Young Adult Reader Club discussion

What's been going on in your life?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (missjenna) | 586 comments Mod
This is pretty much a place for you to chat with one another about your day,your week, whatever.

It can be as personal or as general as you'd like.

It is just a way for everyone to get to know each other a bit better.

message 2: by Jenna (new)

So we just moved into our new place and I LOVE IT!

message 3: by Jenna (new)

I got the Sims 3 and I have been playing it a bit,just wish my computer was better so it would run better,but it is still way fun!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle1105) | 57 comments I've been playing the Sims 3 too lately and I have to admit that my reading has suffered because of it. But I think I have finally broken my addiction and I have started reading again. Now I need to catch up haha

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey I've been book blogging lately and funny enough, I spend so much time fooling around on the computer, that I haven't been devouring books. I really need to finish Archer's Goon tonight though!

message 6: by Jenna (last edited Jun 17, 2009 11:23PM) (new)

I know, I've been spending so much time with some art pieces I've been working on that I have been neglecting my books a bit.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been playing Sorority Life on myspace way too much! However, I find that I can play a little, read a little, play a little, read a little!! :)

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Yeah, I've been bringing my books to work and reading them on my breaks and stuff,which is nice.

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey I'm getting new used furniture - the best kind - free! I'll finally have a bedroom set! Not a cheap combo of Kmart and Target furniture. I'm on my way to full adulthood now haha.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL Kristen. I remember when I got my matching bedroom set from my parents! I was so excited! Of course they gave it to me when I got married, so it was that or buy my own... oh well!

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle1105) | 57 comments I'm moving to a new apartment July 17th. My boyfriend told me he "didn't know" if he wanted to marry me after being together 2 1/2 years so im moving out. It sucks but I'm better off and I know it. But other then that I'm just working like crazy and trying to read like crazy.

message 12: by Jenna (last edited Jun 20, 2009 01:03AM) (new)

My fiance and I just moved into our new place at the beginning of this month and we bought a bunch of "new to us stuff". At our old place we had just random stuff my parents gave us,so it's nice to have furniture that matches and is also our style! YAY for new used stuff!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle1105) | 57 comments I know what you mean about YAY for new stuff. I bought a new makeup brush and hairbrush last night and as silly as it sounds im so excited about having new stuff haha

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle1105) | 57 comments I have decided to move back to Colorado as soon as I find a job there. So I have been really busy preparing for that. However the sad thing is my reading has been neglected due to this change in my life. :(

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Woo (katgallery) | 1 comments I just graduated grad school and in 2.5 weeks I am moving from Baltimore to Los Angeles. I am hoping to get a lot of reading done on the 7 hour flight to make up for being so busy and not having time to read as much! I am very sad to be leaving my Baltimore based book club!

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey That's sad Michelle! I've been dating my fiance for almost 5 years now. We moved out last November and we'll be moving again in November for my new job. We're also getting married in October.

I am totally looking forward to new dishes and bakeware and all of that. We have serious hodgepodge stuff.

And my job - I'm finally really starting my career. I'll be an elementary school librarian next year. So yay for a salary!

I'll also be moving closer to my older sister, so we'll be able to hang out more without my grandmother always butting in.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristen, sounds like a lot of positive changes in your life!

My changes have been similar. My husband and I are both working in the District office of our county's school district. My husband just got promoted and, because I was working there before him, we now make the same amount of money!! :) Our 2 year anniversary is coming up in September and we are trying to decide what to do. This weekend we have a 3 day weekend, so we may get Annual Passes for Disneyland and go this weekend and our anniversary weekend. We'll see...

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey Aw that's awesome that you work in the same place. Disneyland is so much fun! Happy 2 year anny! :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks!

message 20: by Jenna (new)

Kristen- that sounds exciting,I think being an Elementary school Librarian would be awesome! It's also nice that you'll be closer to your sister!

Linda-Happy 2 year anniversary! I hope you have a blast at Disneyland!

message 21: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey It's going to be horrid to move all these books and other things again.. *sigh* but oh well.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Jenna!

message 23: by Jenna (new)

Kristen- I know what you mean,we just moved and I had boxes upon boxes of books...I love having a little home library but those beauties are heavy! It's all worth it though!Plus, our new place allows me to actually display all my books,which is fantastic!

message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey I have 5 bookshelves now.. and they're all filled! Bah.. I had to buy one when we moved out and I inherited another just a few weeks ago (thank god after ALA and the 100+ books)!

message 25: by Julia (new)

Julia (andoran_g33k) I have many virtual bookshelves :) One day when I find money, I will bury myself in lovely paper and ink.
Sadly, though, my book list has been growing at an alarmingly slow pace these past few months. Internet is a mixed blessing.

message 26: by Julia (new)

Julia (andoran_g33k) What is everybody doing this summer (besides reading, of course!)?

message 27: by Jenna (new)

I've been working a bunch this summer (I know super exciting huh?)

When I'm not at my job I've been creating some new art pieces and spending some quality time with my fiance! YAY!

How about you?

message 28: by Jenna (new)

So we just moved into our new place and I really love it. I am so glad to be done with our old place,it definitely was not a great place to live.
So I thought I was completely done with the place,but then I pulled a complete air headed move.
I ordered an audio book set online and payed for it with my paypal,I have my new address set up to my paypal,but forgot that it hadn't been changed over to being my primary address yet. So in my totally not paying attentionness I accidentally had it sent to my old place.
I had a tracking number and tried to get the post office to redirect the package to my new place,but apparently I had "insufficient verification" so no go there.
So I watched the tracking info and it said that the package arrived yesterday. So I went over there hoping that I could just pick it up and everything would be fine. No of course not,I went to the front door and it wasn't there,then I went to the front office and it wasn't there either! So annoying!

