Romance Society discussion

Bookshelf Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 31, 2009 08:33PM) (new)

I set up some starter books on the group bookshelf. My ultimate goal is to have romantic books that really make people think. Like I said, those are starters feel free to add your own!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I would add more but most of my romances are church books.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Really, what are church books, and what is romantic about them? I wouldnt be upposed if you think they're good.

Lady Ivory Rose (brightangel22) I love this book called "Wait for Me" by An Na. It's really sweet. It's about this girl who is Korean and she falls in love with some boy. It's really sweet, but it may not be what you're looking for. IDK.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Add it to the shelf or I will. :P The shelf is for books you deem romantic that like and you want someone to try. Its reccomendations more than anything else. Add what you will. I'm just hoping no one will add something strange, like Winnie the Pooh. haha.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ya, not much romance in that.

Lady Ivory Rose (brightangel22) Haha, that would be funny as a joke though. I would add Winnie the Pooh and Wait for me if I could, but my computer's screwed up and it won't let me add books.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

that stinks

Lady Ivory Rose (brightangel22) Probably better for you guys! Joking. Whenever I use my mom's computer, I can, but it's rare that I get to.

message 10: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary Melzz ,, Mae,, Marrissa.. Britty,,, Chick and EmRose... I would like to recommend this novel for you gals... especially for gals book....
This is the only novel I know so far that's written by a beautiful woman that transcends and timeless itself... Feel free to recommend for me some of your great feminine authors...... In the meantime:

The Tale of Genji (源氏物語 Genji Monogatari?) is a classic work of Japanese literature attributed to the Japanese noblewoman Murasaki Shikibu in the early eleventh century, around the peak of the Heian Period. It is sometimes called the world's first novel, the first modern novel, the first psychological novel or the first novel to still be considered a classic, though this issue is a matter of debate (see Stature below).
The first partial translation of Genji Monogatari into English was by Suematsu Kenchō. A free translation of all but one chapter was produced by Arthur Waley.[1:] Edward Seidensticker made the first complete translation into English, using a more literal method than Waley.[2:] The most recent English translation, by Royall Tyler (2001), also tries to be faithful to the original text.[3:] Diet member Marutei Tsurunen has also made a translation in Finnish.
Contents [hide:]
1 Introduction
2 Stature
3 Authorship
4 Plot
5 Completion
6 Literary context
7 Modern readership
7.1 Japanese
7.2 English translations
8 Structure
8.1 List of chapters
9 Manuscripts
10 Illustrated scroll
11 Film adaptations
12 Operatic adaptations
13 Notes
14 Bibliography
15 See also
16 External links
[edit:]Introduction

The Genji was written chapter by chapter in installments, as Murasaki delivered the tale to women of the aristocracy (the yokibito). It has many elements found in a modern novel: a central character and a very large number of major and minor characters, well-developed characterization of all the major players, a sequence of events happening over a period of time covering the central character's lifetime and beyond. The work does not make use of a plot; instead, much as in real life, events just happen and characters evolve simply by growing older. One remarkable feature of the Genji, and of Murasaki's skill, is its internal consistency, despite a dramatis personae of some four hundred characters. For instance, all characters age in step and all the family and feudal relationships are consistent among all chapters.
One complication for readers and translators of the Genji is that almost none of the characters in the original text is given an explicit name. The characters are instead referred to by their function or role (e.g. Minister of the Left), an honorific (e.g. His Excellency), or their relation to other characters (e.g. Heir Apparent), which may all change as the novel progresses. This lack of names stems from Heian-era court manners that would have made it unacceptably familiar and blunt to freely mention a character's name. Modern readers and translators have, to a greater or lesser extent, used various nicknames to keep track of the many characters. See List of characters from The Tale of Genji.
[edit:]Stature

“ The Tale of Genji, as translated by Arthur Waley, is written with an almost miraculous naturalness, and what interests us is not the exoticism — the horrible word — but rather the human passions of the novel. Such interest is just: Murasaki's work is what one would quite precisely call a psychological novel. [...:] I dare to recommend this book to those who read me. The English translation that has inspired this brief insufficient note is called The Tale of Genji. ”
—Jorge Luis Borges, The Total Library
The Tale of Genji is an important fictional work of Japanese literature, and numerous modern authors have cited it as inspiration. It is noted for its internal consistency, psychological depiction, and characterization. The novelist Yasunari Kawabata said in his Nobel Prize acceptance speech: "The Tale of Genji in particular is the highest pinnacle of Japanese literature. Even down to our day there has not been a piece of fiction to compare with it".

