Read with Pride Northwest discussion

GRNW Community > Seattle/WA LGBT Romance Reader Meet-Ups

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by ttg (last edited Dec 06, 2013 05:12PM) (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
This thread is to help gather local Seattle/WA LGBT romance fans who would like to meet up outside of the GRNW Meet-Up. :)

I'm in Seattle, and would be happy to help organize smaller, casual meet-ups (dinners, drinks, etc) throughout the year for local writers and readers who would like to meet and chat about the books that we love!

Feel free to leave a comment if you're interested in meeting up.

Since October is a busy month for LGBT romance fans, we're thinking of early November for a meet-up, maybe a dinner or meal on a Sunday or Saturday. What do you think?

Update: Next Meeting - 2/1/13

Everyone is welcome to join us at the second LGBT Romance Reader group, where readers can come discuss their fave romance books.

Where: Gay City, 517 E Pike St Seattle, WA 98122 (Capital Hill area, near bus lines) https://www.gaycity.org/

Venue: Gay City Auditorium

Time: 1pm - 4:00pm

Refreshments: Yes! We can bring lunch/snacks, and there's also the Gay City Cafe

Special Stuff: We'll do a drawing during the meeting for a gift certificate from one of GRNW's sponsors. :D

Hope you can join us!

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 55 comments Count me in but remember Nano is November.

Also any LGBTQ writers interested in a writing group? I was thinking of Kent or even near the airport for a meeting spot. I have a fantasy/sci fi group in Puyallup that has been quite successful, and I belong to two others I attend occasionally.

message 3: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Tara wrote: "Count me in but remember Nano is November.

Also any LGBTQ writers interested in a writing group? I was thinking of Kent or even near the airport for a meeting spot. I have a fantasy/sci fi group ..."

Yeah, Nano might scare a few people off. I think December will be far worse, so we'll aim for our first meeting in November and then the next in January, and see how things go. :)

Felicia (Ferishia) (ferishia) | 33 comments GRNW was great! I meet awesome authors and readers.

I would love to meetup outside that and chat (mostly listen maybe, I'm a little shy) about books! But I can only do mostly Saturdays. Keeping my fingers crossed this works in my schedule. :)

message 5: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Felicia (Ferishia) wrote: "GRNW was great! I meet awesome authors and readers.

I would love to meetup outside that and chat (mostly listen maybe, I'm a little shy) about books! But I can only do mostly Saturdays. Keeping m..."

Yay! I'm glad you liked the Meet-Up!

And yeah, I think it's best to plan for a weekend meet-up, something casual like lunch, coffee, or dinner.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 55 comments Even with Nano, I would still make it. My Nano project is pretty cut and dry; boys I know, already outlined, I just have to write it. And getting out of the house is always good!!!

message 7: by Austin (new)

Austin Chant (austinchanted) | 2 comments I had an awesome time at GRNW and would love to meet up! I'll be doing NaNo but it's always good for me to have a reason to leave the house during November, and I'm sure a meetup with these cool folks would be nothing but inspirational. :3

message 8: by ttg (last edited Sep 18, 2013 11:15PM) (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
How about Saturday, November 2 or Saturday, November 9?

For timing, we could do late lunch or coffee/snack? Say, 1pm or 2pm? Or would people prefer later?

For places, I highly recommend the Wayward Coffeehouse. They host s lot of meet-ups for GeekGirlCon, Queer Geek, and other groups. (Even knitting meet-ups.)

Wayward Coffee House
6417 Roosevelt Way NE Seattle, WA 98105 (University District, Roosevelt area)
http://www.waywardcoffee.com/

And good news! They take table reservations for meet-up groups: http://www.waywardcoffee.com/reservat...

Thoughts? And what date would you prefer?

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 55 comments Either day works for me. If anyone from the south end needs a ride, my car seats four. Tacoma or even as far south as Oly, and all points in between.

