Gods Behaving Badly Gods Behaving Badly discussion

Sounds just like American Gods

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny This sounds so similar to Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". Has anyone read both stories?

Caroline I'm about 100 pages in and while it's similar to American Gods, it's definitely not the same book all over again. This is more of a light-hearted comedy, whereas American Gods dealt with a lot of heavy-handed ideas and the gods were all quite serious about themselves. The gods in here are all caricatures of the Greek myths--really exaggerated and hilarious. Gods Behaving Badly is very "fluffy" and a lot less literary than American Gods, but it's so far been pretty fun.

message 3: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny thanks for the update - Glad to know it's not a "knock-off" - I'll have to pick this one up :)

Casi Graddy-Gamel I've read them both as well. This one is very much pomo mythology as written by a chick lit writer, whereas "American Gods" is serious delving into pomo myth. Basically, this was cute.. very cute, but not terribly substantive or exciting.

Susabelle Kelmer Penny wrote: "This sounds so similar to Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". Has anyone read both stories? "

Have read both. Neil Gaiman has no comparison, EVER. Gods Behaving Badly was cute and sweet but unsubstantive. Getting ready to write a review now.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I tried this book but couldn't get beyond about 50 pages in. The idea is excellent but one-note and I felt the writing simply wasn't good enough to back up the book's premise. More than once the dreaded phrase 'chick lit' floated about in my mind, just dressed up as a more contemporary comedic novel. Still, it remains on my 'persevere' pile so maybe I'll get back to it.

Susabelle Kelmer It's a quick read, but I found that I didn't like any of the characters, except for the lame love story sub-plot between Alice and Neil. Not impressed.

Miriam I agree that Gods Behaving Badly is much fluffier than American Gods. It is almost a farce! Also, it is just the Greek gods and their powers are far more limited than in American gods. Very little of the supernatural-bleeding-into-the-quotidian that Gaiman does so well.

Emily I've read both, and thought that this was a quick, fun light read. AG is not quite as light. I thought both were good.

Emily Iliani Susabelle wrote: "It's a quick read, but I found that I didn't like any of the characters, except for the lame love story sub-plot between Alice and Neil. Not impressed.

"

Concur! I think I might pick up Neil G's just to wash off the bad taste from this book.

Rachel I've read both and this is nothing like American Gods. AG has more depth. This is just a fun read. I also recommend Fated if you liked this book. Same kind of concept but uses different ways to express that concept. I thought Fated was funnier than this book.

message 12: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara They start with a somewhat similar idea but go off in VERY different directions, as many here have said. This book is definitely more light-hearted and, to my mind, not as well-written as Gaiman's. I agree with other perspectives on the fact that this is a very poor substitute overall for reading Gaiman's book. This one falls firmly in the category of "Eh. It's not bad."