Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Going back to school

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Meeks | 10 comments I wanted to share with everyone the wonderful experience I had as "the author" meeting with 4th, 5th and 6th graders. My book, Son of the Great River, is directed at the intermediate/juvenile audience, and so part of my marketing is to interact with school librarians and teachers and come into class and talk about writing, publishing and creative work in general.

I have to tell you, as a registered cynic I found the experience so heartening. These kids, especially the younger ones, are filled not only with ideas but a sense that they can get their ideas out there. I made a big point to talk not only about my book but about their place in this new world as contributors, whether they're writing books or creating videos or writing reviews on Amazon.

I ended up with official endorsements from the school librarian, the teachers and over two dozen glowing responses from the kids. After the summer, I'll be taking the show on the road. But even if I didn't sell a single book, the excitement of the kids made the experience more than worth it to me.

I'll try to get a real blog post about this, with all the details and some rambling thoughts on how this reflects positively on society, once I get ten thousand other things taken care of, but I wanted to share my experience and ask if the rest of you guys had similar experiences.

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina | 89 comments This sounds like a positive and moving experience-good for you!

message 3: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) Congrats, Elijah! I look forward to reading more about your visit in your blog - so be sure to do that when you get the time. What lucky students to have a motivating presenter and real author to talk to!

I've had only one school visit so far but it was, like yours, awesome! This is such a fun age to work with, and having been out of the classroom for the past two years working on my book, it was a pleasure for me to interact with young people again. The kids were interested and had relevant and important questions about the writing and publishing process. Well, except for the question about my toe ring. ;) I have my second school visit next week, to the Canadian International School of Egypt. And another school has already requested visits for next year - for both the children and the staff (about teaching the writing process).

message 4: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Meeks | 10 comments It was a great time, anyone who wants to hear more about it in detail and read some of the responses I got from the students can take a look at my latest blog post.

message 5: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) Enjoyed your blog, Elijah! Loved the notes you got from the kids. And your dedication to Wikipedia. I contribute to Wikimedia Commons and actually used quite a few Creative Commons photos in my book.

Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Son of the Great River (other topics)