Blah I feel like such an idiot...

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

That totally sucks! I've had something delived to my apartment before, but of course they only deliver before 5 and I don't get off until 5! I told them I was okay with them leaving it on my doorstep, but they need a signature. I told them it was okay to leave it with the office, but the office closes at 3 and they weren't in our area before then. I ended up having to go to the nearest UPS "delivery" warehouse (they wouldn't just send it to the UPS store down the street from our apartment) and it ended up being a 30 minute drive!! Ughh... I haven't ordered anything since that can't come in our mailbox! Good luck with your package!

message 30: by Jenna (new)

Linda that is so annoying,I swear sometimes the post office can be a real pain!
I always disliked the way that packages were dealt with at my old place. Most of the packages are delivered to the office and they used to put this slip in your mailbox,letting you know it arrived.
Well they stopped doing that so a package could be sitting there forever and you would never know.
I mean I know you usually know when a package is coming for you,but I would still like to have some sort of notice letting me know.
I went back over there today and I asked if I could check my old mailbox to see if the package was put in one of the lock boxes,but they wouldn't let me. So I don't know what to do!
The package was either left on the doorstep and someone moved it (or took it). Or it's sitting in one of the lock boxes that they wont let me check.

Either way,no package for me.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

That sucks! Have you tried contacting the post office? You could tell them that online it says it was delivered, but you don't see on the doorstep and no longer have access to the lock boxes. You would think they would be willing to help, so that it's not sitting there taking up space forever! I dunno, it's worth a try. At least they should be able to tell you where it was delivered to because they are supposed to make notes of things like that.

message 32: by Jenna (new)

Yeah I'm going to give it a try,I was just really annoyed at how rude the people were at my old apartment when I was asking them about my package.

message 33: by Jenna (new)

I can't believe that Summer is almost over! It seems like it just started and now school is starting in two weeks! I'm excited though,I'm so close to the end of my degree that I just want to get through these last few semesters and Graduate!

message 34: by Jenna (new)

So school started this week,and I'm a bit overwhelmed with everything! I'm really excited about some of my classes,I just know that I'm going to be busy like no other this semester! Has anyone else headed back to school?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I am thinking about going back to school. I would do online schooling though... I dunno if I want to, but I would like a bachelors degree (right now I only have an Associate's degree). I believe my work is trying to get an incentive program together for employees who are also going to school. If that happens, then for sure I will do it. We will see.

So what classes are you taking Jenna?

message 36: by Jenna (new)

This semester I'm taking all art classes. I'm an Art Education Major and this is my Junior-ish year.
Art classes are really fun but they demand a ton of your time.
So this semester I am taking an Art History class focusing on renaissance art. I'm also taking a photography class and then secondary art methods class. which is a class where I will be student teaching at the secondary level in the art classrooms around town and doing a bunch of community art projects. Then multicultural arts,which I'm really excited about!
So it should be a fun semester just extremely busy busy busy!

That would be really cool if your work got that incentive program going Linda. What would you go to school for,would you continue with what you were studying for with your associates or something else?

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I love art classes! Art History was an amazing class when I took it. Good luck with all your classes. They all seem fun, but time consuming.

I was going to school for accounting, which I would for sure continue because it will help me in my position at work and that is what the incentive program is aiming towards. However, I would also like to take some copy editing classes. My dream job would be a book editor. I also want to be able to home school when I have kids and I hear they are going to make it so that you need teach credentials in order to do so, so that is another thing I would look into.

message 38: by Jenna (new)

Yeah I heard that too,that they are requiring home school teachers to have more education/credentials before they can teach at home. Here in Idaho it doesn't seem like too much,but I'm not sure how it differs in other states.

I'm really excited about my classes I just know I'm going to be super busy! I'm really excited because I was chosen to present at our state IAEA conference in October and at the NAEA conference in the Spring.
Those are the Idaho Art Education Association and the National Art Education Association. It's really great since I get to meet tons of other Art educators and share lesson plans and just have a blast learning new stuff and meeting new people! YAY!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

That sounds awesome. I hope you enjoy getting ready for it! :) And good luck with your classes.

message 40: by Jenna (new)

Thanks I'm really excited!

message 41: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Bell | 8 comments I am going to school and I have been super busy,I joined goodreads so I could about books with people, and so I can motivate myself to keep reading when I'm in school.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 18 comments I know! It's really hard to find time to read while you're in school. I remember, in middle school, we had a class every day that was just for reading! And I thought it was such a waste of time. :( I can't believe how much I took it for granted! I would love a class like that now!

message 43: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey I'm getting married next Saturday - the 24th! Gah! So much to do.. I can't believe I have time to even read!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 18 comments Oh, you are?! Congradulations! That's so sweet! :D

message 45: by Jenna (new)

Congratulations Kristen!

message 46: by Maii (new)

Maii (maiita) | 4 comments well..i have exams everyday..and i primised not to read because i have to study but i oculdn't do that..i really can't go for three days with out reading a book..plus i got an A on my biology exam today!

message 47: by Jenna (last edited Jan 21, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

wow an exam everyday that seems like it could get pretty crazy Myosh. I completely understand what you mean about not being able to go very long without reading. I take a book with me to campus everyday so if I have any little free spots I can get some reading done.