Goodreads Feedback discussion

Announcements > Important Note Regarding Reviews

Comments (showing 5,551-5,600 of 6,342) (6342 new)    post a comment »

message 5551: by [deleted user] (new)

The general rule, when it comes to Internet content, is the 1% rule. 1% are content providers, 9% are active lurkers/commenters, and 90% are inactive or otherwise uninterested.

message 5552: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "That would enrage a whole new group, the bloggers who have been using link reviews for years. (Doesn't mean that isn't where they're headed, mind you.)"

I don't think this will happen. Most people who have book blogs are Amazon affiliates. Amazon isn't going to want to cut off a revenue stream that isn't addressed in any other way, ie. people who buy from book blogs like the personal touch and not the general one of Amazon or Goodreads.

message 5553: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 04, 2013 03:55PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) But they would not have to alienate those affiliate bloggers. See, just like other new policies, it would be vaguely worded, open to "context" "off topic" "unhelpful" "not a quality review" or "tone" interpretations.

So that when implemented somehow only those reviews leading to non-amazon affiliate bloggers or competing sites (like a review linking to booklikes) would actually be deleted.

KindleRomance Reviews | 54 comments I will be shocked if they let reviews have external links. They will not be able to control where the link goes. It could be showing something that they consider inappropriate - especially for their Kindle PW crowd.

message 5555: by [deleted user] (new)

Off site links are currently allowed, and have been for as long as I can remember. So it would be a large change to disallow them.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) It was a very large change to delete shelves that did not violate TOS.

message 5557: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the book reviews on GR go to the Amazon reviews?

KindleRomance Reviews | 54 comments Ceridwen wrote: "Off site links are currently allowed, and have been for as long as I can remember. So it would be a large change to disallow them."

I agree it would be a huge change. But they don't allow them on Amazon, and they can't control them if they allow them here. That's my big prediction:-)

C is for **censored** (LWYCMB) | 39 comments Jamielynn wrote: "Do the book reviews on GR go to the Amazon reviews?"

No, the reviews here don't even come close to the TOS for Amazon. Amazon is a selling site and has 'standards'...and stays very plain G rated.

A few months ago I would not have thought that they would combine the standards (I naively thought that GR would be used to mine data but otherwise be relatively untouched).

Not so much now...and certainly not with the heavy promotion for the paperwhite. Ugh...previously I did not begrudge the Amazon business model based on customer service, but I HATE the way GR has been/is being eviscerated. Two such seemingly related sites do NOT belong linked.

message 5560: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments D.A. - barely here ☺ - wrote: "But they would not have to alienate those affiliate bloggers. See, just like other new policies, it would be vaguely worded, open to "context" "off topic" "unhelpful" "not a quality review" or "to..."

Ah yes, the 'off-topic' get out that covers everything. Everything Goodreads/Amazon don't feel fits in with their marketing plan anyway.

message 5561: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt

Vote for Off-Topic in the Nonfiction category of the Goofreads Choice Awards!

I also voted it for GR debut author work.

Obviously you will have to vote it as a write-in, but it's easy - you start typing "off-topic" and it will autocomplete.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Lobstergirl wrote: "Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt

Obviously you will have to vote..."

Brilliant. Off to vote.

message 5563: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt. Vote for Off-Topic in the Nonfiction category of the Goofreads Choice Awards! I also voted it for GR debut author work.

Obviously you will have to vote it as a write-in, but it's easy - you start typing "off-topic" and it will autocomplete. ..."

Reblogged on BookLikes.

message 5564: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Linda wrote: "Intentional typo, or Freudian slip? Either way, it's brilliant! "

I saw someone type Goofreads yesterday in Feedback Group, I think it was an unintentional typo but I have adopted it as the new spelling. It's so appropriate.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) *snicker* on my iPad I so frequently mistype "goodwads" I had to put it in autocorrect (took it back out now). But, "Goofreads" is funnier.

message 5566: by Rita (new)

Rita (RitaLB) | 407 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt

Brilliant idea! Adopeted! ;)

Sandi - Protester of Goofreads (sfussner) | 27 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt

@Lobstergirl, I hope you see this as a complement, I changed my name to include your 'Goofreads', I loved it! Now, how do I vote, I've never done that here, I've already done all I know on the book itself. Thanks

message 5568: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I do see it as a compliment but again I can't take credit.

