Great Female Protagonists discussion

Book Recommendations > Historical Fiction Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (carolynanne) | 16 comments Mod
Please post your historical fiction recommendations here.

message 2: by Carolyn (last edited Feb 04, 2008 10:00AM) (new)

I love historical fiction, so I have lots of rec's for that genre with great female protagonists.

These is My Words- Nancy Turner
Gracelin O' Malley- Anne Moore
Year of Wonders- Geraldine Brooks
Witch of Balbriggan- Arline Whyte
One Thousand White Women- Jim Fergus
Divining Women- Kaye Gibbons
The Other Boleyn Girl- Phillipa Gregory
The Winthrop Woman- Anya Seton
Katherine- Anya Seton
I Capture the Castle- Dodie Smith
The Many Lives and Sorrows of Josephine B.- Sandra Gullard
The Doomsday Book- Connie Willis (it's half historical fiction and half science fiction)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 2 comments I too like historical fiction and some of my fave females are Amelia Peabody and Anne Perry's Charlotte Pitt. I don't have a list of titles because they're series. The other great one coming out of the Amelia Peabody novels is her daughter/in-law Nefret.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Thanks Ldtchr! I actually ordered Crocodile On the Sandbank from paperbackswap.com a couple weeks ago (and am anxiously awaiting it).

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina | 3 comments One of my favorite female protagonists is Rachel Kalama from Alan Brennert's Molokai.

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Another good historical mystery series is Laura Joh Rowland's Sano Ichiro mysteries (beginning with Shinju). I think it's not until a couple in that Ichiro's wife, Reiko, really starts getting a big part, but she's a great character and helps out in the murder investigations.

If you can find them at a used book store or library (sadly, they've gone out of print), Linda Lay Shuler's series beginning with She Who Remembers is great. It's one of the better series revolving around ancient Native Americans.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 2 comments Carolyn,
I think I've read most of the Amelia adventures. Enjoy Crocodile!! I've not heard of paperbackswap - I'll have to check it out!

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) I love the Jane Austen Mysteries by Stephanie Barron. They are, as the name implies, mysteries, but the best part is that Jane Austen is the detective/heroine. They are very well written; there is a nice blend of Austen's life with the history of Regency England and a murder mystery.

message 9: by Steph (new)

Steph (kitsune_chan) I love The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura My best recommendations, so far:
Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow, The Recknoning, When Christ and His Saints Slept - Sharon Kay Penman
Katherine, Green Darkness, Dragonwick - Anya Seton
Forever Amber - Kathleen Winsor
Innocent Traitor - Alison Weir
Marie Antoinette: The Journey - Antonia Fraser
The Rose of York: Love and War - Sandra Worth
The Secret Lion - C.W. Gortner
The Canterbury Papers: A Novel - Judith Healey
The Light Bearer - Donna Gillespie
The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B., Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe - Sandra Gulland

JG (Introverted Reader) I would add The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura I would add The White Mare by Jules Watson

message 13: by Lee (last edited Feb 07, 2009 11:58AM) (new)

Lee (leekat) How about Pope Joan A Novel by Donna Woolfolk Cross.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) The Lady Julia Grey Series is amazing. The first book is Silent in the Grave.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (gardengallivant) | 8 comments Anything by Geraldine Brooks is well researched and written with perception as to the roles of women in all classes. "The People of the Book" "Year of Wonders"
http://www.geraldinebrooks.com/

message 16: by Haley (new)

Haley (Ibrakeforwords) | 1 comments Morgaine from Mists of Avalon, Gemma from the Great and Terrible Beauty series, Jane Popyncourt from Secrets of the Tudor Court: The Pleasure Palace.

message 18: by Tlovesbooks (new)

Tlovesbooks | 1 comments Scout Finch's character in To Kill a Mockingbird and Chiyo in Memoirs of a Geisha.

message 19: by Monica (new)

Monica Sinha | 1 comments Just read Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn, fantastic female protagonist!

message 20: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Diana Gabaldon!

message 21: by T.H. (new)

T.H. Simon | 1 comments The Secret of Siam by T.H. Simon The Secret of Siam

My wife and I traveled to Thailand for two weeks on our honeymoon. Throughout the trip, I was in constant awe of the culture, the history, and the places that we were fortunate enough to visit. This historical fiction novel is, in a way, a love letter to the Kingdom of Thailand, celebrating the beauty, mystery, and wonder I experienced there. It features two great female protagonists.

Description:

The Kingdom of Siam, at the end of the 1700s, is on the verge of being conquered. One woman, Malee, the youngest princess, has the ability to prevent it. Together, with the friendship of a peasant girl, the affection of her private guard who was once a childhood friend, and the wisdom of two generals who are destined for great things themselves, Malee must make a decision that will choose the fate of her kingdom; a choice between love and identity, between the innocent and freedom, between bargaining and fight.

In modern-day Thailand, recent college graduate Kalya searches for clues to her family’s past. Guided only by a series of journals passed down through generations, Kalya seeks to uncover more about who she is by understanding the country and culture she comes from. In the process, she finds herself uncovering a secret over 200 years old that lays at the heart of both her family’s past and the birth of a new kingdom.

message 22: by C.L.R. (new)

C.L.R. (irishgirl) | 1 comments Sounds fascinating! Hope to read it soon...

message 23: by Olga (new)

Olga Akdogan (olga_akdogan) | 1 comments Recently I read a historical fantasy series Medieval Tale by Lina J. Potter. This is a "what if" story about a 21-century medical student in the middle ages and her endeavors as a Countess to make a positive societal impact. Very inspiring narrative! Lina J. Potter

message 24: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1 comments sounds interesting.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara There is a Jane Austen industry that's been going on for years - not only sequels to her books, but books taking her characters into new adventures. Two of my favorites were written some years back - Lady Vernon and Her Daughter, which is a completion of Austen's early work, Lady Susan and A Match for Mary Bennet, which brings the most insignificant Bennet sister into the forefront.

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Two other books that came to mind when I was replying to another topic are Shogun and The Far Pavilions, one set it feudal Japan, the other in colonial India.