What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Epic Fantasy Trilogy with a young Gay protaganist

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 7 comments I read a fantasy trilogy last century in the '80s or early '90s which I have been trying to rediscover. I only have mind images of the books and not a lot of detail. I think it was a trilogy.

It was typical good vs evil epic fantasy. The protagonist, 'King', was an Alexander the Great like teen who was charming, beautiful and Gay. It is not a Gay fantasy, but a 'he happened to be gay' as were some of his men, and presented as no big thing any more that his having blonde or brown hair would have been a 'big thing'.

I do not remember plot details, just a vague memory of his army advancing from the north to defeat some evil in the south. I think he had some fantasy powers beyond his charm.

I know this is not much to go by, but I thought I'd give it a try. Perhaps it will tickle someone's memory.

Thanks in advance,

Kernos

message 2: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments I don't think you're looking for something by Tanya Huff, but if you like that treatment of bi/homosexuality (in which it is treated as just another fact about a person) you might try her fantasy novels.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 7 comments Tanya Huff is possible. I Have read her in the distant past. But, checking on wikipedia, though most of her protagonists are female and I definitely remember a male protagonist. The The Fire's Stone is possible, so I will check it out.

Thanks

message 4: by Mir (last edited Jul 10, 2014 02:40PM) (new)

Mir | 714 comments She has a few male protagonists, but I can't think of any emperor-like characters, except the bad guy in Smoke and Shadows. That's actually set in present-day Canada, but has wizards from an alternate dimension. The bit of plot you described sounds kind of like the backstory the older wizard tells Tony about her world and the evil wizard who conquered them. Likewise, I would have suggested Mercedes Lackey's Magic's Pawn trilogy, except that again it would be villain who matches your description (although the protagonist is also young and gay).

You might also look at Richard Pinto or Lynn Flewelling, if you haven't already -- I haven't read them myself but I know they both have gay characters that are involved in epic political events.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 7 comments Lackey I know very well, a favorite as is Pinto. I am still waiting for vol 3 of Stone Dance... publication has been delayed in the US till next month. I should have bought a UK copy.

I dont know Flewelling all that well. Good suggestion to check out.

Thanks again

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Kernos, Please let us know if/when you've found it. Thanks!

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 7 comments Will do. The fun part will be reading new novels which is NOT it ;-). I am also checking out Diane Duane.

Bill

message 8: by Sarah (last edited May 28, 2009 04:17PM) (new)

Sarah (sarahmicheal) | 2 comments Sounds like the "Nightrunner" books by Lynn Flewelling. Here's the first one:

Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, Vol. 1) by Lynn Flewelling Luck in the Shadows published 1996

ETA: oops, I see the author was already suggested :P

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 67 comments I think this might be The Last Herald-Mage Series by Mercedes Lackey:

Magic's Pawn (" an ancient age in the history of Valdemar comes to life--an age when the kingdom was ravaged by the ungoverned fury of bandit warlords, ferocious ice dragons, and the wild magic of wizards").

Magic's Promise ("wild magic is taking its toll on the land, and even Vanyel, the most powerful Herald-Mage to ever walk the world, is almost at the end of his strength. But when his Companion, Yfandes, receives a call for help from neighboring Lineas, both Herald-Mage and Companion are drawn into a holocaust of dark magic that could be the end of them both.").

Magic's Price ("Herald-Mage, Vanyel, and his Companion, Yfandes, are alone responsible for saving the once-peaceful kingdom of Valdemar from the forces of a master who wields a dark, forbidding magic. And if either Vanyel or Yfandes falters, both Valdemar and its Herald-Mage must pay the ultimate price.")

In the first book of the series, young, spoiled Vanyel's attitude and life begin to change when he falls in love with Mage Tylendel

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 7 comments No it is not that, one of my favorite Fantasy trilogies. I have read it a number of times and still cry when Tylendel perishes.

The Nightrunner's are too new as I think I read this in the '80s or early '90s/ I have been thru many of the Gay SFF sites, but nothing looks obvious.

I am starting to wonder if this is one of my heroic dreams :-)

message 11: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments If we can't find it you may have to write it yourself!

BTW, I sobbed over that scene as well. Also the following chapter where Vanyel tries to kill himself next to Tylendel's body as it is laid out for the funeral.

Debbie Hates the New Book Page Redesign (silentrequiem) | 90 comments Going through the old unsolved messages and came across this one. I'll throw out the Branion Series by Fiona Patton. The first one is
The Stone Prince.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40196 comments Mod
Kernos, was it anything in msg 13? And are you still looking for this?

message 14: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Aug 29, 2013 04:42AM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments I seem to remember Marion Zimmer Bradley had some lgbt people in her books For example:

Hawkmistress!

Not the heroine but some supporting characters.

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Sent off a PM. OP is still active, so hopefully we'll hear back soon. If no response, then this can be moved down to Abandoned.

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 7 comments Thanks Kagama and Ann. MZB is possible, though I'm sure it wasn't a Darkover novel. I'm now going through her other series & books from the period to see if anything sounds familiar. I think her best GLBT book, non-SFF, is Catch Trap from the '70s.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Kernos, have you found this yet?

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response. Moving to Abandoned.