Morning Coffee Group discussion

Welcome to the Morning Coffee Group!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynzee (new)

Lynzee (lynzee43) | 61 comments Mod
Well it's great to see everyone is joining the group and really enjoying the first book! I can't wait to start reading it myself, instead of hearing all about it from Joey!!

Although it's great to see new comers to the group - it'd be nice to learn a little about each of you! So, if you could provide a short introduction about yourself(include: name/age/local/fav. book/etc.) it'd be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to read everyone's introductions!!

message 2: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) OK, I'll join in...

My name is Bree, I'm 26 and live in Alberta, Canada. I've been reading since I was 3 and yeah, am pretty much addicted. I read mostly at night before falling asleep, but I sometimes will find a moment in the day when the kids are at school or napping to read for an hour or so.

Favorite book? Hard to say...there's so many! The first book I remember absolutely loving was Where The Heart Is by Billie Letts, which I read when I was 18. I also loved books like My Sister's Keeper, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Birth House...I love mostly anything I read but some always stand out in my memory for one reason or another!

message 3: by Lynzee (last edited Feb 04, 2008 08:37PM) (new)

So really I should of been first to post after that...but instead I slacked off! hahaha!

Anyways - I'm Lynzee! I'm 25 and live in a small town about 45mins Northeast of Buffalo, NY. I'm a single mom to a wonderful little boy, Alex, who is 5. Reading has always been one of my favorite things - but has really taken a back burner until the last couple months. And once again, it's going to get bumped, as tomorrow I start working again. I work with individuals with developmental disabilities. I have obtained my AAS in Human Services and one of these days I'd love to go back to school!

I like to read all kinds of things! As for my favorite book, I'm not quite sure. I've read all sorts of different books over the years. I guess I'll name a few I've really enjoyed; The Mole People - She's Come Undone - Anything by Nicholas Sparks. That's just the tip of the iceberg!

message 4: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeyfoto) | 187 comments Mod
I'm Joey, and I'm a bookstore-a-holic .. *lights the candle* .. anyway, I'm 33 years old, I live in Virginia and I like books, films, photography, music, art, and anything else that can be mustered up as "fun" . My favorite hobby is photography, I have an undying passion for photography and I like to try to see art in its many forms. My dream would be to become a full time photographer and be able to live off of my passion and hobby.

message 5: by Lynzee (new)

*high 5* to Single Mom's and keeping it together! I've done it myself now for 5 1/2yrs(Ahh...hard to believe he's almost 6)!

And ya know, Joey made me join this silly group as well. But then again I told him about the site and forced him to join!

message 6: by Lynzee (new)

Joey - Way to follow directions! How about ya tell us your favorite book hun!

message 7: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeyfoto) | 187 comments Mod
My favorite book? ummm , wow, thats really hard to do.. in the Mystery category, it would be "The Hound of The Baskervilles" (starring the one and only Sherlock Holmes) .. in the self help category, it would be "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki... in the magazine category, it would be "Popular Photography" .. in the Fantasy category, it would be "Dragons of Autumn Twighlight" (dragonlance chronicles) .. I have way too many to name :)

message 8: by Alana (new)

Alana | 2 comments Hi, My name is Alana. I'm a 27 year old living in Baltimore. My favorite book is a little hard to pin down since it changes depending on my mood, but today I'd say "The Thirteenth Tale".

I'm really looking forward to reading The Pillars of the Earth!

message 9: by Marlene (last edited Feb 06, 2008 12:54PM) (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Hey I'm Marlene. I just found this site through a friend a couple of days ago and so far, I love it. I never knew that this existed and it's great. I had been doing research here in Jacksonville to join a book club but all the clubs I found kept meeting in the daytime for their discussions and well... I've got bills to pay so I've got to work in the daytime. I just moved here in August and I do love the weather here but am serisouly considering moving to Atlanta. Let's see what happens.
I've always LOVED to read. I remember my favorite part of the day was when my Mom would read to me before going to bed. I love getting lost in the world of books. But the question of what's my favorite book has got me stumped. Favorite?? Gosh there are sooo many books that I just love. I remember reading the Amelia Bedelia books when I was younger (very funny and cute). I loved them. In high school I enjoyed The Good Earth. I also love the author Paulo Coelho, but I would rather read his stuff in Spanish than in English... it flows better in my opinion.
I am really looking forward to reading The Pillars of the Earth and hopefully catching up with the discussions... if not there's always the vote on the 11th for the next book. At least I'll be prepared for that one. Can't wait!!!

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica (mrssupert) | 20 comments HI, my name is Monica. I'm 32, currently a stay home mother of 3. (ages 7 to 3) And live just north of the Seattle area in Washington.
My sister in law recently sent this website to me, and now I'm hooked.
I love to read. I read anything and everything I can get my hands on to. I don't have a favorite book, because like my moods, my books change. (That's why I usually 4-5 at a time too!) I’m currently reading a woman’s self-help book, a James Patterson book, a non-fiction book, and two books about rising boys. Next week it’ll be a whole different group of books. :-)
But I do have to say that I just recently finished the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon and loved it! Fantasy, mystery, romance and history rolled into one. Great series.

message 11: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Towers (lylesliz) | 5 comments Hey, hey! My name is Kylie and I live in Columbus, OH. I'm 29 and I love all kinds of books. Probably my all time favorite is Jane Eyre, but I did go through a Mary Higgins Clark and James Patterson phase. I'm a museum curator and work part time at Barnes and Noble. I have found that non-profits and books are definitely a lifestyle choice. Not exactly in it for the money :) I started Pillars of the Earth 2 or 3 years ago when a coworker rabidly recommended it to me. When I got Joey's invite to join a group that's reading it, I figured it would be a good incentive to follow along with a group. I love it so far but am only on page 100. Good to meet all of you!

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
So my name is Sara and I live in a tiny little town called Northport on the coast of Maine. I'm 28 and have two beautiful daughters that are 4 and 2. I have more useless education than anyone should have or need and what am I doing with it? Well, I work for a hotel...Hey, I read at the front desk...so technically it's not all for naught.

(If you're curious...I have undergraduate degrees in English, Political Science, Feminist Theory and Creative Writing...and masters in Photography and Early American Poetry...I told you, more education than any one person truly needs.)

I don't have a favorite book...I could no sooner choose my favorite blade of grass. I do have a few favorite authors however...Margaret Atwood, Joyce Carol Oates, Karen Joy Fowler, Chuck Palahniuk, and above all of those Emily Dickinson.

I don't really have any hobbies to speak of...I'm all things Gemini...I may get excited about something, start the project or hobby and then get bored with it and easily walk away with it without guilt or remorse. Oh...well I do love to talk...hahahaha

message 13: by Louisa (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:43AM) (new)

Louisa Hello, I'm Louisa and I live in Alexandria, Va. I've belonged to a book club with a group of friends for about 15 years and we read a variety of genres, classics, biographies, Pulitzer Prize winners, with a little light reading thrown in. For example, in January we read The Sound and The Fury, so in February we lightened it up a bit with Eat, Pray, Love. I just finished Pillars of the Earth, and am currently reading a few books on my own as well as starting Water for Elephants, which is our March selection. I'm hosting in May and we're reading My Name is Red by Turkish author Orham Pamuk. Sorry, I can't pick a favorite but I like biographies and historical fiction and really anything but science fiction. I loved A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry set in Mumbai, India between 1975 and 1977 during the turmoil of expanded government power and crackdown on civil liberties. It's long, over 900 pages as I recall, but a real page turner and I read it in a week. In addition to reading, I LOVE to travel.