Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Fountain

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 46 comments I just purchased the used DVD of this movie. It looks interesting. I thought the same directors' "Requiem For A Dream" was thought provoking. Has anyone seen The Fountain?

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy | 8 comments Visually, it was gorgeous. I thought the parallel story line were intersting

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I hated this movie. It had some interesting qualities, and some beautiful visuals, but I was itchy-twitchy to leave 20 minutes in and the feeling never left me. I exited the theater ruing time and money spent. But my husband liked it.

message 4: by Arctic (new)

Arctic Loved this movie. It's very different from Requiem though - much more abstract. You might like Pi better. This one is kind of a love it or hate it film.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I didn't like it. It was confusing & I wasn't in the mood for confusing.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 14 comments i actually enjoyed my interpretation of the fountain better than the director's (i rented the dvd so i could watch all the extras, because i just HAD to see all the making of features). i didn't like that the bubble was supposed to be the future (i though it was the man from the present's internal dialogue for dealing with his wife's inevitable death). but, aside from that i'd say it's his best movie. pi left me with a migraine both times i watched it and requiem had me curled in the fetal postition in pain and i haven't been able to bring myself to watch it again. the fountain was just as affecting, but in a good way. you leave and you feel somehow lighter but a little off, sort of like waking from a long nap. but you really don't go seeing darren aronofsky movies if you're not prepared to be a little confused when you leave. he doesn't write stories, he writes parables.

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I actually enjoy slow, thought-provoking films and I don't have to have someone hold my hand and explain every confusing detail, but this movie bombed at our house. We couldn't get past 20 minutes of it.

But, like Lynn, I might not have been in the mood for confusing and one day I might and would be willing to give it another go.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth I liked this movie a lot. I read some interviews with Aronofsky about the movie. He apparently had a terrible time getting it made, especially financially, and he had to alter his original vision quite a bit. The whole thing with the "astronaut in the bubble" was interesting to me. In one article I read, Aronofsky said that he is bothered by the presentation of spacecraft in most sci-fi movies. I think he used the phrase "trucks in space", his point being that why would spacecraft far in the future still look like big metal machines? I thought it was really creative to use a different idea for space travel, even if it was kind of weird.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 19 comments I HATED it, now granted, I am no literati nor am I into all the artsy films. But I can appreciate a good movie, no matter the genre. I appreciated the aesthetics of this one, it was quite gorgeous. But it was tedious and slow and unclear. I don't mind having to think at a movie, but with this one I didn't feel like I had to think, I felt like I should have studied or done a thesis on the subject matter and then I might have understood it! Ugh. Sorry, I did try!