TWILIGHT HATERS discussion

Twilight Lover's Topics > I just wanna say . . . .

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tmedward01 (new)

Tmedward01 | 1 comments I would like to start of by saying that this book was simply a pleasure to read.

Before signing up for this account, I began reading all the bad reviews. I am not interested in the 5 star reviews because I am already aware of the book's excellence. I have some comments for all of you who do not quite enjoy reading Twilight. A good reader must have an imagination and undewrstands the author'a point. Of course, we are all entitled to our own opinions. Mine, fore example, is that Twilight is the best book there is. Bella is an ordniary girl that everyone can relate to. She thinks herself as imprefect and ungraceful, but she is more than that and appears lovely to everyone she meets. We are all like her. We arent't aware of our beauty. Edward is described as perfect in Meyer's novel. But as Robert Pattinson (actor) has mentioned a numerous amount of times, he isn't perfect. But when you're in love, doesn't your object of affection seem perfect to you? Do you not overlook all flaws? As for the fact that he is accused of being controlling and obsessive, he isn't. He thinks and knows he is so imperfect. The only reason for living he has is Bella. He doesn't want anything to happen to her because of all the love he has for her. If you were a mother, would you not do the same for your child? Would you not shield her from what you think is dangerous, even if your wrong? And if you, like me, are still young, would you call your own mother or father overbearing? He loves her and thus, protects her from all harm. In this novel, Bella may be a tad stubborn, but aren't we all?

Many are saying that the character of women in this series is very weak. I too have something to say about this. Women in this book arent completely human. Not most of them anyway. Bella was very reluctant to let Edward assist her in anyway at the start of this novel, she does show some strength as a woman. In Breaking Dawn, she does keep secrets from Edward and becomes self-sufficient in order to protect her daughter.

As for Team Edward or Team Jacob, well TEAM EDWARD all the way.!! That might be because I am positively in love with him, but still. I am not going to argue with those of you who are on Team Jacob because I can relate as well. For me, Harry Potter is my Jacob and Twilight is my Edward. Those of you who have read both books may be able to figure out the analogy. Twilight is Harry Potter with sex appeal.

I recommend this book to anyone. It is inspirational. It has made many think that anything is possible.!!

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Carrow | 111 comments Well, I suppose you have a point and yay, you're sane. However, I'll still go with Stephen King on this. Meyer can't write worth a darn. There are a thousand plotholes in the series like how Edward can reproduce.

message 3: by Ruchi (new)

Ruchi (ohlookitsruchi) The "love" that you talk about- that Edward feels for Bella and vice versa seems to have developed overnight. One day Edward is a super hot guy that sits next to her in Biology, and the next day, they feel physically ill if they're away from each other for more than five minutes?

And as for the parent analogy- its interesting that you'd bring it up. Edward is her boyfriend, not her parent. Also, when you are in love, you do not overlook your partner's faults. You accept them and love them inspite of it.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Tmedward01 wrote: "I would like to start of by saying that this book was simply a pleasure to read.

Before signing up for this account, I began reading all the bad reviews. I am not interested in the 5 star revie..."

omg i think the same thing thnx for saying it mayb they will listen to u

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Jim wrote: "Well, I suppose you have a point and yay, you're sane. However, I'll still go with Stephen King on this. Meyer can't write worth a darn. There are a thousand plotholes in the series like how Edward..."

that does make sence actually but i don't want to tell u cuz can u say AKWARD sp

message 6: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie Stephenie wrote a huge ridiculous post on her website about vampire reproduction: scroll down a bit here, you'll find it. I laughed when I read it.

message 7: by Giggles (new)

Giggles lol

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Stefanie wrote: "Stephenie wrote a huge ridiculous post on her website about vampire reproduction: scroll down a bit here, you'll find it. I laughed when I read it."

o, gawsh, thats interesting... but i like hamlet endings... exept 4 in sweeney todd... i HATED that ending....

message 9: by Giggles (new)

Giggles yep

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin i am

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin wait y do u care

message 12: by Highd (new)

Highd I would also like to point out to you that Robert Pattinson has also said that reading the book was like reading someone's sexual fantasies and that he was creeped out by a lot of the books. He purposely changed the way he played Edward in order to combat the way the book made him feel.

Edward is a sexually frustrated man that stalks a girl for 2 months before he can say hello to her. Bella is a needy mindless girl that is waiting for a man to tell her how to live her life. Jacob is a sad character because he ends up being a pedophile simply because Stephenie Meyer didn't see fit to allow him to just be Bella's friend and connection to Bella's old life.

The whole Cullen family is Stephenie writing about how Morman families live and how they don't drink or have a bad day because Jesus or Carlisle is showing then the the real way a to live.

The books set woman's lib back ages and go against everything women have been teaching their daughters since we were given the right to vote. The whole point of these books are wait for a man to marry forget your future and have babies before you are too old.

