Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Top reviews question

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant | 458 comments Surely this must have been suggested before but how about a top reviews list under the "Explore" function - the list would just have to add up the "XX people liked it" thing and show a top 100. There may have to be something built in to detect suspicious voting patterns however. (Can you vote for your own review? Can't believe Goodreaders would stoop to such scurrility.)

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Right now, I think top is by the number of reviews, not by votes at all. Since most reviews are not seen (or able to be voted on) by most Goodreads users, that makes sense to me.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant | 458 comments That's a list of top reviewers, rather than top reviews. With respect, the reviewers in that list might have posted 50 one line reviews in a week and they'd be in the top ten. What I'm thinking is this - there are probably a lot of great, funny, erudite reviews that we'd all like to read but unless we stumble on them or one of our Goodread friends writes one, we don't see them. So I was thinking that if a particular review has been flagged with "10 people liked it" or some such number, we'd like to read it too.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Paul, Yes, that's actually a good idea. Would be an interesting additional feature!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 31 comments I have asked for this before! It seems like such a good use of the "Liked this review" feature. I have been pretty disappointed by the "top reviewers" list, because it's based on quantity, not quality. In my trollings I've happened upon many profiles for people who've reviewed a fairly small number of books -- but man! What reviews! Those are the people I want to find more easily. There should definitely be an "explore" function that helps you get to that good stuff. I love seeing which reviews my friends liked, and anything that expands on this and encourages people to up the ante on their reviews seems like an excellent idea to me....!

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (Kiwiria) | 377 comments I'd love that feature!! I always enjoy reading and writing reviews, but "I liked it" doesn't really tell me much, so having top be by number of votes rather than quantity would be absolutely great!

message 7: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
It's funny, I was discussing the 'top reviews' idea with a friend at lunch just today. Coming soon!

As for quantity vs quality of 'top reviewers', I somewhat agree. Just a brainstorm though: what if we sorted the top reviewers by how long their reviews were and how many votes they got? Similar to how we pick the reviews on each book's page?

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant | 458 comments Yes, that would be good. Although that does tend to favour the verbose (me).

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Feb 08, 2008 06:24AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Yes, and some of the best reviews I've seen at Goodreads are pithy and not long. But, I know Goodreads has to highlight "popular reivews" somehow.