To vote go here to nonfiction - type off-topic in the box - it will autocomplete.

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

Do the same here:

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

message 5569: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 253 comments Awesome, thanks for the voting links & instructions Lobstergirl.

message 5570: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl No problem.

message 5571: by Lisa (last edited Nov 04, 2013 10:34PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8905 comments The author hasn't claimed their GR profile so there's no chance it will move on the GR debut author in that category. I'm sure it won't move on at all and that the author(s) won't get GR author status either. Non-fiction is the way to go, though it fits in with other categories too, in my opinion. Horror, for instance. ETA: History as well? Etc.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Jamielynn wrote: "Do the book reviews on GR go to the Amazon reviews?"

Not currently. Before the buyout, you had to deliberately opt into third party sharing to sites like kobo.

I have no idea if post buyout if goodreads begins sharing reviews to amazon if that's still considered third party or if will be opt-in or zero choice.

message 5573: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl G.R.'s books include Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt and the forthcoming Yes, I Farted, already shortlisted for the American Natural Gas Alliance Literary Prize.

I'm going to cry...so moving. Of course I was a beta reader for Yes, I Farted.

Sandi - Protester of Goofreads (sfussner) | 27 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I do see it as a compliment but again I can't take credit.

To vote go here to nonfiction - type off-topic in the box - it will autocomplete.

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward......"

Done, and thank you. I've not seen this before, how do I get there without a link? I tried listing it in the GR help, but that didn't give me a path, just HTML. Anyway thanks again for the heads up & the links.

message 5575: by Lobstergirl (last edited Nov 04, 2013 10:59PM) (new)

Lobstergirl You should see links to Goofreads Choice Awards at the top of your homepage. There's a big gold and red banner, as well as a Site Announcement you can click on. Once inside, you have to look for the Nonfiction genre. (or whatever genres you are voting it onto)

message 5576: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Here is the Voting Schedule:

Opening Round
Nov. 4 - 9

Semifinal Round
Nov. 11 - 16

Final Round
Nov. 18 - 25

message 5577: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8905 comments Jamielynn wrote: "Do the book reviews on GR go to the Amazon reviews?"

When the Amazon buyout announcement was made, I asked. Goodreads left wiggle room for sure. Another not at this time answer. But Otis said that for some books, particularly those with few reviews, those reviews might end up on Amazon. (Since I've never ever wanted any of my reviews on Amazon, and have deliberately never posted any there, I should have left 1/2 year ago, I suppose.)

message 5578: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl You would have to have your accounts on Goofreads and Amazon linked in order for reviews to be transferred in either direction. There's no way it could happen automatically.

I'm sure they will offer linking the two accounts as an option one of these days.

message 5579: by Lisa (last edited Nov 04, 2013 11:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8905 comments Oh, I got the feeling Goodreads-Amazon has the right, and might exercise it, to take GR reviews and simply post them on A. ETA: Or link to them?

message 5580: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 04, 2013 11:20PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Lobstergirl wrote: "You would have to have your accounts on Goofreads and Amazon linked in order for reviews to be transferred in either direction. There's no way it could happen automatically..."

It happened automatically for kobo and lots of other bookseller, book and other sites who paid for the third party subscription -- if under settings you opted in to allow-- no account linking required.

(Kobo and others either stopped subscribing when amazon bought goodreads or amazon cut them off -- I'm not sure which sites are still getting reviews from goodreads).

message 5581: by Lobstergirl (last edited Nov 04, 2013 11:28PM) (new)

Lobstergirl Lisa wrote: "Oh, I got the feeling Goodreads-Amazon has the right, and might exercise it, to take GR reviews and simply post them on A. ETA: Or link to them?"

