Challenge: 50 Books discussion

*Retired* 2008 Lists > Rachel's Books for 2008

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Feb 08, 2008 05:44PM) (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) 1) "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Feb 17, 2008 07:39AM) (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) 2) "The Chicago Way" by Michael Harvey

Being a native Chicagoian, I truly enjoyed this book. To me, the book was part detective story and part tour of the northside of Chicago! The detective story was okay - I found the characters interesting. The mystery aspect was engaging. But for me the true beauty in this story was the great descriptions of places in Chicago. The streets, bars, hotels - they are all real. For me it was exciting to be able to mentally picture the scenarios in the story so accurately.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 74 comments What did you think of Pillars? I was interested in it, but it hasn't made it on my to-read list yet?

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) I liked Pillars! I'm not sure it was the best book I ever read, but the story moved along and I do think the book changed my life. Not in any major way, but know when I see building I want to know the story behind the people who built it. How long did it take them? Were there any tragedies or delays during the building process? I'm sure this will definitely come into play when I visit Scotland this September.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) 3) "Austenland" by Shannon Hale

I LOVED this book :) It is a fun read - delicious chick lit! But it is better than any regular chick lit because the star of the book gets to do what all us hopeless romantic gals would love to do - live in a Jane Austen scenario. For three weeks a modern-day woman goes to play dressup in a submersion vacation. How much fun would that be?

I listened to this story on audiobook. It is about 8 hours long. I put it on this evening while I was doing a few things around the house and I got so sucked in that I listened to the last 5 hours non-stop. What a way to spend a Saturday night :) But I couldn't stop myself. I kept wanting to know what was going to happen between Jane and the various men.

By the way, I just watched Pride & Prejudice last weekend and I think I may have to watch it again!

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) 4) "A Private Hotel for Gentle Ladies" by Ellen Cooney

I did not get this book at all. This is one of those books I picked up to read on a plane. It never grabbed my interest - which is maybe why it took me almost a year to read. I could never quite give up on it though because I wanted to find out what happened. From the title, I assumed it would be a somewhat juicy read. It is not at all.

I won't spoil anything, but by reading the book's description you find out that a woman leaves her husband because she thinks he is cheating on her. She ends up a "A Private Hotel for Gentle Ladies" and you think things should start to get interesting. The book never had enough depth for me to really understand the relationships or the characters. And Charlotte's whole thing about her own husband I did not get at all.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) 5) "The Rose of York: Love & War" by Sandra Worth

I read this book for the European Royalty book club here at Goodreads.com. I normally would not have purchased this book because I was not that interested in Richard III. I have read several books about English kings and queens and I was not eager to add another book about this king which is so notorious in history. How wrong I was. One of the best things is how surprised I was with the story. I was addicted to it by page 40, even though the main characters were children still.

The story takes place during the War of the Roses - something I did not remember too much about since learning about it in high school. I knew England was in civil war during that time, but I really appreciate how Sandra Worth brought all of these people to life through her dialog. Most of the story takes place from the perspective of Richard III and in fact he is the hero of the story. But you also get into the heads of many others involved in his life at the time.

This is a love story - as on can judge by looking at the cover - but it is not typical. There is so much more in this book: war, treachery, loyalty, murder, revenge, sympathy, kindness . . . this book has it all.

In fact, this book is the first part in a three-part series by Sandra Worth. This series has won a whole bunch of awards. I have already ordered the next two books and can not wait to read the continuing story of Richard III and the others in his life.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) 6) "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" by Salman Rushdie

I'm not sure what to make of The Ground Beneath Her Feet: half of me LOVES it and half of it frustrates me. Overall, the story was absolutely beautiful. But sometimes the characters annoyed me. This is supposed to be story of rock 'n' roll and sometimes I found that a bit lacking. However, that aside, I really love how Salman Rushdie writes. He weaves a brilliant tale.

I listened to the audiobook of this novel. The narrator, Christopher Cazenove, brought alot of drama to the book that I might just have hurried through. His words sounded so melodious at times and I don't think I would have been able to recreate all the expression while reading it myself.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is listed as one of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before you Die. In fact, I chose to read this book now because it is the selection of that monthly book club at GoodReads.com. It was a good pick and I'm really glad I was exposed to Salman Rushdie.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) 7) "Heroes: Volume One" by DC Comics

I think this is a fun book, but of course I am a fan of the Heroes television series. This is the first graphic novel I have ever read and I think I will be picking up a few more. The best thing in owning this book is that some of the comic artwork used for the chapter headings is the same stuff used in the show. You have the artwork of Hiro arriving in New York, Peter flying, and several other pieces that were highlighted in the plot. In addition to complementing the existing characters, you find out the back story for some others. It only took me a few hours to read and I really enjoyed it.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess_chitty) I love the show 'Heroes' too... I had no idea about this graphic novel! I have to put it on my list. This way, the long wait till next season may not feel as long. Thanks for mentioning this book! How many volumes are there?

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) Jessica - so far the is one volume in print. But you should check out the official Heroes Evolution site because they are posting the next volume online. Each week you get a new chapter.

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/evolutions/

I think it's in PDF format. I find it hard to read so I'm hoping they publish another book. I really like to flip through it for the artwork.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess_chitty) Awesome, thanks for the tip Rachel. I will check it out!!!

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) 8) "Pride and Prescience: Or, A Truth Universally Acknowledged" by Carrie Bebris.

Seeing that this book picks up right after Mr. and Mrs. Darcy (of Pride and Prejudice fame) get married, I had a had time getting into this book. In the beginning I could not really picture the Darcy's saying some of the things that were in this book. It was like the writing was so different than Jane Austen that it was jarring. But after about 50 pages I got into the book at started appreciating it for what it is: a lighthearted mystery that happens to continue on the romance of characters I already love. It was an easy read and in fact I looked forward to finding out what happens next each night as I read it before bed. I think you will enjoy this continuation of Elizabeth and Darcy, Jane and Bingley, and some of the other characters. But if you want Austen, then read Austen.

message 14: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) | 54 comments Rachel I agree about Private Hotel. I didn't even finish it. You did much better than I did. After about 50 pages I was done and I thought it was going to be such a juicy read.