, but have you ever noticed how L seems to have alot of the symptoms of an individual with Asperger Syndrome/High Functioning Autism? I am by no means posing this question as an insult to the character, in fact, it's quite the opposite. I think it would be pretty cool if he had it. Just let me know what you think, because I'm really dying to get a few opinions on this theory.

Annisa UuU Yeah i also know about this, and many anime freak know about this. This is even give a character power and make him unique

Alex Sinclair I agree. I think this makes him a much better character and more likeable, as L could have easily been an annoying character if he was too much of the "Cliche" hero, but again. It comes down to amazing writing on the authors part.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The reasons that he acts like that is because he has been socluded for most of his life, and hasn't seen much of the outside world so he dosn't get other people and how to deal with them... yeah.

Valerie Yeah, I can see that... my boyfriend has auspergers, and I have a friend who has it as well. And, well... I display some symptoms, but I haven't been diagnosed.

Someone should ask the author... that definately makes him more interesting. Not that he wasn't interesting before! xD Ah... I love L.

message 6: by Anna (last edited Nov 29, 2012 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Kļaviņa I believe he does have Asperger/autism. It looks to me he suffers from sensory issues, doesn't appear to recognize what is socially polite/acceptable, has sleeping issues and I could continue.
Also it looks (to me) that he depends too much on Watari as if he needs help to function on his own.

edit: I wouldn't bothered to write all above but I couldn't find a essay about L and autism! Of course when I finished I found it without problems!
Here it is:
http://web.archive.org/web/2008042408...

message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose I agree, I have Asperger's syndrome and it seems to me that he has a lot of aspect of it. Although you do have a lot of good points, it's not necessarily the fact because not everyone with aspergers (asd) have these; my point is that he most likely does suffer from the disability but it is just my personal opinion due to me, myself suffering from most of the same symptoms.