Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > The Nightmare Chronicles by Douglas Clegg

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patmagazine) | 5 comments Has anyone read this or anything else by him? I just picked it up at a used store because I heard it was a scary short stories collection.

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 186 comments I haven't read his short fiction, but I've read "The Hour Before Dark" and didn't love it. The writing just felt very pedestrian to me, and the characters were flat. I wanted to like it, because I get his newsletter and he seems like an extremely nice guy. Maybe his short fiction is better!

message 3: by James (new)

James | 173 comments THE HOUR BEFORE DARK isn't one of Clegg's best, IMHO. I suggest you check out NEVERLAND and THE CHILDREN'S HOUR -- those are fantastic.

THE NIGHTMARE CHRONICLES is a really good collection, Patrick. Check out the story "The Little Mermaid," which is one of my favorites. Creepy stuff . . . .

J.N.
http://www.james-newman.com

message 4: by James (new)

James | 173 comments >>>'The Halloween Man' which I found
>>>a chore to finish....

I agree, Rob. I also had a hard time getting through YOU COME WHEN I CALL YOU. Otherwise, Clegg usually blows me away every time . . . .

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, definitely read his shorts.

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patmagazine) | 5 comments thanks for responding, i was definitely into the book, here's my review:

There were some pleasantly creepy moments in this short story collection I found for $2.95 in the dark, dank basement of Chicago's historic used store, Myopic Books. Highlights include stories about a retiree and his wife settling into a house that had previously been the setting for a father's dismemberment and hiding of the body parts of his family, a depression-era girl's fateful encounter with the town renderer, a town hero returning to try and attone for his sins, which were cause for a mandatory curfew, the consequences of which breaking are a fate worse than death, a guy who is really into mermaids, a man who digs holes in his backyard while listening to talk radio really loud, and "The Hurting Season," which is just a good title.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 186 comments Thanks for the review! I will definitely check this out.

message 8: by James (new)

James | 173 comments >>>a depression-era girl's fateful
>>>encounter with the town renderer

Yessss! One of the creepiest stories I've ever read . . . .