Public Librarians discussion

senior programming

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis does anyone do any senior programming? I am looking for ideas for programs aimed at the 50+ age group. Thanks

message 2: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 1 comments i do the adult programming at my library. some of the things we've done that have been successful are: computer classes, digital photography classes (get a local pro to come in and talk about choosing a camera, walk through the basics of using the camera, and introduce some camera+computer stuff like flickr and some free editing software, and end by creating a gallery of the members' favorite photos for the library), garden planning workshops with your local ag ext. office, health info classes (get a nutritionist to speak and a librarian to demonstrate medline plus).

we also do saturday afternoon movies (so no one drives home in the dark, and no kids allowed), a monthly craft club, a lunch book club and an evening readers' exchange bookclub (one person does a booktalk on a book chosen and advertised the month before, and everyone else just shares their recent reads).

good luck, and remember you're dealing with a very active, young population. be flexible with times and keep your programs short if you're attracting the after-work/lunch-hour crowd. if you can get a real expert to come in, it'll make your job easier and your program more successful. we partner with the local workforce commission for our self-employment seminars.

webjunction has a lot of great ideas for programs.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann | 3 comments I do adult programming and I have had the most success with musical groups performing - bluegrass, irish traditional, classical, etc.

But we've also had Wii parties (not that well attended, but we had several couples that spent the evening bowling and trying other sports games) and classic movies, but niether were well attended.

message 4: by Sharon (last edited Jun 06, 2009 02:35PM) (new)

Sharon | 1 comments We have a very popular "book to movie" program that seems to appeal to retirees. It's a monthly program that requires participants to read the selected novel, then we have a viewing of the DVD the initial week and the following week a discussion that compares the book and the movie, with a member of the library staff acting as moderator/coordinator. The participants have a voice in selecting what books/movies they want for upcoming months.

Our retired patrons also can't get enough of classes about using e-mail, internet, etc., as well as how to do genealogy research. We offer those all year round

message 5: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Thanks so much for all the suggestions.