Read a book from each country discussion

Africa > Nigeria

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jes3ica) | 18 comments Mod
Things Fall Apart | Chinua Achebe

I haven't read it for several years, but remember it being incredible.

message 2: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 7 comments Mod
I absolutely love this book. A classic in all of the best meanings of that overworked word.

message 3: by Maura (new)

Maura | 7 comments any more nigeria suggestions?

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments "GraceLand" by Chris Abani. I loved this book. Here's a blurb from Publisher's Weekly: "Abani's debut novel offers a searing chronicle of a young man's coming of age in Nigeria during the late 1970s and early 1980s. The vulnerable, wide-eyed protagonist is Elvis Oke, a young Nigerian with a penchant for dancing and impersonating the American rock-and-roll singer he is named after. The story alternates between Elvis's early years in the 1970s, when his mother dies of cancer and leaves him with a disapproving father, and his life as a teenager in the Lago ghetto, a place one character calls 'a pus-ridden eyesore on de face of de nation's capital.'"

message 6: by Dream (new)

Dream | 30 comments No Longer at Ease is Achebe's follow-up to Things Fall Apart.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments Efuru by Flora Nwapa. The first published book written by a Nigerian woman.

message 10: by Dream (new)

Dream | 30 comments No Longer at Ease is probably my favorite Achebe. Buchi Emecheta's Kehinde is also a good one.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie