Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Crusoe #1)
This topic is about Robinson Crusoe
Specific List Books > Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (kimbobo) I had to admit I really liked this book. I thought it was going to be another "the old man and the sea" type since he's all alone for most of the book...but it was actually interesting!

At least I have some good tips if I ever become shipwrecked on a stranded island! =)

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Speaking of The Old Man and the Sea, that is what I just finished.

Smarti | 46 comments Can't really compare the two books, can you? I mean, one is long, one is short, one is 20th century, one is 19th, one is Hemmingway, one is Defoe. I didn't really like The old Man and the Sea, but I enjoyed Robinson Crusoe.

I really like the idea of discussing some of the 1001 books in detail. I think, we should have some discussions here, instead of just adding up, which books we have just read!

Debbie I loved Robinson Crusoe when I was a kid. I think I probably read it 10 times.

Bronwyn | 18 comments I thought Robinson Crusoe was long winded and boring. I did think it was well written and understand why it was on the list.

message 6: by mara (new)

mara | 220 comments Mod
I know....it's one of those books where the idea (stranded on an island) was way more interesting than the book itself

Britta | 2 comments You know ... I had to read this for a graduate level English class in college where we were reading doubles (like reading Defoe's Robinson Crusoe and then J.M. Coetzee's Foe or King Lear and then A Hundred Thousand Acres). If I wasn't forced to, I would never had read this book. It was mundane and boring in the sheer repetition of the lists and such. I couldn't even stomach Foe for that matter but it was better than Crusoe.

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) Robinson Crusoe bored me to tears both times I had to read it. I wonder if I would like it in my older age?

Lamerestbelle | 6 comments Hey Skylar,
Yes you would !
But, believe me, I was very angry when I understood
his ship went for slaves.
Greetings from Belgium.

Galen Johnson (galenj) | 33 comments I read it when I was young, and again this year--20 years difference in perspective made me enjoy it much more. Now that I am actually responsible for feeding, housing, and clothing myself, as well as figuring out how to fix and grow things around the house, it was much more fascinating to consider what it must be like to completely construct your own life without most conveniences. And as a scientist, I found Crusoe's views on his own agriculture interesting. As far as some of the older books on the list go, I thought this was pretty readable--although I don't argue that there aren't tedious parts, and that despite recognizing the differences in culture between then and now, the racist ideas are difficult to read.

Coalbanks | 30 comments I wonder if in another 100 years his "carnivore" values will be as difficult to read as his "racist" values are today?

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) ] I wonder if in another 100 years his "carnivore" values will be as difficult to read as his "racist" values are today?

In short: No.

Peggy (grammypeggy) | 6 comments I loved R.C. When my kids were watching the TV show "Survivor" we read R. C. together as a family. They soon lost interest in the TV show. Oh, the power of good books!!

I think the issue of slavery was handled very nicely. He went from working on the salving ship to depending on "Friday" for his survival. It is hard to step back and see their behavior in context with the morals of their time. I tend to judge their behavior by the morals of our times. I am just glad I live in a more enlightened time in history.

message 14: by Chel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chel | 376 comments I thought RC was terrific and his finding of the footprint on his island is one of the alltime classic moments of literature in my view. At that point you are really into the character's head and the footprint seems to psychically vibrate within the character's experiences within the book. It also become the start of a key plot turning point in the book.

Gerald Camp (gerryc) | 75 comments But he doesn't tell Friday to call him "Rob" but rather to call him "Master." And when he teaches Friday English (never mind learning Friday's language), he teaches him a grammatically incorrect English with verb tenses incorrect, so he becomes a "darkie" stereotype when he speaks. He and Friday are together several years; why not teach him to speak grammatical English? Because Friday is a "savage" and therefore unable to speak grammatically?

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (beatrixkiddo) Pardon my ignorance, but does this book has any resemblance with The Misterious Island, by Julius Verne?? I have only read the latter, and I was fascinated by it, and I'm afraid if I read Robinson Crusoe it will seem to me a copy of Verne's. What do you think?

message 17: by Chel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chel | 376 comments Gerald wrote: "But he doesn't tell Friday to call him "Rob" but rather to call him "Master." And when he teaches Friday English (never mind learning Friday's language), he teaches him a grammatically incorrect En..."

The impression I got was that Crusoe was in another part of the world and had met a native to the part of the world he was stranded in and had already built a system of survival through many hardships that had worked for him. In this shocking encounter with another human he had to make him part of his system and establish dominance for safety because he was concerned about future attacks and deaths from natives of a foreign culture. As for speaking English, it is a very difficult second language for anyone to learn. I cannot speak for Stevenson's depiction of cultural practices of other natives which appears to possibly be fictitious and entirely a creation of the author's.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Kim wrote: "I had to admit I really liked this book. I thought it was going to be another "the old man and the sea" type since he's all alone for most of the book...but it was actually interesting!

At least..."

Stranded in an island? Better read The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne.

I'm sorry but I find Robinson Crusoe awfully boring and self-serving *shrugs*

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (beatrixkiddo) I haven't read RC yet, but the Mysterious Island is a great piece of work! However, I think you shouldn't read that book if you haven't read "20,000 leagues under the sea" and "Captain Grant's Children" before, because in MI you will find out the real end of them, and there may be stuffs you don't understand completely =)

Ariel | 4 comments I find this book long and boring, sorry...

Becky (munchkinland_farm) | 233 comments I was looking forward to this audiobook because it was narrated by Simon Vance and I enjoyed "Last of the Mohicans". Unfortunately, the "mistelling" of this story in popular culture left me disappointed. I can appreciate Chel's comment about the significance of the footprint, but it was no surprise to me (similar to Citizen Kane and Charle's Shultz's spoiler about the identity of Rosebud!). I had believed, prior to reading the story, that Friday was also a lone survivor, and not one of many of the locals. I hate to admit I kept having flashbacks of scenes from Gilligan's Island - I am a child of the 70's!!!

Alana (alanasbooks) | 125 comments This one dragged for me in many places, but I loved the overall theme by the end. I thought it was very honest and real. He doesn't become a perfectly good guy in the end, he is still flawed, but he has changed. He still views Friday as lower than himself...but he has learned to respect him. He has learned to be content and what it takes not only to survive, but how to retain one's soul. I can't imagine going through an ordeal like that, but I can see someone being very much like this man.

Jennifer After feeling for years that I should have read RC by now, I was sorely disappointed.

Stephanie "Jedigal" (jedigal) | 271 comments I was disappointed too. Too repetitive, too preachy.

Jennifer Stephanie- Which book from 1001 Books are you reading now?

Stephanie "Jedigal" (jedigal) | 271 comments Jennifer wrote: "Stephanie- Which book from 1001 Books are you reading now?"

Have you checked out the threads "Which LIST book did you just finish?" and "Which LIST book did you just start?" on the 'general' board in this group? Great place to see what people are up to!

I'll post an update there! I'm a bit behind after the holiday!

Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mysterious Island (other topics)