Panera Bread also does tons and tons of writers groups and book clubs for another consideration. We've also had luck at the Volcano coffee houses for smaller groups. They love us there!

message 10: by Austin (new)

Austin Chant (austinchanted) | 2 comments I'd prefer November 9th - it would give us NaNo folks a little more time to settle into the swing of our novels before we have to go out in the world. :> 1-2pm would be great, especially for people (like me!) who have a decent commute to get back home.

message 11: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "I'd prefer November 9th - it would give us NaNo folks a little more time to settle into the swing of our novels before we have to go out in the world. :> 1-2pm would be great, especially for people..."

November 9th sounds good to me. :)

I'll be talking with GRNW partner Gay City early next week. We might be able to partner with them on this and use their space. :D

message 12: by OkayKim (new)

OkayKim (kmk29) | 2 comments Aaah darn it! If I wasn't intimidated by the traffic up North. I'd be there in a heart beat. Any chance anything happening in Olympia area?

message 13: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
OkayKim wrote: "Aaah darn it! If I wasn't intimidated by the traffic up North. I'd be there in a heart beat. Any chance anything happening in Olympia area?"

I won't be able to make it up to Olympia myself, but that shouldn't stop readers in that region from gathering together. :)

message 14: by Nblibgirl (new)

Nblibgirl | 18 comments I'm a reader interested in meeting. Dates and times ok for me but planning to ride the bus, so hopefully locations will be close to centralized transit to minimize overall travel time/transfers.

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 55 comments It's actually down to Olympia, which is where I am close to. I can drive anyone up from the southern area if interested in going.

message 16: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Okay, everyone seemed good with November 9, and early afternoon, here we go with our first meeting:

Seattle LGBT Romance Reading Group - Meeting #1

When: Saturday, November 9

Time: 1:00pm - 2:30pm

Place: Gay City, 517 E Pike St Seattle, WA 98122 (Capital Hill area, near bus lines) https://www.gaycity.org/

Venue: Gay City Auditorium

Refreshments: Yes! There is the Gay City Cafe, and also we can bring any snacks/lunch with us.

We're happy to partner with Gay City on this first reader meeting, especially since it means they can help spread the word to their patrons and library members. (Speaking of the library, it's right there! So everyone can check it out.)

And to celebrate, we'll be doing a drawing for a gift certificate at the meeting for one of GRNW's sponsors. :D

More news to come. (We may have a special guest join us.) We hope you all can make it!

Felicia (Ferishia) (ferishia) | 33 comments I have it on my calendar! Looking forward to this!

message 18: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Good news! We will have a Special Guest at our first meeting on Nov. 9!

Marlene Harris, who did the keynote address at GRNW about how to help expand library collections will be coming to the meeting, so it'll be a great time to extend the dialogue from the Meet-Up. :) So, feel free to bring your questions!

message 19: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
And yay, we have a Facebook event page now: https://www.facebook.com/events/41178...

Come join it if you plan on attending this first meeting. :D

message 20: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Just a couple weeks away from our first Seattle meeting!

Seattle Meeting

We'll be putting up these flyers around, at Gay City and other places. :)

Looking forward to chatting with you guys!

message 21: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Thanks to everyone who came out today to Gay City for the first Seattle LGBT Romance Reader Group meeting! It was so wonderful to chat with you guys about the books we all love (and I can't wait to gather again in January!)

Speaking of January, how does Saturday, January 18 sound??? Thoughts?

ALSO--you guys were the first to hear about our new GRNW project, in partnership with the YA LGBT Books GoodReads group, we are doing a special YA LGBT-focused book drive for the Seattle nonprofit LGBT youth organization Lambert House. (http://www.lamberthouse.org/)

The book drive will be held this month and next, and will end before Christmas. As part of the drive, GRNW will be reaching out to YA LGBT publishers and authors to see if they would wish to donate some books. (And Harmony Ink and Bold Strokes Books are already on board!)

But we also started a book gift registry (via Amazon's baby registry) for anyone who would like to purchase a YA LGBT book for the drive. Below is a link to the gift registry. Books mostly range in price from $6-$13. If you feel like you would like to participate, please feel free to purchase a book off the registry, and it will get sent to us, and we will deliver it to Lambert House. :)

We're officially launching the drive early next week, but y'all got the first word on it. Thanks for coming today!

