Read a book from each country discussion

Africa > South Africa

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 7 comments Mod
"My Traitor's Heart" by Rian Malan. Heartbreaking. Filled with an amazingly expressed longing to erase boundarie that simply cannot be erased. John Le Carre described it as "anguished." I read this at least 10 years ago and it still haunts me.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyil) "The Scent of Oranges" by Joan Zawatzky

Linda returns to her family's orange farm in South Africa after her father's death. She finds that many things have changed while she lived in Australia. When she starts to investigate her brother's murder, many family secrets are revealed and in the end the murderer is identified.

The book would have been fine without the attempt at mysticism, Linda can sense the spirits of her father and dead brother. Overall, an interesting story about a white family adjusting to a changing country.

message 4: by Kirstie (last edited Aug 15, 2009 08:29AM) (new)

Kirstie Peden | 7 comments Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee. David Lurie, a white professor in Capetown, is fired after seducing a student and goes to live with his daughter in the country. Soon after he arrives, they are attacked by three black men; the novel unfolds as David and his daughter attempt to understand and accept their personal (and racial) shame and culpability.

message 5: by Sheila (last edited Jan 07, 2010 01:01PM) (new)

Sheila Woofter | 4 comments Enjoyed The Syringa Tree: A Novel, by Pamela Gien

message 6: by Kunyalala (new)

Kunyalala | 2 comments Heart of Redness by Zakes Mda... very beautiful book set in xhosa heartland...

Song like the wind by laurens van der post... one of the greats of African writing, a story about a young boy growing up in a part of southern africa where the tribes were still so strong and pure in their lives... bushmen, matabele...the settler respected the land/its people/culture/language and spoke like the people... this is pure tell-it-on-the-tongue african fireside story telling... many wonderful metaphors and vivid imagery...you can taste the dust of the veldt...

message 7: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) I adored Heart of the Hunter when I read it years ago, and Deon Meyer is still one of my favorites for South African mysteries. His latest, Blood Safari , has great characterizations and tells of safari land north of South Africa, up through Kenya. Beautiful country brought to life. Check it out.

message 8: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) So, who has read jassy Mackensie's new series starting with Random Violence?

message 9: by Annalie (new)

Annalie Thirteen Hours by Deon Meyer is a wonderful thriller that gives a very real insight into the interpersonal relationships in South Africa in the present time.

message 10: by Sandra (last edited Feb 09, 2012 12:41AM) (new)

Sandra Barman (sandrabarman) | 3 comments I liked July's people, by Nadine Gordimer