Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Self-Promotion > Opinions/Critiques

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (last edited May 29, 2009 12:57PM) (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I am trying to write a story and i want some feedback and yall are read A TON so I figured you might be able to help me out :D

It don't think its paranormal romance but its definitely romance with a fantasy flair to it :D So if I could some opinions on it that would be AWESOME :D

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/4...

I have a have a prologue and four chapters up. :D that is the link to the prologue :D Enjoy

((Not sure if this is allowed if its not just delete it ;) lol))

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Very interesting so far, Kyle. Could do with some editing, particularly the prologue, and the names are a bit random (Icarus is god of an ocean? Adonis, Jezebel?), but looks like you've got a good plot going and interesting characters. Keep on writin'. :)

message 3: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Thanks :D.

lol, there random names. I found this site that gives you random names and I just used them :P Though the only name that doesn't really go with the plot is Ikarus. :P)

Yeah I just post them on here with out editing :P I'll have to go back and change it when I'm done.

Thanks again :D

message 4: by Lisa (last edited May 31, 2009 10:18AM) (new)

Lisa Hendrix (lisahendrix) | 57 comments Kyle wrote: "I found this site that gives you random names and I just used them"

Now that's interesting, because for me, characters' personalities are totally tied up with their names. I can't get more than a scene or two into a book until I have the names "right," and on the few times I've changed a name after I'd gotten going, I've had to go back and revise heavily because the character him/herself changed with the name. There's no way I could just plug in something random. It would totally send me off in a wrong direction!

message 5: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Well really all the names worked because I looked up their meanings. Ikarus just sounded cool and the character liked it so I ran with it. I realize its not really a god of the seas name but its greek and anything greek can be a gods name :P

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hendrix (lisahendrix) | 57 comments Icarus was the mortal who tried to fly to the sun (and thus challenge the gods). His wax and feather wings melted and he fell into the sea...so maybe it does work :)

message 7: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I didn't even know that :P
Maybe i should work that kind of plot into the story with him.

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments LOL. There you go, Lisa. Maybe Ikaros used to be a higher god, ticked someone off and was tossed into the seas. LOL.

Well, I guess it's a rough draft so you can always go back and change these things, but the names you chose just happened to be particularly famous, with certain connotations. Just think of popular expressions associated with them. "He's a regular Adonis," i.e. he's handsome, Jezebel = evil temptress, etc. But if you commit to the characters, you can pull them off. This is good practice though; authors always have to think of names. You learn more as you continue. :)

message 9: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Jezebel meant to be that kind of person so it works out :P

And Adonis is handsome. So maybe I can pull it off :D

message 10: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
One thing to be careful of when using really recognizable names like that is to make sure that you're either setting it in a world that's so different from ours that the mythological history of those names won't matter, or that you do research and find a way for your story to work with the mythological history. It kind of throws me off when I read a story using recognizable names when it has nothing to do with the myth. But then I've read a lot of mythology, so maybe I'm not the average reader. :) YMMV.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hendrix (lisahendrix) | 57 comments Umm...what does YMMV mean?

message 12: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Yeah...I guess i didn't realize the names were so popular :( They just sounded cool, so I picked them :(

What does YMMV mean?

message 13: by Lisa (last edited Jun 01, 2009 12:03AM) (new)

Lisa Hendrix (lisahendrix) | 57 comments Kyle, it's not that they're popular. It's that they're culturally significant and as a result come with a lot of baggage attached. People hear/read Jezebel and expect certain things about that person because of the Bible stories, the song by Frankie Lane, and common usage ("she's such a Jezebel"). Same with Adonis and Icarus.

One way to find out if there are connotations to a name is to check a dictionary--if it appears in a dictionary, then you know it's got a certain level of cultural significance (all three of the names we're discussing are in the dictionary and two have definitions beyond just the identity of the person). If you find out it's significant, you can at least make an informed judgement about whether you want to use that name.

message 14: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Thanks :D I'll make sure to do some research and maybe mold my characters to match them :)

message 15: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
YMMV = your mileage may vary

Great advice, Lisa, and research is always a good thing to do when writing. :)

message 16: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Thanks for your suggestions :D