The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Reading book jackets as fun as watching movie trailers?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (Mood Reader) (last edited May 27, 2009 01:09PM) (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) Alright so I have to admit that I love reading book jackets just as much, if not more than, watching movie trailers. I get excited reading about books I have not opened before because to me I know there is a whole new world waiting for me. Is anyone else like this? I just feel so bad because I could easily waste a day away by reading book jackets. I hope I'm not the only one and if this is an illness will someone seek help for me?

message 2: by El (new)

El Personally I love movie trailers, but generally skip reading book jackets. I prefer to read the jackets after reading the whole book, I guess to see if it was an accurate description of the book. But I much prefer going into books without knowing too much about them; it's more exciting to me that way. :)

But I'm sure you're not alone, and it's certainly not an illness. :)

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Hi there Sarah -
You're not alone and I'm willing to bet I am not the only one who will reply positively to your post :)

Let's face it, isn't the book jacket the first thing draws you to a book? I love your comparing reading book jackets to watching movie trailers. It really is the same thing. No way would anything having to do with perusing books be a wasted day - embrace your illness !

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I always read the jacket first. I even like to read book jackets when I know I'll never read the book.

BTW, I always watch the previews, even on DVDs. (maybe it is a sickness, but don't want a cure:)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) Thanks everyone for your responses.

Diane, I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Where I got the idea to compare movie trailers and book jackets is from my boyfriend. He is dyslexic and can not read books but he loves the movies and listening to books. The movies are his way of "reading". At least that's what his mom has always told me. Then again when he and I were talking about The Da Vinci Code he told me the book is a lot better than the movie.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Sarah, I'm really glad your boyfriend and others can take advantage of audio books and (well made) movies :) I can't imagine not being able to read books.

And I also love previews at the movies (and DVDs). I think it's part of the show.

message 7: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments I love reading the book jackets. I agree with Fiona, I really hate it when they don't have a description on the back of them. I don't want to know what everyone else thinks...I want to know what is going to capture me in this book and want to keep reading it.

I also LOVE previews to other movies. Especially in the movie theatre. LOL

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 112 comments Yes I love the coming attractions gives me ideas for what I want to see.

The Proposal
Funny People
Up
Dawn of the Dinosaurs--Iceage
Star Trek

Reading back covers gives me great ideas for books I want to read

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Fiona wrote: "I like reading the book jacket too. Only the description at the back and I like looking at the front and back cover as well and feeling it.

For me, touching the books is as much of the experience!..."

Fiona, when I lived in Boston, MA we had a Waterstones bookstore. I loved it. I've since moved away, and Waterstones closed :(

message 10: by Diane (last edited May 28, 2009 03:38PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Fiona wrote: "Didn't think you had Waterstones over there... guess you don't any more though!

I like Waterstones, it's okay but my local one is terrible. Whenever you go in there it's the same old books all th..."

no not my favorite authors.
The one in Boston was a lovely store. I lived near it so we would walk to it and hang out for a bit. It was so nice and comfortable. I THINK there was a little satellite Waterstones at Los Angeles International Airport too, years ago, but that is gone also so you're right, we don't anymore!

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) | 93 comments Sadly, I don't enjoy reading book covers. It takes effort to read them, so I'm very dissappointed when I read one that isn't any good. However, there is no effort in watching a trailer, so if it sucks I just move along! I find most of my books to read from GoodReads rather than reading book covers...so far it's steared me right!

message 12: by Daniella (new)

Daniella | 2 comments Oh, I love book jackets and everything on them! That's all the fun in the library and the bookstore...that huge variety of books with different covers and textures, and book jackets. but then you have a problem, because they all look so good you want to get all of them at once! It is like watching movie trailers, but in my opinion book jackets are better. It's hard not to sit around just reading book jackets all day, but then I would never get through an entire book!

message 13: by Carol (last edited May 29, 2009 07:33AM) (new)

Carol (caroldias) Yes it is as fun as watching trailers... But I hate watching trailers xD

I don´t like spoilers, any spoilers... I think trailers shows the end of the movie and book jackets tell the first 10 chapters ¬¬ I only read jackets when I´m not goint to read the book lol

I prefer to ask someone about the book, like I do with Sara lol

message 14: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 117 comments I think book jackets are often too vague and sometimes just praise the book without giving out much detail about its plot. Movie trailers are better because they make me more curious by offering me small bits of the movie.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 112 comments Some book covers give better descriptions without spoilers and give me the idea whether its something I want.