Oh, I see what you're saying - similar to the way GR allows Worldcat, Google Books, and others to "harvest" the reviews on Goodreads unless you opt out.

I suppose that's possible, although that still doesn't involve the "linking" of your account on Goofreads to your account on Amazon. In other words, if here I'm known as Lobstergirl and have one email address, and hypothetically my username on Amazon is Bungleberry and I use a different email address to order my wristwatches and panties and coffee beans and yoga pants, I wouldn't show up on Amazon as Lobstergirl.

For people who use the same username and same email on every single site, you shouldn't do that. It makes it a lot easier for your identity to be stolen and your data mined across platforms and websites.

message 5582: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 05, 2013 12:02AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) The wording under edit profile, settings tab:
" allow partners of Goodreads to display my reviews

Goodreads allows some partner sites access to book reviews via an API. This access is granted in the spirit of openness with the goal of spreading the love of reading. Current partners include Sony, Google Books, WorldCat, and more. Uncheck this box if you don’t want the text of your reviews to appear on these sites."
But, again, I have no clue how or if that applies to amazon.com site now that goofreads is becoming amazon's personal review mill.

It does look like Worldcat still subscribes: http://www.worldcat.org/title/magic-b... ( scroll down past details, find a copy, buy a copy and libraries to find reviews. No account linking required. And 1.128 reviews in which reviews from goodreads members are mixed in do still appear at Google Books - check same book at http://books.google.com/books?id=Tlbu... -- I can easily see amazon's site pulling in goodreads reviews in the mix just like google does.

Eta: google play links because more likely the style amazon would use than worldcat's

message 5583: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I have no idea what kobo even is. I try to stay ignorant on such matters.

message 5584: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 04, 2013 11:50PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Lobstergirl wrote: "I have no idea what kobo even is. I try to stay ignorant on such matters."

Kobo is another brand of ereader (and an ebook store) that in some countries rivals amazon's kindle market dominance. When amazon bought goofreads, kobo dropped the goodreads ratings/reviews or amazon stopped. Not sure which, but their site no longer shows. Kobo also allows some brick and mortar chain and independent bookstores to sell ebooks via kobo api and is known for very clear TOS/policies (compared to amazon and goodreads) and quick email communications.

I was surprised to see "Google Books" and "Sony" still showing as partners when I just checked settings. I would have thought that they also considered amazon a competing ebook seller and vice versa. Not to mention Sony's Reader ereader directly competing with amazon's kindle device...

message 5585: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 04, 2013 11:58PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Off topic and likely repeated somewhere back on these thousands of posts, but, for the fun of it, compare kobo's content guidelines at http://www.kobobooks.com/contentpolicy with amazon's infamous pithy "...Offensive Content: What we deem offensive is probably about what you would expect." at http://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing...

message 5586: by Lisa (last edited Nov 05, 2013 01:35AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8905 comments Re opting in or out as far as sharing our reviews, Amazon isn't just a partner with Goodreads, it is Goodreads. Even if we opt out I'm not sure our reviews will 100% always stay off amazon's site(s).

No, our account probably wouldn't be linked in the traditional sense, though I wonder if any review placed on Amazon could be linked back to our Goodreads review on the Goodreads site. I don't know.

ETA: I was always fine with my reviews being shared with WorldCat and other sites, but not Amazon.

message 5587: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 460 comments Apropos GR reviews on Amazon:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Oh how disappointed those authors are. If this ever happens, I will more than happily start posting reviews on GR again. But only the ones 3 stars and under ("critical" according to Aunty Zon) :)

message 5588: by Loederkoningin (new)

Loederkoningin | 121 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I do see it as a compliment but again I can't take credit.

Wonderful idea (and thanks for the PM Petra). Voted!

message 5589: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 4050 comments Loederkoningin wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "I do see it as a compliment but again I can't take credit.

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaw..."

I just tried to get to the page and it says the page does not exist (that's a bit suspicious).

message 5590: by Bettie☯ (new)

Bettie☯ Krazykiwi wrote: "Apropos GR reviews on Amazon:

Oh how disappointed those authors are. If this ever happens, I will more than happil..."

