A New Earth discussion

1 view
Chapter Four: Share Your "Aha" Moments

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KareyLyn (last edited Feb 24, 2008 06:03PM) (new)

KareyLyn (KareyShane) To get us started on the Chapter Four discussion, here are the chapter headings in case you need a reminder (*:*).

Villain Victim Lover, Letting Go of Self-Definitions, Pre-estabished Roles, Temporary Roles, The Monk with Sweaty Palms, Happines as a Role Vs. True Happiness, Parenthood: Role or Function?, Conscious Suffering, Conscious Parenting, Recognizing Your Child, Giving Up Role-playing, The Pathological Ego, The Background of Unhappiness, The Secret of Happiness, Pathological Forms of Ego, Work--With and Without Ego, The Ego in Illness, The Collective Ego, Incontrovertible Proof of Immortality.

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) I'm only about 10 pages into this chapter but 2 things have stuck out in what I have read so far.

On page 87 (Villan, Victim, Lover) it mentions that a child's bad behavior is because they want attention. There is a type of parenting called Love & Logic that says when a child misbehaves or is whining to not become emotionally involved in the situation. For example, my SS one time yelled at me that he didn't want tomatoes in his salad. Instead of reacting to his yelling, I calmly stated "I do not respond to those that yell at me". So I acknowledged his outburst but did not feed into it or give him more attention than necessary at that moment.

The other part I like so far is on page 96, the last paragraph. It says to not seek happiness, that if you seek it you won't find it because seeking happiness is the anitheses of happiness. That happiness is elusive but freedom from unhappiness is attainable. Well being and inner peace are the sources of true happiness

message 3: by Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (last edited Feb 26, 2008 11:30AM) (new)

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) ok, I finished this chapter and a few additional things that caught my attention!

pg 120 - Violence is a primitve but still very widespread way in which the ego attempts to assert itself, to prove itself right and another wrong.

I would have to agree with this, it seems like this has become a larger problem or that is all we hear about in the media.

pg 127 - Every ego is therfore schizophrenic, to use the word in its popular meaning of split personality

Hey, now I can say I'm schizophrenic! LOL actually this whold chapter was good (Incontrovertible Proof of Immortality).

pg 128 I like this So there is no such thing as "my life", and I don't have a life. I AM life. I and life are one.