(good) Horror Films discussion

Angel Heart

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ubik (last edited May 29, 2009 10:54PM) (new)

Ubik | 46 comments Ive been meaning to create a thread to discuss this masterpiece of a film for a while and its actually a shame that such a travesty is what prompts me to actually do it. My night was actually ruined tonight upon hearing that Angel Heart, my 4th favorite film in the whole wide world is being remade. Ive been pissed, livid, and as upset as one can imagine feeling upon hearing that many a great, classic film is being remade, but never have I actually cried...and felt so absolutely crushed inside as I was tonight.

For those of you who havent seen it, I cant encourage you enough to do so. If you love Jacob's Ladder and films of that ilk then there is no way in hell (teehee) you can not love this film. Mickey Rourke gives the best performance of his career. Charlotte Rampling, DeNiro, Lisa Bonet, etc all turn in amazing performances...wild, wicked, sick, and best of all the best mindfuck film ever made.

See it. Before it gets turned into some mainstream bullshit in 2011...

(sorry for the cussing and negativeness, but when one of your favorite films of all times is set to be remade and...hehe...youre perhaps just a wee bit ferschnickered...you say the damndest things)

message 2: by George (new)

George | 157 comments One of my all time favorites. solid performances all around and a very interesting concept. so, perhaps Rourke will play DeNiro's role this time. One again, the studio bean counters would rather try a remake than take a risk on anything new.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip I remember liking it but it's been a long time since I viddied it. I think I saw it a few times when it came out and the last time I watched it I remember thinking the ending was a bit over the top. Might be good to go back and revisit it.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Mmmmmmmmmmmm, did someone say Lisa Bonet?

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
I absolutely love this film, Ubik! I cannot believe they're remaking it - I'm sure it will be a travesty. There's no way to better the music, mood, cinematography, and, yes, acting in this film.

The only thing I can think of that would be half-way original is if they actually made a movie that was more faithful to the book - I read it a couple of years ago and found some pretty significant differences between it and the movie - but in this case I like the movie more.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
A side note - I went on imdb and google to try to find out more about this unholy Angel Heart remake (no cast info available right now, unfortunately) and check it - Fright Night is going to be remade too! While I don't treasure this movie the same way I do Angel Heart, I still think it's a pretty good movie - Roddy McDowall is in it, after all, and I thought Chris Sarandon was a great vampire.

Ye gods! Aren't there any original ideas anymore?

message 7: by George (new)

George | 157 comments Anecdotal evidence would suggest that the pods were first placed in Hollywood.

message 8: by George (new)

George | 157 comments Dawn of the Dead Producers.

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Jeezis flecking crisis, someone nneds to make a film called attack of the remakes....where millions of film fans die from sheer boredom and bad taste.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
Poltergeist?

And Buffy without involving Joss Whedon? That's a laugh.

Wow, man. Makes Sam Raimi and his recent Drag Me to Hell look like a genius for having an original idea (nope, haven't seen it yet...)

message 11: by Phillip (new)

Phillip I saw it last night (drag me to hell) and I really liked it.