Ms. Rosevear's Sophomore English Class discussion

The Last Man On Earth

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate L. | 6 comments I learned that the working title of 1984 was "The Last Man On Earth".

Any ideas as to why he might call it that?

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Nam | 5 comments Hmmmm. Maybe Orwell wanted to convey that under such oppressive totalitarian society, people have lost their individuality and thoughts so they could be considered as good as..I don't know..machines? and not really "men". And throughout the book, Winston is really the ONLY one who THINKS for himself and most critically, so I think that title, "The Last Man on Earth," refers to Winston.

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Greenberg | 7 comments It could be referring to the last man on earth not to support the party and thinking that there is a brotherhood. Most people say that there is no brotherhood etc., so maybe Orwell was saying that maybe he was that last one to want a revolt, but I really don't have a clue.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt Ng | 7 comments I highly doubt that Winston was the only person who hated the party and wanted to revolt, there are/were probably hundreds of revolters who were probably killed or brainwashed or are still alive but are too scared to do anything about it. But if only one of those revolters is able to succeed and convince the prole population that they are being oppressed then that one person is all that's needed to end the party's crimes.

DoubleTruthRuth | 4 comments Maybe Orwell called the book the last man on earth because he was giving the title from Winston's point of view. The title could have played on the fact that Winston feels alone, being the only one on Earth who feels the way he does about the party. And while obviously there are other people living, he could be considering Winston as the only one alive because of his ability to think for himself and be an individual.

message 6: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 5 comments I think the working title was the last man on earth because Winston was the last person on earth who was not brainwashed by the party. At least this is what O'brien seemed to think when he told Winston basically that exact line ( that Winston was the last of his kind).

message 7: by Omer (new)

Omer Cohen | 5 comments I am convinced that "The last man on earth" is definetely referring to Winston. He is technically one of the very few that has not given in to having the party into controlling his mind. As jenny said, the rest of the people have lost their individuality to believe in their own thoughts.

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Lubatkin | 5 comments Orwell might have been referring to not Winston, but Goldstein. We see that everyone was able to be controlled by the Party except him. It doesn't matter what The Party had to do to deny the people their freedom, ex: room 101, they got it done. Goldstein was the only one able to escape it.

message 9: by Kevinyeom (new)

Kevinyeom | 6 comments I think "man" refers to people who has individuality, who is different from others, like Winston. But the fact that Winston might be the last person to exist as "man", makes him last man on earth. That's what i think.