A New Earth discussion

Chapter One Discussions > Quotes I Liked: Chapter One

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (last edited Mar 02, 2008 09:23AM) (new)

Karey (KareyShane) Although Chapter One was heavier than I expected, and the vocabulary isn't in line with the anonymous quote, "To know and be understood by all, know the big words and use the small," there are some quotes that really hit home with me:

You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is already within you, and allowing that goodness to emerge." (p. 13)

message 2: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 26 comments Mod
I read Chapter 1 last night. The pages are double-spaced and I LIKED that. The chapters are not too long either and I LIKED that.

I found myself saying, "That's right" as I read it. For instance, our state of mind has a built in "dysfunction" or madness.
----That's obvious in how we have behaved throughout history. Killing each other over religion, land, wealth; how we are continuing to destroy the very planet we live on (rain forests, etc). That's just plain crazy.

What about the many different religions/spiritual names for this dysfunction, maya (Hinduism), dukkha (Buddhism), sin (Christianity).

We all have a defective state of mind that must be overcome: Both Hinduism and Buddhism call it "enlightenment" in Christianity we call it "salvation."

The chapter goes on to say how people believe their religion or belief is the only one, but if they open their "eyes" they see a bigger picture.

I thought it was interesting to read where the title of this book came from, page 23.

There were some deep concepts that I had to pause over, re-read and mull before going on. I plan on reading this book a chapter at a time, so I can digest it.

Hope you have a wonderful time in New York!

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) I had to turn off the radio and be in a semi-quiet place so I could concentrate on this book, or at least the first chapter!

There were two things that were an "aha" moment for me. The first was on page 9 talking about original sin and that sin is a word that has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. to sin means to miss the mark, so it really means to miss the point of human existence. When we "sin" we are doing something that goes against human existence.

The second was on the last page, 23, when he talked about how the title came about and that a new heaven is really an inner realm of consciousness. So A New Heaven is the emergence of a transformed state of human consciousness.

I'm off to try and read chapter 2 before I get back to work. This book is definitely going to make me think!

message 4: by Karey (new)

Karey (KareyShane) Many people are already aware of the difference between spirituality and religion. They realize that having a belief system--a set of thoughts that you regard as the absolute truth--does not make you spiritual no matter what the nature of those beliefs is.....Many "religious" people...claim to be in sole possession of the truth in an unconscious attempt to protect their identity....Unless you believe (think) exactly as they do, you are wrong in their eyes. (p. 17)

This particular quote is interesting to me, since it shows how our thoughts get in the way of the age-old plea from the worlds greatest teachers in Jesus Christ, the Buddha and others to love one another, or to have compassion. How can we truly love and accept others if our very thoughts put us in a position of judgment?

message 5: by Buff (new)

Buff (buffholtman) | 3 comments I've just finished reading Chp 1. Having been involved with A COURSE IN MIRACLES and read THE POWER OF NOW by E.Tolle, the reading was so familiar.

What I find interesting is that as we go through life, we find ourselves 'evolving' and not being certain we are in the right place or going in the right direction. This chapter told me that many others are evolving or changing direction from the beliefs with which we've been raised and our social circle enforces.

I too found his 'sin' and 'earth' definitions enlightening. I'm going to like this book and this discussion group. I like your question, KSR: How can we truly love and accept others if our very thoughts put us in a position of judgment? Thanks.

message 6: by Hugh (new)

Hugh Chatfield | 3 comments Let me play devil's advocate here a bit.

Chapter 1 confused me a little. There were elements of truth - like the notion of "you" consisting of two parts - "the talking you" - that part you can "hear" verbalising in your head - and some other part that doesn't speak.

I believe the "talking part' was referred to as the "unconcious part" - and the the other part as the "(true) concious" part.

It seems to me that more "common" usage would refer to the "talking part" as the concious you - and the other part being the unconcious you.

Non the less - the notion of becoming "aware" of the non-talking part is important - as it seems to be responsible for a good deal of what goes on your head. You don't verbalize to see, hear, smell, feel, problem solve, walk, ride a bike, drive a car, keep your balance... and the myriad of things that this part of you is responsible for on a second by second basis. These are all acts carried out by the "unconcious you".

However, it seems to me that both are part of you and "just are" - there is no inherent good or bad associated with either... but I continue to read to see where this all is going.

I can remember chatting with a girl who was astounded at the ideas that seem to arise spontaneously in her head. She told me she took this as proof of the existence of a God - since she "knew" that she was "incapable of having these thoughts" - only a divine being could have put them there. I didn't try to argue this point with her - but it seemed to me that since she did experience these thoughts - as did most other people I was aware of - she was indeed capable of thinking them. Perhaps in the context of this book - she was merely unaware of her "untalking self" from which these ideas probably emerged.

I believe you have to be very careful in interpreting things - everything is in fact an "illusion". Think about it... using both versions of "you"... Neils Bohr once said that you don't "see a chair"... your eyes receive electromagnetic energy (photons), that is converted to electrical energy in your retina, which is then processed in the back of your head - giving rise to the notion of "a chair"... a learned experience.... in your head. You interpret these signals as the existence of a physical object out in front of you - "out there" - a certain size, colour perhaps - but everything really happens inside... behind your eyes.

