What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > About A Chinese Girl...Was Featured on Rosie (don't kill me)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2 comments Yes it was a Rosie pick, but I liked it a lot.

It was about a Chinese girl whose mother is killed in front of her by her grandfather and uncle for having her out of wedlock. The book then moves through her life as she is adopted by missionaries and moves to the U.S., gets married, etc...

message 2: by bup (new)

bup | 84 comments Here's Rosie's book pick list:

http://www.rosie.com/picks/books#1009

I don't see anything that sounds like it.

message 3: by julie (new)

julie (maguire708) | 8 comments "Ten Thousand Sorrows: The Extraordinary Journey of a Korean War Orphan" by Elizabeth Kim sounds sort of like it, but it's not on Rosie's book list... Don't apologize for liking the book or for liking Rosie!

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2 comments I've checked out the Rosie list before and couldn't find it, but I know that is where I heard about it. She showed the book and spoke about it, and I could've sworn she said it was part of her reading club.

Hmmmm I wonder if Ten Thousand Sorrows is the book. Sucks that it isn't ringing a bell. I went to Amazon and read the write up but it still doesn't sound like the correct one. I don't apologize for liking the book, Rosie...well I like her most of the time but sometimes I think she should think a bit before it all comes flying out. I just didn't want to be massacred for mentioning her name as a source, you know how some people can be. Thanks for the help both of you!

message 5: by julie (new)

julie (maguire708) | 8 comments The bit about the grandfather and uncle murdering the mother was in the write up I read about the book... "When the girl is about 4 -- she will never know the exact year and day of her unrecorded birth -- her grandfather and her uncle demand she be sold as a servant. When her mother refuses, the men string the woman up in her own house. Kim, a witness to this "honor killing," still sees "those milk-white feet" twitch, as if in a dance, then grow still."

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36916 comments Mod
Jenn, was Ten Thousand Sorrows : The Extraordinary Journey of a Korean War Orphan your book? If so we can moved this from Possibly Solved to Solved.