Oh and no matter how much you screw up your life and make decisions based on a romantic need for fulfillment things will work out just fine and dandy no death, no consequences no dirt to clean up in the end. You just get a freak baby, a pedo best friend, a husband that is mentally abusive and father that is walked on in every turn of the road, oh and a mother that is to weak and stupid to even begin to understand your new world. Such a great story for our young women to be reading.

These books are crap and should be burned.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin wow how is it about Mormans?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?and it is telling u when u have true love u go with it

message 14: by Highd (new)

Highd Erin wrote: "wow how is it about Mormans?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?and it is telling u when u have true love u go with it"

The whole book series is Mormon propaganda, do some research on the book and it's author half her ideas come directly out of her church the whole imprinting nonsense the whole family playing baseball and not swearing or having any vices.

There are over 500,000 Google hits for Twilight and Mormonism for the love of god please learn to research about things and really understand what the heck you are reading.

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin o god ur kidding

message 16: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa | 52 comments Highd wrote: "Erin wrote: "wow how is it about Mormans?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?and it is telling u when u have true love u go with it"

The whole book series is Mormon propaganda, do some research on the book and it'..."

As long as people realize that Meyer is not any kind of spokeswoman for the Mormon church.
Yes, it does look like Meyer basically wrote her book based on her religious beliefs and comparisons can be made. They don't officially represent the church or it's beliefs. Stephenie Meyer seems to have a few screws loose (in my honest opinion). If people want to know anything about the Mormon church visit their official website. DON'T base anything about the church from Stephenie Meyers crappy books.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin i know there r a lot of difference between Mormon ppl and ppl in this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 18: by Giggles (new)

Giggles lol

message 19: by Highd (new)

Highd You don't have to be a spokesman for the church to fill your book with propaganda and use it as a way to brainwash hapless kids into believing the books are how to live your life.

BTW it's hard not to see Meyers as a spokesperson really she isn't shy about how much of her life and beliefs when into these books, she went to BYU, her and her husband did the same things Bella and Edward did by just touching and kissing until they were married. The lines aren't just blurred with her they are crossed and recrossed over and over again. So I see that you need to post a disclaimer or whatever but lets not kid ourselves here.

message 20: by Jenads85 (last edited Jun 04, 2009 08:21AM) (new)

Jenads85 | 52 comments I don't know that Meyers was specifically trying to brainwash kids in the name of the LDS church. I think any similarities found between the books and Meyers' life or beliefs are there because that's her idea of a perfect existence. Like the ancient Egyptians, she must believe that the written word is powerful enough to bring what is written into existence...I'm just kidding about that, but who knows. I don't believe she's stupid. She understands the dreams and romantic fantasies that young, naive girls are prone to before they really begin to understand real love. Now she's successfully marketed that romance, and she has more money than she knows what to do with. However, when literary scholars a hundred or more years from now look back on the brilliant, groundbreaking authors of the 20th and 21st centuries and their works Meyers will not be among them. Twilight, unlike its main character, will not survive the centuries.

message 21: by Giggles (new)

Giggles i hope it doesnt i dont see whats so great about it and what other people see in it

message 22: by Rotkiv (new)

Rotkiv | 25 comments i dislike this book

message 23: by Rotkiv (new)

Rotkiv | 25 comments im sorry to sound un intellectual but edward sucks

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin what did he do?

message 25: by Giggles (new)

Giggles Rotkiv wrote: "im sorry to sound un intellectual but edward sucks"

agreed

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin reall y what did he do to u

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

i cant stand twilight
end of story.

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin ok then

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

nice to know, isnt it?

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin yeah i guess i still love it

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

true...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

point... i might b a klutz, but bella is the last person on earth that im like... i can even realte to my lil bro better!

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin Saved By Grace wrote: "Also, though ... I have to remind everyone; Edward isn't real. :D
So-not sure if you meant what did tmedwardwhatever do to us or what did Edward do to us, Erin.
But if you meant Edward, he isn't r..."

duh edward isn't real did u think me meant he real he isn't real me know that

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim Carrow | 111 comments me also thinks is weird, but fun. can me join?

message 35: by Jenads85 (new)

Jenads85 | 52 comments Ahhh...it's a game...I was getting annoyed with it, but now that I know it's a game it's not so annoying

message 36: by Jenads85 (new)

Jenads85 | 52 comments Well...it kind of is, but good luck to all the players anyway :)

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim Carrow | 111 comments Me hopes me can do this.

message 38: by Ry (new)

Ry Anderson (themostbeautifulbitterfruit) Ok, 1st of all: Nice book review.
2nd of all: Wrong place to put it.
Did you not get the feeling that we don't want a book review of the book we don't like?? I have to give you credit for the nicely-written review, but stupidity is what your mainly showing.

message 39: by Sarah (last edited Aug 23, 2009 10:57PM) (new)

Sarah (sbschultz) "A good reader must have an imagination and undewrstands the author'a point."