Our Book Drive Registry: http://www.amazon.com/registry/baby/1...

message 22: by Jerina (last edited Nov 14, 2013 11:56AM) (new)

Jerina Pillert | 14 comments Had a great time at the Seattle LBBT Romance Reader Group meeting! It was nice to meet new people who are fans of the genre and get so many new and interesting book recommendations.

I won the raffle for the gift certificate from Less Than Three Press and just purchased two books:
1) Selume Proferre
2) Dance with the Devil

Can't wait for the next meet up!

Felicia (Ferishia) (ferishia) | 33 comments It was great meeting everyone! I'm really looking forward to the next meeting. Hopefully I'll have my GRL pics to show & tell! :)

message 24: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Thanks, guys, and great picks, Jerina! Selume Proferre is one of the possible choices in next month's featured reads poll. I look forward to hearing what you think. :D

(I love Dance in the Dark. That is a fab book.)

message 25: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Felicia (Ferishia) wrote: "It was great meeting everyone! I'm really looking forward to the next meeting. Hopefully I'll have my GRL pics to show & tell! :)"

Show and Tell is a neat idea! :D

message 26: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Okay, gang! We talked about January for the next meeting. Sam nixed the 25th, and the 11th is the Portland meeting.

How about Saturday, January 18? Maybe the afternoon again--1pm - 3pm?

And for those who went to the Nov. 9 meeting, did you like the Gay City space?

message 27: by Nblibgirl (new)

Nblibgirl | 18 comments Hi all,
It was great to meet you! Looking forward to the next meeting. I'm fine with 1/18 and the Gay City space was great although we clearly could have used a little more time.
Just read a m/m that I liked and is free at Amazon (probably because the author has a sequel coming in Dec.) AM Arthur's Cost of Repairs. Some of you might like it. Also, Tracy loaned me Gives Light by Rose Christo and she was correct: clearly self-published, in need of a little editing but a really good story. Just started Deep Deception by Cathy Pegau and it's looking good too.

message 28: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Nblibgirl wrote: "Hi all,
It was great to meet you! Looking forward to the next meeting. I'm fine with 1/18 and the Gay City space was great although we clearly could have used a little more time.
Just read a m/m t..."

Thanks, Karen! I'm glad you liked the space, and I agree about needing more time. Next time, we should be in the clear to run longer.

I'm glad you liked Gives Light! Let me know if you want to borrow the next book in the series. :)

message 29: by Nblibgirl (new)

Nblibgirl | 18 comments We talked about Joseph Hansen's Dave Brandstetter (Insurance Investigator in the 60s and 70s) and Michael Nava's Henry Rios (California Public Defender in the 80s) series at our first meeting. Both are on sale at Amazon for $1.99 for each book in their series for those who might be interested. And I broke down over the weekend and bought the Psycop bundle at JCP Books. . . into the 3rd book already. If lending is enabled for either series (Rios or Psycop) I'll be happy to loan . . .

message 30: by ttg (last edited Dec 05, 2013 05:12PM) (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Bummer! So Gay City is busy on Jan. 18.

Other options are:

Sunday, January 19
Saturday, February 1

Thoughts? I think Feb. 1 might be good, but what do you all think?

Add: I'm skipping 1/25 since one of the attendees requested not that date.

message 31: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Good news! Gay City can do Saturday, February 1 for our next Seattle LGBT Romance Reader Group meeting! Yay!

(And it's two days before my b-day, so maybe I can bring some special b-day snacks to share. :D)

message 32: by Nblibgirl (new)

Nblibgirl | 18 comments Treated myself to The Magpie Lord and Bone Rider with holiday gift cards and both live up to the hype IMHO around both. Magpie Lord is a terrific fantasy and Bone Rider is a completely over the top/tongue in cheek scifi romance that had me laughing out loud. Never in a million years would I have picked it up based on the book flap description but it ended up on a couple of "Best of 2013" lists and I'm so glad I gave it a try. I can loan either if people want to give them a try . . .

message 33: by Nblibgirl (new)

Nblibgirl | 18 comments Good news! Gay City can do Saturday, February 1 for our next Seattle LGBT Romance Reader Group meeting! Yay!

