Between the Lines discussion

Archive > Banned Stienbeck books

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

East of Eden: Alabama 1982 because it is "ungodly and obscene. South Carolina because it uses the Name of the Lord in vain and prfane manner along with inappropriate sexual references.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

In Dubious Battle: banned in Ireland 1953 no reason given.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Grapes of Wrath: New York 1939 because it has "vulgar words". California because the s cene of the novel. Ireland 1953 no reason given. Turkey because they were spreading propagnada unfavorable to the state.

Many more reasons were listed.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Of Mice and Men: where to begin. It has been banned in some many places. 1953 in Ireland, no reason given. 1974 in Indiana no reason given. KKK challenged the book in 1977 in South Carolina. Banned in Alabama for profanity and using the Lords name in vain. Peru Illinois because it wasn't age appropriate. 2006 in Pennsylvannia because of racial slurs.

This list is huge.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Red Pony: NY in 1980 because it is "filthy, trashy, sex novel". Alabama because profanity and violence.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The Wayward Bus: 1953 placed on list of books disapproved by Gathings Committe (House of Representatives slect committe on indecent literature). Banned in Ireland 1953 no reason given.

message 7: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) Sounds like Ireland has banned all his books- and for no reason... haha

message 8: by Franny (last edited Jul 06, 2009 08:45PM) (new)

Franny Burd Emilee wrote: "Of Mice and Men: where to begin. It has been banned in some many places. 1953 in Ireland, no reason given. 1974 in Indiana no reason given. KKK challenged the book in 1977 in South Carolina. Banned..."

Hey, if the KKK challenged it, you know it must be good. Now I've GOT to read it! :)

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez | 26 comments "No reason given" makes me think they suspected the book was important somehow, but didn't really understand it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Franny wrote: "Hey, if the KKK challenged it, you know it must be good. Now I've GOT to read it! :)"

This is one of my fav Steinbeck books. You will love it. Quick read and you will need a box of tissues.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara I think you are right. that the book or for that matter any book is important if it is banned for No reason.

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Whoa, this is really interesting. I can't believed Of Mice and Men was banned so many times. I was required to read it for high school...and I went to high school in Indiana where it had previously been banned! Crazyness.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Very crazy!

message 14: by galya (new)

galya Penn in 2006? c'mon, so stupid...

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Canoeist (michaelcanoeist) Agreed -- that is political correctness run amok. Or is that a redundancy?

galya wrote: "Penn in 2006? c'mon, so stupid..."