fiction files redux discussion

Author Gratitude

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Brian (banoo) | 346 comments Mod
I read the book Fire Ants a couple of weeks back and yesterday morning received this email from the author:

Brian,

I was referred to your comment on Library Thing about my collection of short stories, FIRE ANTS, and I was delighted by it. Thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated. I wish you more good reading and best regards.

Gerald Duff

I just think it's a nice thing when an author takes the time to send a short email to a reader. Maybe it's that southern hospitality... he is a southern writer, with a twist. And he's good. His book was great.

message 2: by Patrick, The Special School Bus Rider (last edited May 28, 2009 08:41PM) (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 269 comments Mod
Careful that Jon do not find out you have been two timing the fiction files with Miss Library Thang as Michael would have said! :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Brian, you're so articulate. Your reviews are well writen, good or bad. I think it's nice that he was "delighted by it". This email says something about both of you.

message 4: by Patrick, The Special School Bus Rider (new)

Awright, I'm sold. Will check out Fire Ants. And probably join Library Thing while I am at it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

You're too easy Patrick. Those Hard Core Chicks will eat you alive.

message 6: by Patrick, The Special School Bus Rider (new)

If they are over 18 and do that to me slow enough, I might like it. : P

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

haha too bad they're 14. stay away!

message 8: by Michael, the Olddad (new)

Michael (olddad) | 255 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "Brian, you're so articulate. Your reviews are well writen, good or bad. I think it's nice that he was "delighted by it". This email says something about both of you."

Well said.

message 9: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
. . . authors need to get down out of their ivory towers and interact with their readers more like this fire ants author . . . i almost always comment to bloggers who cover my book-- especially if the coverage is good . . .but even if it isn't, i thank them for covering it . . . and i enthusiastically answer every single reader e-mail i get . . . where would we without readers? . . .especially readers of the caliber in this community . . .

message 10: by James (new)

James Othmer (jamespothmer) | 39 comments Don't know if anyone here is on Twitter, but for the last few weeks Colson Whitehead @Colsonwhitehead has been having a hilarious set of exchanges on there with a bitter, resentful (imaginary) assistant @assistantjarvis. What's cool is how he's found a way to entertainingly communicate with his readers, while subverting the navel-gazing, forced nature of most author-generated posts. Such as this one.

message 11: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
jp, that almost makes me want to sign up for twitter!

message 12: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 887 comments Mod
I joined twitter to follow Neil Gaiman and have stayed for the comedy. . .

@Kerry_McC

message 13: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (last edited Jun 02, 2009 09:17AM) (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
Neil Gaiman is going to be in Chicago for the Lit Fair this weekend! Accepting an award for Coraline.

Sadly, I do not have tickets.

I was joking with a friend recently about trying to scalp some. But that would be kind of dorky...

... however, I am seriously considering trying to do it for Dave Eggers, who will also be here... :D

message 14: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 641 comments Mod
look on craigslist shel, i bet you can find some on there!

message 15: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
oooh. Dan, the Idea Man. Thanks!