FYI - I'm volunteering at Gay City Library on 2/1 from 11 - 2, so will be a little late to the meeting but looking forward to it!

message 34: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Just got snacks for tomorrow's meeting at Gay City! Things will start at 1pm!

And we'll also do a giveaway during the meeting--either a gift certificate to Bold Strokes Books of Dreamspinner Press, winner's choice. :D

Hope to see you guys there! https://www.facebook.com/events/58630...

message 35: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Thanks to everyone who came out today for the Seattle Reader Meeting! It was great to chat with you all! :D

We'll plan the next meeting for early March (March 8-9) and will coincide it with the Gay City Library book sale (so you can come to the meeting and also peruse the sale and buy some cheap books!) Let us know if you prefer that Saturday or Sunday.

Felicia (Ferishia) (ferishia) | 33 comments Thank you again Tracy for another great meeting!

Saturdays work much better for me, so March 8th.

I look forward to seeing everyone again next month!

message 37: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Thanks, Felicia! It was fab to see you too. :D March 8 also works for me.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 32 comments I can't believe I forgot about this again. ARGH!

message 39: by Nblibgirl (new)

Nblibgirl | 18 comments It was great to see everyone. I can do either Sat. or Sun.

message 40: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Alrighty, how about Saturday, March 8 at 1pm? We can meet in the Gay City Cafe. :-) (There's a chance too that we can use GC's downstairs conference room.)

Thoughts? Will that work?

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 32 comments It works for me and it's in my calendar now. Barring a bad migraine or a crisis with one of my kids, I'll be there.

message 42: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
So, we have a Facebook event page for the March 8 meeting here: https://www.facebook.com/events/43472...

Come join the page!

And for news! We have some FREE BOOKS to give away at the meeting by GRNW authors Rick R. Reed, Kim Fielding, and M.J. O'Shea. (Thanks to Dreamspinner for the donation!)

The free books will be first come, first choose, so each person will get to pick a free book. Come early to come pick your fave!

Place: The cafe at Gay City (517 E. Pine Street, Seattle, WA 98122)

*We'll have a table there. Just look for our sign. :)

Time- 1:00pm! We'll probably run until 3pm.

AAAAAND Gay City is doing their Library Book Sale on that weekend, and we just dropped off a 100+ Dreamspinner books for their sale, so we know they have a ton of new stuff!

The book sale will be running all weekend at Gay City in their auditorium. So, come early or stay late so you can check out all the amazing goods! :D

We'll see you on Saturday!

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 32 comments Didn't make it. I had to commit one of the kids. That was fun.

message 44: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Hey, gang! I know we talked about doing our next meeting April 12 at Gay City in their cafe. (Same time at 1pm.) I haven't done any promo for it. Is that too soon? Or would people be up for moving it to Saturday, May 10?

message 45: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 55 comments Hey, if it's May 10th I might actually be able to make it!

message 46: by Felicia (Ferishia) (last edited Apr 07, 2014 09:09PM) (new)

Felicia (Ferishia) (ferishia) | 33 comments April 12th still works for me.

May 10th is the weekend before I leave for RT, so I won't be able to make it. I'll be a little busy prepping/packing. I'll be a little sad I'll miss the meet up if you move it, but there is always the following month. :)

message 47: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
OK! Let's keep this Saturday then. 1:00 at the Gay City Cafe. Who else is in???? :-)

message 48: by Paul (new)

Paul | 30 comments I've got it on my calendar :)

message 49: by Jerina (new)

Jerina Pillert | 14 comments Works for me!

message 50: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
So thanks to everyone who came to the April meeting! Our next meeting will be Saturday, June 14 at the Cafe at Gay City in Seattle! (We're taking May off since some members will be at RT.)

« previous 1 3 4