Bookworms discussion

Books you can't forget > The Virgin Suicides

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen So after thinking about The Passion, I started thinking about all of the books I read in college that I loved so much. I became an english major after taking a lit class from Lisa Smith at USD. She required us to read The Passion and she also added The Virgin Suicides to the syllabus.

Many people probably saw the movie but never read the book. If you read the book you'll see why it was made into a movie. . . there is always discussion of angles and perspectives and looking in from the outside.

I'd love to talk about this book with anyone who's read it! I also like the author's second novel, Middlesex.

message 2: by Marsha (last edited Feb 04, 2008 08:39PM) (new)

Marsha I ordered Virgin Suicides from the library. I notice we have a lot of books in common, so I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

Marsha

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 2 comments I shoulda grabbed this one off your shelf today when I saw it!! I'll read it next. I'm hoping to get through a couple of books in Hawai'i.

message 4: by Marsha (new)

Marsha I just finished reading this. Thanks for the recommend- I thought it was really good for many reasons. The point of view was really fresh and interesting- the writing was clear and compelling. I really enjoyed it. I ordered the movie from the library so I can compare now. I never saw that either. I was up to my ears in diapers when the movie came out.