Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Archie Proposes, Makes Betty Cry...

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 28, 2009 10:29AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And in our second comic thread of the day...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/3098324...

This is a tough one, but I would have gone with Betty. I dig the ponytail.

What do you think? Betty of Veronica? Or should he finally declare his secret love of Jughead?

message 2: by Heidi (last edited May 28, 2009 10:33AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I bet if Veronica made him sign a pre-nup, he'd be all over Betty in a heartbeat.

Betty. Hands down. Veronica's done some pretty underhanded stuff all in the name of "mine!" over the years.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Betty! Even though I usually prefer brunettes, Betty is nice and Veronica's a Mean Girl.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Although, I do believe "archielover" is onto something with "“OMG! Pick Veronica! He doesn't deserve Betty, he always makes her do all his chores and fix his car and help with his homework, while he treats Veronica like a little princess! I can't wait to see what happens :)”

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori Wow. I think they just ruined the comics by having him get married.

Betty's the girl.

message 6: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Woah... I didn't realize Archies were still running. I remember reading these inside my workbook in six-grade math. It seems weird that the characters are getting married.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Aren't they supposed to be SIXTEEN? Is that marrying age in anyone's mind but the Palins?

And it shoulda been Betty.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Nools wrote: "I remember reading these inside my workbook in six-grade math."

Heh. You did that too, Nools?

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Sarah Pi wrote: "Aren't they supposed to be SIXTEEN? Is that marrying age in anyone's mind but the Palins?

And it shoulda been Betty. "

The article says that the next issue will show Archie a year out of college with a job.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments betty looks sorta high maintenance but she aged well, (unlike ellie mae) BUT i am telling you veronica is a freak. i am sure she has ink somewhere. she is the dita von teese of comics

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments She's just a socialite.
A few years later, she'll star in The Real Housewives of Riverdale.

message 13: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments !!!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I used to have hair like that (black, but blue in the light).

message 15: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments she is the dita von teese of comics
She's one of my favs Kev. ;)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't believe Archie comics jumped the shark. It's a sad day.

Veronica's dad is going to make Archie feel like a loser his entire life. Plus, Betty is probably a more giving lover. Nice choice, idiot.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments As Chris pointed out, this give the comic plenty of soap opera possibilities for Archie to realize he chose the wrong girl.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments BunWat wrote: "Divorced Archie moves into the Riverdale Grove apartments..."

...with Reggie. One's a slob, the other's a neatnik...

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments montambo - thanks for the bit of cultural lingo that i learned today. i never knew what "jumped the shark" meant until i looked it up

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments "Happy Days", Fonzie, waterskiing over a shark. Literally, jumping the shark.

sigh

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments It takes a while for cultural developments to reach Kevin in Indiana. He's just heard of break dancing, and he's thinking of busting out some moves for his daughter's wedding...

http://www.wm.edu/blogs/wmblogs/henry...

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments no way RA. i bought a tux

and yes, sadly we are a bit behind the power curve in terms of culture. they are just airing season 7 of Seinfeld on network TV here

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori What? The first time airing? Craaaazy.

Back to Archie, my favorite snarky gossip site had this to say, altho some of you said it before, ha!

Yes, comic books have never really been the subject of a post here unless you count Christina Aguilera's makeup. However, I think this one time something needs to be said about the fact that in the latest comic book, Archie has decided to propose to Veronica. What on earth is Archie thinking? There is no way this is going to work out well. This is going to be like every season of the Bachelor. Oh sure it starts out all nice and heart warming but the next thing you know they realize that Archie doesn't have enough money to afford the lifestyle of which Veronica is accustomed and she grows bitter and resentful and ends up sleeping with Reggie for money. Hey, that almost sounds like Kim Kardashian. Wow, comic books are like real life. No, I am sure Kim loves Reggie for Reggie.

Anyway, at some point Veronica will leave Archie and he will then see the true love of his life, Betty for all she is worth. But, by then Betty will be married and have kids and Archie will be forced to move in with Jughead and the two will decided to make ends meet by doing a very off Broadway version of The Odd Couple.

I don't know what the writers were thinking here. I mean it seems to me that Archie might be thinking of this through parts of his anatomy which are best left unsaid. This is a family comic book after all.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments There is of course the possibility that the cover doesn't tell everything. Like maybe he proposes to Veronica, and she says yes, and then he realizes he's made a mistake. Or she says "Yes!....but I can't." I don't think it promises a wedding, just a proposal.

