Young Adult Fiction! discussion

The Library-(book suggestions) > Teen Librarians- Yr opinons about sex in YA lit

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Biederman | 4 comments Dear Fellow librarians,

Your help is needed on a survey seeking to aggregate the opinions OF Teen librarians FOR Teen librarians on sex and sexually related topics in YA lit. The issue is not censorship (sex in teen novels is here to stay!), but rather about developing an evaluation tool for YA librarians.

My name is Lynn Biederman and I received my MLS with a concentration in YA literature 7 years ago. I became interested in writing for teens while substituting in high school and middle school libraries. My YA novel, Unraveling, was published last year (Delacorte Press, 2008) and a second novel, Teenage Waistland, co-written with Lisa Pazer, will be released in the Fall of 2010.

I will be presenting “Sex in YA Lit: Blume to Block & Beyond” at ALA 2009 this July in Chicago.

Thank you so much in advance for your time—it will take approximately 3-5 minutes. All is confidential and results can be sent to anyone interested by providing contact info at end of survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm...

MANY THANKS,
Lynn

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 1 comments Lynn wrote: "Dear Fellow librarians,

Your help is needed on a survey seeking to aggregate the opinions OF Teen librarians FOR Teen librarians on sex and sexually related topics in YA lit. The issue is not ce..."

Lynn, I was at ALA this week, but because of a conflict, I was not able to attend your session. Is there a copy of the survey available with the results? I'd be thrilled if you could share. I am the Youth Services Consultant for a regional library system in the southern part of Illinois and work with the "choice" award for middle school students in the state. My e-mail address is epopit@shawls.lib.il.us. Thank you! ---Ellen

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Biederman | 4 comments Absolutely, Ellen. It'll probably be another week before I can organize what I'm sending out. I've got 450 + librarians on my list and just added you.

The results were so interesting and I look forward to sharing them with you.
Best,
Lynn

message 4: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 36 comments Lynn, please add my name also, I am a high school librarian (grades 10-12)in Abington, PA and would love if you could share the results with me, I would appreciate it. My name is bjneary@ comcast.net