Read with Pride Northwest discussion

GRNW Community > Portland/OR LGBT Romance Reader Meet-Ups

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
This thread is to help gather local Portland/OR LGBT romance fans, writers and readers, who would like to meet up outside of the GRNW Meet-Up and chat about the books that they love. :)

Are there any GRNW "Ambassadors" who might be interested in helping organize smaller, casual meet-ups (dinners, drinks, etc) throughout the year around Portland/OR?

Feel free to leave a comment if you're interested in meeting up or helping. :D

message 2: by Talya (new)

Talya Andor | 10 comments I'm in Salem so I don't think I'd be best qualified to organize, but I would do my best to be a participant!

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Jean (amanda_jean) | 6 comments Talya wrote: "I'm in Salem so I don't think I'd be best qualified to organize, but I would do my best to be a participant!"

Seconding!

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments I'd totally meet up, but I'm really not a reliable organizer at this point in my life.

message 5: by Annabeth (last edited Sep 22, 2013 08:17AM) (new)

Annabeth Albert (annabethalbert) | 44 comments I'd like to meet-up but I don't know enough about portland to organize meet up (I'm in Salem as well). I really liked Anne's idea of a bar crawl at some point. That would be really fun!

message 6: by Annabeth (new)

Annabeth Albert (annabethalbert) | 44 comments Oh! But if we want to do a write-in in Salem, THAT I could totally organize. Maybe one sunday we could meet at Coffee shop and write or chat as we choose.

message 7: by Shannon (last edited Sep 22, 2013 08:43AM) (new)

Shannon (pokey36) I'm not in Portland either but I'd be happy to go wherever for a meet up. I'll even go to a write-in just to bug the shit out of all of you that actually write. :p

message 8: by ttg (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:30AM) (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Sounds cool, guys! My only questions relate to travel and accessibility, since I'm unfamiliar with the area:

- Is it pretty easy for Portland readers to travel to Salem on the weekends? (I'm thinking of people who may not have cars and may need to use public transit.)

I ask partially because there's a strong contingent of people in Seattle who don't have cars, and public transit to places outside the city is pretty poor on weekends. You guys may have way better options than us though.

- If the travel time/barrier between the two cities is high, but there's a lot of interest in Salem for people to meet, is it better to split off and have a Salem reader group and a Portland reader group?

- Should then Salem just go organize now, Portland can choose to join in with Salem if they want, and then if you have an obvious hole where Portland readers don't feel that they have accessible options, put it out there that there's room for a Portland group if someone would like to help volunteer for that?

Seattle/WA will stay out of the planning since it's better if you all lead this initiative. As a person with disabilities though, I'm always pondering access and how people get to places. :)

So, for Salem, do you want to jump ahead and put something together in your area?

Portland/Other OR areas, does meeting in Salem work for you, or do you want to build more reader groups?

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments I'd rather build more reader groups, but I'd probably be willing to go to Salem occasionally. The problem I have is time. As far as this thread, I think we're close enough that there's some crossover, and I (at least) would like to know what's going on in Salem.

Yes. Bar crawl.

message 10: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Anne wrote: "As far as this thread, I think we're close enough that there's some crossover, and I (at least) would like to know what's going on in Salem."

I agree. It's better to keep all the OR talks in one place, even if people are meeting in different cities.

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) I'm closer to Salem but go to Portland more often so either is good for me. Maybe I'll be pesky in both groups! :)

message 12: by Annabeth (new)

Annabeth Albert (annabethalbert) | 44 comments better to keep all in one place too. It's only 45 min apart. I'm not thinking like weekly meetings or anything. I was thinking a single-ish Salem event might be fun. Doing reader event would be super fun in either city, but PDX is likely to get more reader turnout.

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments Shannon wrote: "I'm closer to Salem but go to Portland more often so either is good for me. Maybe I'll be pesky in both groups! :)"

Yay! Pesky Shannon!

We could do a reader event in Portland if we plan ahead far enough . . . How many people are interested in doing something in, say, January?

message 14: by Annabeth (new)

Annabeth Albert (annabethalbert) | 44 comments January works for me!

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 55 comments I am also in and out of Portland several times a month, as I live smack dab between Seattle and Portland. I might be willing to come to a Portland event IF on a Sunday! Much easier drive into the city. I have driven everywhere in Portland, around Portland and Salem, so can say Sundays to Salem are not bad. Pretty easy drive actually. Saturdays can be a mess.

message 16: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments Right now at least, Sundays kind of suck for me, although I could do a brunch-time thing. By January it might not be a problem (kid's lessons).

message 17: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) Yeah, I'm super busy too....or maybe not. I'll just show up whenever you guys say.

message 18: by Barbie (new)

Barbie (barbiek) | 33 comments Does this involve drinking? Can I come, too?!?!?

