Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > A fourth status

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Pearson (susanpearson) I apologise if this has been debated before, I am a new librarian and relatively new to GoodReads.

As I am busy putting my whole library into the database I am increasingly getting vexed with reference books as they are on my shelf in case I need them, I neither have nor will be reading them in the same way I will read a novel cover to cover.

For now I am having to put them as read so that they don't get onto my waiting to read list however I feel that it is not a true record of what I have read either for the purpose of monitoring my reading habits.

Could we not have: read, currently-reading, to-read and reference?

What do people think? I'm sure I can't be the only person thinking this.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) | 48 comments You should post this on the feedback group.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments The feedback group is the proper place, but we might as well point out that you can already do this. You can designate any of your shelves as exclusive, meaning that it ends up taking the same status as the three automatic ones.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments What Michael says has been the decision thus far. Simply create a reference shelf and make it exclusive. You will then have 4 exclusive shelves and not 3. This works better than making reference exclusive for everyone. Members have different needs re their exclusive shelves. For instance, I've read cover to cover most of the books on my reference shelf so I have not made it an exclusive shelf.

And yes, this is a question for the Goodreads Feedback group, but hopefully you've gotten the information you needed.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Pearson (susanpearson) Thank you Michael and Lisa, I've now made the shelf exclusive.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Susan, Enjoy! Goodreads provides so much flexibility for however members want to use the site.

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) | 48 comments So true!