The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Backpacking in Europe...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 16 comments Use your imagination! What do you think some things Rory and Lorelai did during their backpacking trip in Europe after Rory's HS graduation! Be creative! Think about anything that couldve happened!

message 2: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments It's not imaginary but I loved the fact that they talked about coming to Dublin and hanging out in the Clarence trying to see Bono!Because so many American tourists do just that! I jsut thought it was sweet and realistic plus who doesn't love seeing their town namechecked by the gals?

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments I bet somewhere in France Lorelai spoke to some poor soul in here terrible fake french accent.

I would also bet that there was some unknown hookup. Most trips to Europe tend to have some degree of that.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Feb 04, 2008 03:08PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, but with your mother/daughter in tow? I don't think I'd have a random anonymous hook up if I was with my mom, or if I was a mom and accompanied by my teenaged daughter. Though I understand that's pretty much all that goes on in youth hostels.

message 5: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I feel like a loser, because I never hooked up in a youth hostel :'(

I'll bet they did do a lot of trying different languages with the locals, trying new foods and stuff. Hmmm...french fries in France?

message 6: by Dottie (last edited Feb 04, 2008 05:36PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments French fries in FRANCE? Horrors! No, no, no, ...fries are not French; they are Belgian -- they are frittes.

Okay -- just ribbing you -- but I'm serious, too, the Belgians claim fries -- and say American servicemen were just confused as to the French origin -- being in the French speaking sector of Belgium when they encountered frittes which they called fries.

Trivia free of charge.

message 7: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments There's me being silly again. I knew they weren't French. Interesting tidbit about Belgians--unfortunately, it probably won't win me any trivial pursuit points.

Hmmm...maybe they would try out McDonald's in different countries?

So, I've only watched season 1. Do you think they're more Europe on a Shoestring, Let's Go! Europe or Europe Through the Back Door people?

message 8: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Heh, Robbie -- isn't Rick Steve's Guide to Europe on Rory's list? If so -- that may tell us the answer to your question.

I think they would only find a way to use McD's restrooms and eat street vendor food -- stopping at the frittes window ona skinny little cobblestone street, for example. Seriously -- while it is fun to eat a fancy meal on occasion -- there is so much choice of quick and easy and inexpensive eating all over Europe that it seems they'd do that.

I'm thinking what else I would "see" them doing -- nothing yet.

message 9: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I think Rory would want to go to the Anne Frank house. I don't know why, but it just struck me. And, well, the Lorelai would have to see at least a little of the "naughty" section of Amersterdam for her jokes.

The Eiffel Tower I should think. And I think Robbie was right... Lorelai would HAVE to have French fries in France and make a big scene about finding it to embarrass Rory as she so loves to do.

I imagine them finding a rave in the middle of nowhere in a boarded up house in the old East Berlin like I did... with the bonfire barbecue in the backyard and everything... and the music being all funky 80's music like Thriller and such. Seriously, it was one cool night and I could TOTALLY see both of them there.

I think they'd do some ridiculous stein of beer in Munich, and Lorelai would sing and sway and try to get everyone involved.

I think she'd be offended if she didn't get her bottom pinched in Italy. After a while, I think she'd confront random Italian guys about it and try to speak Englian - English with lots of "o's" on the end and Italian inflections.

I DON'T think they would hook up. It was really, really clear that this was THEIR time. Together. Plus that's completely not Rory's style.

As for that being pretty much all that goes on in Youth Hostels, girl who are YOU hanging out with??? Hee! I think they are a great, affordable, and really fun way to travel. I've made some fantastic friends and had memorable experiences at them. I even travel that way in the states a lot.

Ooooo! I just remembered... I guess I once did have a "hook up." Except, he worked there and we connected at a pub. Plus, he eventually became the first guy to tell me he loved me (in a serious way) and we dated for a while, so I don't know if that'd be considered a "hook up."

Anyway, I like thinking of all these possibilities of what they might do!

message 10: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Ok I'm laughing really hard here thinking about someone hooking up while around their mother or daughter. Whoa that just ain't right - probably years of therapy would be needed by all parties.

Seeing Rory and Lorelai on their European trip would have been great and you all are making me jealous about your European trips.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, let me clarify that I have never been in a youth hostel and am only going by what my friends tell me... a handful of friends who backpacked in Europe (separately) and every one of them hooked up with someone. And these are not even people who are the random-hook-up type. But something came over then in Europe! Heh