Does anybody remember that an Archie live action movie aired on TV in 1990? I don't remember anything about it except that it was structured as a high school reunion trip back to Riverdale.

(Just looked it up on IMDB. Lauren Holly played Betty! Eeenteresting...)

message 25: by Dave (last edited May 29, 2009 12:02PM) (new)

Dave Russell I remember it. Christopher Rich played Archie I think. The performed that stupid song, "Sugar, Sugar."

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Dave, noooooo! Now I have "Sugar, Sugar" running through my brain...
:(

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments jim carey played jughead

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori Great. Now I too have Sugar Sugar on repeat. Gak!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Lori wrote: "Great. Now I too have Sugar Sugar on repeat. Gak!"

This calls for serious measures... "Hammer Time!"

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori Lol! Not my favorite but definitely surpasses the other one that shall not be named.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Sugar, ah honey honey
You are my candy girl
And you've got me wanting you.
Honey, ah sugar sugar
You are my candy girls
And you got me wanting you

I just can't believe the lovliness of loving you,
(I just can't believe it's true)
I just can't believe the one to love this feeling to
(I just can't believe it's true)

Sugar, ah honey hiney
you are my candy girl
and you got me wanting you
honey, ah sugar sugar
you are my candy girl

When i kissed you girl I knew how sweet a kiss could be
(I know how sweet a kiss could be)
Like the summer sunshine pour you sweetness over me
(Pour your sweetness over me)

Pour a little sugar on it honey
Pour a little sugar on it Baby
I'm gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah
pour a little sugar on it yeah
pour a little sugar on it honey
pour a little sugar on it baby
I'm gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah
pour a little sugar on it honey

Ah sugar, ah honey honey
you are my candy girl
Oh honey honey, sugar sugar..............
You are my candy girl

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments "Break it down!"

Anyhow, I agree that Archie is an idiot to propose to Veronica instead of Betty, but given the research that shows that men lose the ability to think when looking at beautiful women, it does seem realistic.
For a comic book.

Betty needs to break out the sexy clothes and lipstick, and pull a "Sandy" from Grease to get Archie's attention back. Not that she couldn't do better...

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori I am considering dropping Jim from my friends list.

*shakes finger at Jim*

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited May 29, 2009 12:25PM) (new)

Gee, can't a guy have a little fun :).

It's stuck in my head too, and there is a lot of room for it to float around in before it goes back out.

::gets the ficus ready in case I need it::

message 35: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments
Betty needs to break out the sexy clothes and lipstick, and pull a "Sandy" from Grease to get Archie's attention back.

Damn. I'd buy that comic.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments She's still sixteen, RA. Watch out. And I'm 100% sure that sometime in the last sixty years of "how will she get his attention?" plotlines, that one has been used.

message 37: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Betty needs to break out the sexy clothes and lipstick, and pull a "Sandy" from Grease to get Archie's attention back. Not that she couldn't do better..."

And then DUMP him!!!

message 38: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Eek. Now I feel like a perv.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Really, she should. Archie's an idiot for getting distracted by Veronica. He doesn't deserve Betty.

message 40: by Heidi (last edited May 29, 2009 12:56PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "She's still sixteen, RA. Watch out. And I'm 100% sure that sometime in the last sixty years of "how will she get his attention?" plotlines, that one has been used. "

Randomanthony wrote: "Eek. Now I feel like a perv."

Well, in your defense, she's been sixteen longer than I've been alive (OMG, kinda like Edward Cullen!).

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments http://mightygodking.com/index.php/20...
Not entirely safe for work...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "http://mightygodking.com/index.php/20...
Not entirely safe for work..."

It's blocked, all right...

message 43: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments "Did you ever think Bugs Bunny was attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

message 44: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Betty needs to break out the sexy clothes and lipstick, and pull a "Sandy" from Grease to get Archie's attention back. Not that she couldn't do better...

Lots of other men out there Betty. Some actually prefer the sweet and natural look/personality. You're better off w/o him.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have a feeling Betty might come out during college. Later on she'll look back at high school and realize that she was always angling for the unobtainable guy because she didn't actually want to obtain him.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Ooh, nice twist, Sarah Pi!

message 47: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments is this like the angie/jen/brad thing?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Only if Jen comes out, Kevin.

message 49: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Good thought, Sarah.

Lots of other men people out there Betty. Some actually prefer the sweet and natural look/personality. You're better off w/o him.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.