The "real world" is far weirder than any of us can imagine yet - so I continue on with the read to see what insights this book might give.

message 7: by Kitt (new)

Kitt | 7 comments Well, I'm going to go out on a limb with an idea that is not completely formulated in my own mind. I think that our inability to transcend spiritually diminishes our ability to operate at the capacity that we were created with. I think that sometimes people confuse their own spirit with God's spirit. I often wonder why an animal does not recognize itself in a mirror. I think that maybe it is because their dominate sense is the sense of smell rather than vision. I think that we probably could communicate telepathically, for instance, if we did not use our brain as our primary "sense."

message 8: by Buff (new)

Buff (buffholtman) | 3 comments Hi Hugh! (BTW, I love the name Hugh.....so much so that our son is named Hugh!)

I digress: I understand your confusion about the separate parts. The 'talking part of you' is your ego. The silent part of you is your spiritual side.

Have you ever noticed that you find yourself beating yourself up or congratulating yourself verbally? You didn't ask 'the critic' to comment, but there it is.
That's our ego. For some reason we believe 'the critic.' Why? Because we are 'of the world.' If we can disconnect from those thoughts and reconnect with our spirit, we find other ways to think. It's not easy, but it is worth trying.

Hopefully, the girl with whom you were chatting had thoughts of benevolence and not violence in her head. It's scary when we believe all our thoughts are from God. We are of God; God gave us a brain but we forget to use it as a tool as we go through life to work through life situations like uninvited thoughts or barbs.

When we connect with our spiritual side, we tend of get ourselves out of our way. Does that make sense?

I hope my comments haven't confused you further.

message 9: by Hugh (new)

Hugh Chatfield | 3 comments Hi Buff..

I understand what you and Tolle are saying... and - no - you didn't confuse me further.

My comments were directed at using terminology differently than "common usage". If terms like "concious", "unconcious", and "ego" are used - and are used differently from "common usage" - then this should be explained up front, else the discussion is loaded with mixed meanings.

For example - ego comes to us from Freud's 'structural model' of the psyche. In German he used the terms: 'das Es', 'das Ich', and 'das Über-Ich' -- respectively, 'the It', 'the I', and the 'Over-I' (or 'Upper-I').

These got translated into 'id', 'ego' and 'super-ego' in the translation from German to English.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego for more details.

The word "ego" today comes with extra baggage - usually with a negative connotation - e.g. egotistical .

I think the word "unconcious" is being used to describe the talking part - which in my world is the "concious" part. There is my "sub-concious" part which is being describes as "concious".. again usage that seems different from common usage.

So my difficulty is related to Tolle using terms I am used to but in a different context and with different meainings.

Non the less, I can live with this, I keep an open mind and hope to see whether he can provide any insights.

"There is more to heaven and earth, Horatio, than is dreamt of in your philosophy" - Shakespeare

I am trained in Physics and Science, so usually don't tolerate what I call "fuzzy wuzzy" texts too well. I am participating in all this because I want to observe (and participate in) the world wide discussion group on the text - and also because my doctor had previously recommended I read "Now" which I found to be mildly interesting.

message 10: by Karey (new)

Karey (KareyShane) Interesting discussion. Who else has some quotes they liked in Chapter One?

message 11: by Kathrynn (last edited Feb 29, 2008 11:43AM) (new)

Kathrynn | 26 comments Mod
As I re-read Chapter 1, I made notes and found several quotes that I liked:

1. Page 8, "You cannot fight against ego and win. Just as you cannot fight against darkness. The light of consiousness is all that is necessary. You are the light."
-- Yes, you are the light. We are the light to the darkness...the flower...

2. Page 9, "To sin means to miss the mark."
-- Yes, to sin means to miss the point...of human existence. It means to live unskillfully, blindly and thus to suffer and cause suffering.

-- Yeah boy!

3. Page 13, "You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is already within you, and allowing that goodness to emerge."

-- Is't that so true? I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around. It's a projection that comes back to you--but stronger.

4. Page 18, ..."how spiritual you are has nothing to do with what you believe but everything to do with your state of consciousness."

-- Yes. I my experience I have found that many (not all) "devout" Christians are the most unchristianlike individuals. Ruthless. Don't blink and eye in tearing someone down. Gossip mongers. Yet, want to hide behind their religion (whatever that religion is) and claim rightousness.

..."determines how you act in the world and interact with others."

(right on)

5. How about this one it's not a quote but in the first few pages of chapter 1.

- If you choose to accept, your state of consciousness will change (shift) or it will not. Only if you are ready, will you awaken.

---In other words, the timing may not be right for you right now for you to grasp the enlightenmment. "When you recognize the unconsciousness in you....you awaken.

- That's a Dr. Philism if I ever heard one. "You can't change what you don't acknowledge."

Amen

(pardon the typo's)

message 12: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn (evie77) Notable Quotes:

p. 22 "What a liberation to realize that "the voice in my head" is not who I am." [Because the voice I hear in MY head is really crazy!]

p. 22 The definition of evil: "....complete identification with form - physical forms, thought forms, emotional form. This results in a total unawareness of connectedness with the whole, the "other" as well as the Source. With the delusion of utter separateness, what kind of world is created?" [The world of Idi Amin, Stalin, Hitler, serial killers....]

p. 23 "If you can recognize illusion as illusion, it dissolves." [Here's to getting better at recognition!]