Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Author bios ripped from Wikipedia

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (new)

Kara Babcock (tachyondecay) | 62 comments I noticed that the bio for Anne Perry was taken straight from Wikipedia. According to the edit log, Jimbo (not to be confused with that Jimbo) is the librarian responsible, and he's updated numerous other author profiles with bios from Wikipedia.

Obviously this is just a case of trying to improve authors' profiles. Unfortunately, since Wikipedia is licensed under the GFDL, any subsequent reproduction of a Wikipedia article must also be licensed under the GFDL. In some cases the amount of the article copied might possibly fall under fair use. With some authors, like Anne Perry, pretty much the entire article's been copied.

If I have time later, I'll go through the profiles and see if I can make the bios more concise (a quality that Wikipedia articles, quite rightly, are not), but I wanted to draw attention to this.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Ben, Perhaps the librarian who did these edits should be sent a message so that they don't continue to do these exact types of updates.