Artipathy discussion

Dear Theo > Art of the Self

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
I'm wondering what you guys are thinking of V.G.? He seems so self absorbed. There is this notion that the artist must be so, that all is secondary to his/her creation of art, including personal relationships. He seems to be the embodiment of this. So, is it necessary to be so single minded to do good art? What do you think? I'll give my opinion when I've heard from you!

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 30 comments I still have to read it. But I think there are a lot of fantastic artists that didn't take it this far. I mean you have to have the confidence and self esteem to put it out there in the first place, so yes it is about the self or it would never be anything in the first place. But I would think that life, friends, family, the feelings and experiences these bring, are essential to the process as well.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 30 comments It is slow goign but it is interesting. I never knew he studied to be in the clergy when young. I just don't see that influence in his art. I feel for him having to beg for money too.