I would have to agree with this point. Both those attributes are part of being a good reader. However, I am finding neither of them to be particularly helpful when reading Twilight. I love fantasy novels in general, but all the imagination in the world does not make this book more believable. The dialogue is still flat and lame, sounding like the script for a cheap commercial. I understand the points Stephenie was making, but I don't appreciate the way she beats you over the head with them (I get it, Bella's clumsy and Edward's dangerous, can we move on with some PLOT please?).

Not to mention the rest of her writing is lacking in, well, any characteristics that would classify it as good writing. Not only is Stephenie's writing atrocious, she must have been lacking an attentive editor who actually gave a crap. Otherwise, how would sentences like: "I quickly rubbed my hand across my cheek, and sure enough, traitor tears were there, betraying me" (page 190) or "It was unusually foggy; the air was almost smoky with it" (page 197) ever see publication? Stephenie lacks skill in sentence structure, comma placement, making metaphors or similes, using appropriate adjectives or adverbs, and the list goes on forever.

I refuse to believe she ever passed a single literature class with more than a C.

message 40: by Nicole (last edited Aug 30, 2009 06:48PM) (new)

Nicole (nicapineda) Excuse me Tmedward01, but let me be frank about this.

What you did is not literary criticism. It is a personal view. One may like the story, but it doesn't mean it is a literary masterpiece. I should know, I am in a writing guild and critiquing is second nature.

These are my points.

1. In critiquing, there must be organic unity. All parts must be necessary; it should bring the plot to fruition. It took Twilight hundreds of pages oozing with purple prose (look it up) before a pathetic plot actually crawled in existence.

2. Relating the reader to the characters is a fallacy. If I relate myself to an autistic child, would that make the story better? No. Therefore, around 3/4 of your whole argument falls. Just because so many juvenile females relate to Bella does not make the story wonderful.

3. You mentioned nothing of her writing. It is completely shitty. (Pardon the conservatives here). Her metaphors have been rubbed raw from overuse, the perpetual descriptions of Edward Cullen brings purple prose to a different level, and her thesaurus abuse is unbelievable. Not to mention, her choice of words are pathetic. "Paroxysm of giggles" (Eclipse I believe) is an example.

4. I've said this once, and I'll say it again. Just because a lot of people like it doesn't mean it's good. Just because there are drug addicts out there, does not mean illegal drugs is good. Just because there are hordes of hormonal teenagers out there lusting for some sparkly, manic-depressive, bipolar vampire does not make Twilight a decent piece of literature. Only a decent piece of shit.

Anything else you'd like to point out, I'd be happy to hear it.

message 41: by Shakhi (new)

Shakhi (duude) | 75 comments I believe Kit wins (:
She has some pretty awesome points...

message 42: by Simona-- (new)

Simona-- I'm kind of intense  (completelyinsane) | 806 comments Don't you just want to write "Wash Me" On every pic of him you see?

That is why I LOVE this group. Well, the internet in general.

message 43: by Twilightlovah (new)

Twilightlovah Twilight= awesome. You all suck

message 44: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicapineda) Twilightlovah. This. Is. A. Twilight. Hater. Group. What on earth did you expect us to say? I agree with Chandloski at your immaturity. You come here, post a trollish comment to make yourself feel better. Excuse me, but please don't waste commenting space. Someone with something better to say could've used it.

message 45: by Killer Queen (new)

Killer Queen (evilbutterflies) she's back???? O.O

message 46: by Killer Queen (new)

Killer Queen (evilbutterflies) Twilightlovah

message 47: by Simona-- (new)

Simona-- I'm kind of intense  (completelyinsane) | 806 comments Amphitrite wrote: "Sisi wrote: "Don't you just want to write "Wash Me" On every pic of him you see?

That is why I LOVE this group. Well, the internet in general."

More like mug shot/ "This is why you don't do ..."

LOL!

message 48: by Madeline (new)

Madeline (madelinemoghimi) me thinks i can

message 49: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy "Bella is an ordinary girl that everyone can relate to. She thinks herself as imperfect and ungraceful, but she is more than that and appears lovely to everyone she meets. We are all like her. We aren't aware of our beauty."

ummm what?, yes i know this is really late but i just had to say something about this.

i am going to respond to every sentence here.

no, i can't relate to her. you make her sound like a person with no self esteem, that's sad. i am not like her, you lier. oh, i am definitely aware of my beauty, i am a conceited mess! :P i love my looks and my body and if people tell me I'm ugly i probably have a smart-alec comment to say back.

Olivia ^^The Awesome Mushroom^^ (canttaketheawesomeness) | 756 comments kimathy wrote: ""Bella is an ordinary girl that everyone can relate to. She thinks herself as imperfect and ungraceful, but she is more than that and appears lovely to everyone she meets. We are all like her. We a..."

Yes, because ORDINARY girls are always chased by vampires and werewolves and charm boys by falling over ourselves and tripping and getting into danger.

NOT aware of our beauty? What a lie that is! Do you KNOW how many conceited people there are in this world? (Class A: Kimathy and I. ;D) Heck, everyone is! So don't tell everybody that we should all be clumsy to get guys and have low self-esteem to get stalker boys.

Thank you.

« previous 1