Nightmare!!

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Gundula wrote: "I just tried to get to the page and it says the page does not exist (that's a bit suspicious). ..."

From link in original post (should work" or from link quoted in a reply (chopped off so will fail)?

At any rate, the Choice Awards should be showing at top of your home page.

message 5592: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 2 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I do see it as a compliment but again I can't take credit.

Done!

message 5593: by Nospin (new)

Nospin | 42 comments ☯Bettie☯ wrote: "Krazykiwi wrote: "Apropos GR reviews on Amazon:

Oh how disappointed those authors are. If this ever happens, I wil..."

I could not get the non-fiction vote to register using Silk on my Fire.
Hopefully it is a tablet thing and I will be able to vote when I get to a computer.

message 5594: by Nospin (new)

Nospin | 42 comments So this one star reviewon Amazon by MacKenzie Bezos mentions the author a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2I0T26S...

Would it be allowed on GoodReads?

message 5595: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks all for your answers!

message 5596: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 05, 2013 06:11AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Whether or not allowed on goodreads depends on how context is interpreted (by whatever staff member judging at that particular time) as being in appropriate tone for community and if author flagged it as inappropriate or not. (Actually, that might be one book where the new overlords don't care if sales are negatively impacted).

Oddly, unless she's also an author, she's carefully n compliance with amazon tos and guidelines.

And she is in complete compliance with FTC regulations only if she did disclaim any connection she had to author or product (book) -- wife of subject. Unlike all those author review circles that fail to disclaim they were reviewing in return for a review or an honest review of their own book (any renumeration or other return for a review or connection to product being reviewed as if a customer opinion/review also must be disclosed on sites subject to U.S. law —which goodreads is).

Personally, I think on goodreads it should get removed because I think it's not about the book but rather about the author's research methods, integrity and fact gathering; frankly, no one writing about public figures is required to try to interview them or get a statement. Authors are still free to pick and choose what facts/research they include or discard; some don't do any research but are still allowed to upload their word spew. She's out of line to question the author's behavior in her review.

I'm sure goodreads' recent deletions indicate clearly exactly how fairly/standardly the new "nothing about author behaviors in site content" rules are being implemented.

Eta: clarification/typos

message 5597: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 05, 2013 05:36AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I wonder what might ensue if the author joined STGRB and complained that Mackenzie Bezos was bullying and stalking him? And put her on their hate and doxxing bounty lists?

(I don't consider it bullying, but, they've screamed "bully victim" for less. And technically, she is a person in a "power" position compared to the author so they'd at least have more grounds than normal. Again, I don't consider writing a review to be bullying; she or Jeff Bezos would have to take other actions against author like refusing to sell his book to even make me consider the word.)

message 5598: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (Karma_Bites) | 628 comments Nospin¥ wrote: "So this one star reviewon Amazon by MacKenzie Bezos mentions the author a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2I0T26S...

Would it be allowed on GoodReads?"

Reviewer sure has an interesting last name. Even more so when one considers the title of the book being reviewed. ;-)

message 5599: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 460 comments http://www.businessweek.com/articles/... :)

Nothing like smacking back at a reviewer when you can do it in Business Week. But it's actually quite a gracious response, STGRB could learn a thing or two.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Gracious and professional.

And even if only first book by a brand new author (not the case of this book), once a book is published for public sale/download -- the author, unlike reader/consumer reviewing, is claiming to be a professional. Otherwise, it's an alpha/beta-reader edition or just a slushpile draft rather than a published work for purchase.

Expect to sell and be reviewed like other professional writers (particularly if you want same financial or critical success)--either react like one or keep your reactions off the blogosphere and public media.

Not all indie authors; but, more and more I am convinced that the worst behaving authors are uploading pure drivel that likely wouldn't even make it to a slushpile—they would not follow submission guidelines because they feel entitled to whatever they want without any criticism whatsoever and without having to follow anyone's rules with anyone asking them to follow the guidelines being a jealous hater troll to their mindset.