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

You could have just added it to bookshelf here.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok.

message 13: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary Hi all! I would like to recommend this novel..

"Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy......

About a beautiful woman commiting adultery...
But because of Tolstoy's genius makes the whole story all sublime.. and inspirational!

Anna Karinina is widely held to be the epitome of realistic fiction in the western world....Next only to "War and Peace" ....

Tolstoy's War and Peace is epicness and vastness..
His Anna Karenina is personal and subjective...

Check it out!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

*Gasp* but Jerin. How can you reccomend a novel when you've read "0 books"? Just kidding. :)

Sounds good, seems like that "darkness" thing you were talking about once.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Added it.

message 16: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary :)

message 17: by Lady Ivory Rose (new)

Lady Ivory Rose (brightangel22) Just Listen by Sarah Dessen or have I already recommended that book?

message 18: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary sounds compelling! Em Rose! ..I just did a quick research....about a girl who has everything!... but all of a sudden she was violated!

message 19: by Lady Ivory Rose (new)

Lady Ivory Rose (brightangel22) Really? Was it a book or something?

message 20: by Lady Ivory Rose (new)

Lady Ivory Rose (brightangel22) What were you researching?

message 21: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary Just Listen by Sara Dessen......

I surf the web... Found good reviews on it. Recommended for the young adults.

Sara Dessen's 7th book.

I am still researching if it is her best book so far
i do not know

message 22: by Lady Ivory Rose (new)

Lady Ivory Rose (brightangel22) I don't think so because few people that I know have heard of it.

message 23: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary What have you heard about it? Em Rose

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 27, 2009 10:03PM) (new)

That's wierd, Just Listen by Sarah Dessen sounds a lot like my favorite book Speak that was first published in 1999 while Just Listen was published in 2006.

message 25: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary I have a feeling that mrs. Anderson and mrs.Dessen don't / won't ever had/have a beef against each other Melzz.... The theme is age old and ubiquitous... At least in the modern times... Besides i have seen their pictures ... They seem good women *wink*

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a movie based on this book ---> Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

message 27: by Lady Ivory Rose (new)

Lady Ivory Rose (brightangel22) Oh wow! I might have to read that.

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments it's a good book

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments may i recommend "hunger games"? i just finished. it's good.

message 30: by Lady Ivory Rose (new)

Lady Ivory Rose (brightangel22) I love that series, except for the fact that the 1st one ends on a cliff hanger.

message 31: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary Mae.... It seems that 'Hunger Games' shall be an instant classic.....
I've found this review on Wiki...
---

The Hunger Games was received well by critics. In Stephen King's review for Entertainment Weekly, he said, "Reading The Hunger Games is as addictive (and as violently simple) as playing one of those shoot-it-if-it-moves videogames in the lobby of the local eightplex; you know it's not real, but you keep plugging in quarters anyway", but also noted that, "Balancing off the efficiency are displays of authorial laziness that kids will accept more readily than adults", and gave the book an overall B grade. Elizabeth Bird of School Library Journal praised the novel, saying, "Collins has written a book that is exciting, poignant, thoughtful, and breathtaking by turns. It ascends to the highest forms of the science fiction genre and will create all new fans for the writer. One of the best books of the 2008 year." Booklist wrote, "Populated by three-dimensional characters, this is a superb tale of physical adventure, political suspense, and romance." In a review for The New York Times, John Green wrote that the novel was "brilliantly plotted and perfectly paced", and that "the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins's convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine"; he also noted, "Collins sometimes fails to exploit the rich allegorical potential here in favor of crisp plotting, but it's hard to fault a novel for being too engrossing."

The Hunger Games has also received a number of awards and honors, including being a USA Today and New York Times Best Seller, and being named one of Publishers Weekly's "Best Books of the Year" in 2008 and a New York Times "Notable Children's Book of 2008"
-----

Definitely a would be classic!