Read a book from each country discussion

Asia > Japan

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 7 comments Mod
I love all of Haruki Murakami's books, but the most recent I read was "Kafka on the Shore."

message 2: by peg (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 2 comments I agree,Murakami is great. I also like Kawabata's Snow Country.

message 3: by Tori (last edited Mar 06, 2008 03:35PM) (new)

Tori | 2 comments Any of the classic authors would be good as well - Natsume Soseki's Kokoro, Mori Ogai's The Wild Geese, Junichiro Tanizaki's The Makioka Sisters, etc.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (classyfied) The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea by Yukio Mishima. I have yet to read it but I've heard nothing but good reviews from friends.

message 6: by Elatsoe Stan (new)

Elatsoe Stan | 30 comments Julie Otsuka's When the Emperor Was Divine - a really poetically written book, and one of my favorites.

message 7: by Carol (new)

message 8: by Ronan Noane (new)

Ronan Noane  K Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids - Kenzaburo Oë
The Woman in the Dunes - Kobo Abe
Shipwrecks - Yoshimura Akira

message 9: by Stewart (new)

Stewart (booklit) | 4 comments Peggy wrote: "I love all of Haruki Murakami's books, but the most recent I read was "Kafka on the Shore.""

I read Dance Dance Dance years ago and wasn't all the impressed by it. Only once I'd read it did I find out it was a sequel to A Wild Sheep Chase, and that A Wild Sheep Chase was the third of a trilogy, the first two books of which aren't all that easy to come by since Murakami Haruki won't let them be published outside of Japan. Having acquired the first of these, Hear The Wind Sing, and read a few pages, I can see why.

message 10: by KrisT (new)

KrisT I just finished Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami
Very interesting book. I really liked his writing style and the story just unfolded so wonderfully. I am not sure I interpreted the whole thing as it was intended but I did like the story.

message 11: by Daniella (new)

Daniella Sampepajung (laladanilela) | 2 comments I recommend "Totto-chan, The Little Girl at The Window" by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi.
I think she describes a little Japanese girl's way of seeing the world very touching.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments No one has mentioned Banana Yoshimoto's books yet? I think Kitchen is her most famous. Her books are quick reads and entertaining.

message 13: by Ronan Noane (new)

Ronan Noane  K The Cape and Other Stories from the Japanese Ghetto
by Kenji Nakagami

concentrate on the first story: the cape.
well written, strange setting, complex and disturbed relations in a remote village.... feels and reads like the Japanese Faulkner.

message 14: by Silver (new)

Silver I have not read Kafka on the Shore yet, but I really enjoyed The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. It was a very interesting book, quite surreal and bizzar.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda BeReckonedwith (DreamRabbit) | 7 comments surreal and bizarre Japanese writing = Kobo Abe's Kangaroo Notebook, which I really liked.

message 16: by Des (new)

Des (des123) Further authors that are must reads in Japanese literature so far not mentioned:
Shusako Endo
Yasushi Inoue
Eiji Yoshikawa
Yukio Mishima