Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Prestige

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Nicole (NikkiNicole) | 2 comments Has anyone seen The Prestige? It star Christian Bale (I think that's his name unless is Christopher Bale) and Hugh Jackman. Its about two magicians and their deadly rivalry. Its intense throughout the movie and has an unsuspecting twist at the end. I was surprised to see it was very entertaining. It was on Starz over the weekend.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 25 comments I actually liked the Illusionist better. The Prestige was indeed a good movie but it had some disturbing scenes that I didn't much care for.

message 3: by ScottK (new)

ScottK I surprisingly liked the Illusionist better as well. Considering the fact that The Prestige was soooo hyped and the Illusionist wasn't really. I did like The Prestige,just liked the Illusionist a smidge better.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2008 03:41PM) (new)

I guess I'd have to go with The Prestige, mostly because I don't clearly remember what The Illusionist was about. Something about becoming invisible? Anyway... As much as I enjoyed The Prestige, the ending, as I recall, doesn't bear close scrutiny. At first glance it makes sense but there's a hitch that doesn't quite add up. Although, on second thought, maybe I need to see it again to be sure. Hmm... Anybody else wonder about that ending?

message 5: by Arctic (new)

Arctic Yeah The Prestige is a great film. I need to read the book.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) I loved the movie. I think that Christopher Nolan does amazing work. His films always make me think. I have read that the movie is not quite the same as the story.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments I liked The Prestige so much more then The Illusionist. They were two completely different movies, both just happened to be about magic.
The Illusionist was about the relationship between Edward Norton and Jessica Biel, with Paul Giamatti playing the inspector.
The Prestige had Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, and Michael Caine.

*****Spoiler*****
In the end of The Prestige we find out that Christian Bale had a twin brother, that is how he did his famous door trick and also why he could feel love for his wife and his assistant- because "he" was two people. We also find out that the machine that Tesla made for Jackman would produce a "twin". When Bale killed Jackman in the basement and you saw all of the twins that is when the illusion of the trick was revealed.