The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Newbie :-)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 117 comments -shy smile-

Hi, I'm Andreea.
I joined goodreads some while ago, but got bored of it shortly after because I didn't really know what to do on it. Now that the summer holiday is two weeks away, I'm reviving it to give me something to do on long hot summer days.

I'm 17 and I'll be a senior next year. I want to do comparative literature at university thus I'm keen on reading -obviously- and learning new languages. I love magic realism books with a burning passion, but historical fiction's another vice.

That's about it, I guess. Being new is a little scary. :)

message 2: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Andreea, Welcome!

Don't be scared, we don't bite! (not very hard, anyway! LOL)

Just kidding, of course. I like historical fiction too. What's your favorite? I haven't read one in a long time, but I think it's about time I did.

message 3: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 117 comments Hayes wrote: "Hi Andreea, Welcome!

Don't be scared, we don't bite! (not very hard, anyway! LOL)

Just kidding, of course. I like historical fiction too. What's your favorite? I haven't read one in a long time,..."
I'm really glad to know that you don't bite. :)

I've just finished "The Enchantress of Florence" by Rushdie and loved it. And I also adored Umberto Eco's "Baudolino" and Orhan Pamuk's "My Name is Red".

message 4: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Haven't read any of those... just what my TBR needs, more books!! Thanks for the suggestions.

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10124 comments Mod
Andreea, welcome, and dont be afraid! We are a great group and love meeting newbies!

Comparative lit, huh? Can you read multiple languages?

message 7: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Welcome Andreea, we may sound like fanatics at times but there is nothing to be afraid of. We're perfectly harmless creatures. :)

message 8: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 117 comments Lori wrote: "Comparative lit, huh? Can you read multiple languages?"
Well, I'm still learning.
I'm Romanian and fluent in English, I'm also pretty good at French, just not confident enough to talk it too much. I can read in Italian and Spanish with a little aid and I took a course in Latin, but my knowledge is just at a basics level.

message 9: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Wow... I'm impressed!

message 11: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10124 comments Mod
WOW!!!
That is amazing.
I keep thinking I should go back to school as an English Major. I would love to read and critique and teach a classics course, or an irish lit course...!!

message 12: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Andreea,

Welcome to the group!!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Andreea. WElcome to our group!