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) Bar crawl!

message 20: by Barbie (new)

Barbie (barbiek) | 33 comments Shannon wrote: "Bar crawl!"

They need a 'Like' button for messages!!!

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments OF COURSE it includes drinking! And OF COURSE you can come too!

message 22: by Barbie (new)

Barbie (barbiek) | 33 comments Anne wrote: "OF COURSE it includes drinking! And OF COURSE you can come too!"

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!

message 23: by Amelia (new)

Amelia C. Gormley (ameliacgormley) | 18 comments I am, as always, behind the ball keeping track of discussions here on GoodReads, but yeah, count me in on whatever may be planned for here in Portland!

message 24: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Russell (ej_russell) | 10 comments Like Amelia, I'm late to this party. However, I'm more than willing to tag along with the cool kids. Since I live in Gaston, both Portland and Salem are sort of equidistant. Maybe Shannon and I can meet up in Yamhill and bug the heck out of each other there.

message 25: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Stone | 11 comments I'm in for whatever is planned. I am definitely not the planner type. But tell me when and where.

message 26: by Talya (new)

Talya Andor | 10 comments Sounds like we've got all partyers and no planners yet!

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) Are you guys looking for an informative type meet or a bar crawl?

message 28: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments Both?

message 29: by Talya (new)

Talya Andor | 10 comments Yeah, why not both!

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori | 20 comments New to the thread - I would love to have an additional meet up in the Portland area and am willing to plan, but it seems like maybe someone was starting to think about planning it, so I don't want to step on any toes.
If I'm wrong and no one is thinking about making official plans, I will take up the cause. =)

message 31: by Devon (new)

Devon Rhodes (devonrhodes) | 5 comments Hi Lori! Glad to see you found your way over here. :) God, yes, please do take the reins! I think you'd have plenty of people happy to show up! :)

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) Yay, Lori's going to organize us!!! You go girl, we're kind of scattered. :p

message 33: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
That's awesome, Lori! Thank you!! :D

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori | 20 comments Hello Miss Devon =)
You are all most welcome - I like planning things, so it'll be fun.
I'll research some spots for a large group with food and alcohol in January and get back to you.

message 35: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments Lori wrote: "New to the thread - I would love to have an additional meet up in the Portland area and am willing to plan, but it seems like maybe someone was starting to think about planning it, so I don't want ..."

PLAN! You! Thank you!

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori | 20 comments Just wanted to update - I have another friend that is not on GoodReads that wants to help with the planning and we have a meeting with a hotel/restaurant coordinator next Thursday to discuss possibilities and dates for January. It's Downtown located right on MAX lines, the hotel has free valet for guests of the restaurants and it's surrounded by easily accessible parking. I'll let everyone know how the meeting goes =)

message 37: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) Yay!!

message 38: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments Sweet!

message 39: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Lori, you and your friend are awesome. Thank you both for working on this! :D

message 40: by Talya (new)

Talya Andor | 10 comments That is fantastic, Lori. Thank you so much for taking the lead.

message 41: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Russell (ej_russell) | 10 comments Fabulous, Lori! Thank you!

message 42: by sno (new)

sno | 13 comments Sooooper late to the party, but I'm also gleeful at the thought of a meetup and grateful to Lori (and her mysterious friend) for arranging things.

message 43: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 55 comments You go Lori! I know a few Lori's and they are all great planners.

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori | 20 comments Update - we met with someone yesterday about room options and are still looking at options, but question for you guys. Do you want to meet at a free location and everyone be responsible for their own food and booze, or is everyone willing to put in a little money to pay for a room and get some food and beverage provided?

message 45: by sno (new)

sno | 13 comments Lori wrote: "Update - we met with someone yesterday about room options and are still looking at options, but question for you guys. Do you want to meet at a free location and everyone be responsible for their ..."

I'm good either way. I had assumed it would be just a free meetup thing, but if it ends up with a small fee, I'm okay with that too.

message 46: by sno (new)

sno | 13 comments sno wrote: "Lori wrote: "Update - we met with someone yesterday about room options and are still looking at options, but question for you guys. Do you want to meet at a free location and everyone be responsib..."

oh, and thanks heaps for all your work!

message 47: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments I'm okay with a small fee—it's nice to have a place to talk.

message 48: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) I'm okay with a fee also if we can get enough people to warrant renting a room. If not we can always just meet somewhere and drink!

message 49: by Barbie (new)

Barbie (barbiek) | 33 comments I have no problem paying a small fee. It would be kind of nice to be able to sit around in our own little room and be loud and obnoxious if we want!!

message 50: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Russell (ej_russell) | 10 comments Lori wrote: "Update - we met with someone yesterday about room options and are still looking at options, but question for you guys. Do you want to meet at a free location and everyone be responsible for their ..."

I'm fine with a small fee too.

« previous 1