Smashwords Authors discussion

Marketing > Amazon Matchbook

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ubiquitous (last edited Sep 03, 2013 11:14AM) (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments I just received a promotional email from the land of Mordor. Starting in October, Amazon is starting a promotion/bundle/world-domination-plan called Matchbook. The idea is that buyers can purchase a print book and get the matching ebook at a discounted price (between free and $2.99). The publisher sets the price of the ebook with a maximum of $2.99.

What do you think? Will you do it? If so, how low will you discount your ebook?

message 2: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments I was going to start a thread about this tomorrow. I was too lazy to do it today. I'll have to read more about it to know if I'll do it. There's bound to be some catch. Just like the exclusivity of Select.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments No, there's not - well, the only catch is you have to do the POD with CreateSpace. I have only one title like that, so I checked the box. If you buy the e-book (normally at 9.99$) with the POD (19.99$), you get it for 2.99$.
Star Minds by Barbara G.Tarn
I have this "bundle" thing on DriveThru where I sell my graphic novel as either PDF or POD (with Lightning Source) or POD+PDF bundle (the PDF being discounted).
So I'll have to do new CreateSpace editions for my books and then I can do this bundle thing. Hasn't worked on DriveThru, but apparently on Amazon people like to buy bundles (ex: CD+MP3 version or DVD+downloadable thingy), so it might work and sell more PODs along with e-books... :)

message 4: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments So there is a catch. I still have one book with Createspace for now though, so I might try it.

message 5: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Borders | 22 comments CreateSpace isn't required, they just take the opportunity to promote it in their explanation. I have no books through CreateSpace and all of my ebooks are eligible for inclusion. The question I have is if by enrolling my ebooks in this program, my royalty rate will drop to 35%. Due to their rule that the promotional price must be half the regular price, or free, my books will have to be priced at the 35% range. That's okay for those sales, but they do not say if sales at the regular price will then be paid the 35% royalty. The example they give isn't clear on this.

message 6: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments I used CS for my POD version, so I can use this for my book. Since I can back out of this deal later, I've gone ahead with Matchbook for now. I'm not expecting anything, but you never know what's going to catch someone's eye.

message 7: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments I saw that, Bruce. When you select your discount price, Amazon tells you what your royalty amount will be. If I set my discount down to $1.99, my royalty is $1.39 (70%).

Obviously, other markets may pay only 35% normally, so plan accordingly.

message 8: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Borders | 22 comments Thanks for the info Ubiquitous! Think I'll enroll my books. Like you said earlier, I can always take them back out if things don't turn out to be as advertised!

message 9: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments I'll probably try it with at least one book. But people still have to come across the book in order to take advantage of it. Plus, if they see my paperback for £7.99 (or £9.80 for the shorter Createspace one) and the Kindle edition for £2.49, few people will go for the paperback (unless they have no Kindle of course). Fewer still will spend that £7.99/£9.80 and then spend £1.24 or whatever on top of that, for the exact same book.

...but you never know :)

message 10: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments I agree, Ross. 70% of 0 is... Hang on, I need my calculator.

While I don't expect any sales due to this promo, if Amazon promotes Matchbook, a little of that light could accidentally spill out onto my book.

Hey, it's not like it costs me anything to try.

message 11: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Ubiquitous wrote: "I agree, Ross. 70% of 0 is... Hang on, I need my calculator.

While I don't expect any sales due to this promo, if Amazon promotes Matchbook, a little of that light could accidentally spill out o..."

Yes, you're not going to be selling the ebook for less unless they're buying the more expensive paperback at the same time.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Bruce A. wrote: "CreateSpace isn't required, they just take the opportunity to promote it in their explanation. I have no books through CreateSpace and all of my ebooks are eligible for inclusion. The question I ha..."

You still have a POD version available on Amazon to do the bundle. My Lulu PODs don't appear on Amazon anymore since they have no ISBNs. Glad I paid the Lulu expanded distribution only on the first 3 titles, since they've now vanished from Amazon anyway...

message 13: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Barbara wrote: "Bruce A. wrote: "CreateSpace isn't required, they just take the opportunity to promote it in their explanation. I have no books through CreateSpace and all of my ebooks are eligible for inclusion. ..."

I think Lulu are a waste of money. I'm glad I didn't pay for expanded distribution. Lightning Source books will be on Amazon though.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Still, there needs to be a POD version and you need to ask the guys at Author Central to combine them! ;) I know the little box is present in all titles, but if there's no POD tied to the Kindle book, no matchbook either... :)

message 15: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Barbara wrote: "Bruce A. wrote: "CreateSpace isn't required, they just take the opportunity to promote it in their explanation. I have no books through CreateSpace and all of my ebooks are eligible for inclusion. ..."

Can you not just get the free lulu ISBN...?
Or discount it at Lulu and upload to CS to get it on Zon.

message 16: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I sell next to no paperbacks anyway so I am not sure of the point. Is the discount ONLY when they buy the paperback as well? So if they buy the e-book normally it is at the regular price?

I am still thinking on this one. I would need to lower to 2.99? I am so confused:(

message 17: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments If someone buys the eBook, they pay the normal price. If someone buys the paperback, they pay the normal paperback price. If they recently won the lottery, they can buy the paperback at the normal price AND buy the eBook at a discounted price.

The idea is that some readers prefer a physical book, but they sometimes enjoy the convenience of an eBook. No, really.

It may seem a little counter-intuitive, but some people just want to pay more. Granted, many of them have been featured on various Reality TV shows, but they still exist somewhere.

message 18: by L.L. (new)

L.L. Watkin (LLWatkin) | 62 comments I do get the idea of copying autorip for CDs or free e-copies with blu-rays, but the key is that these are free, not just discounted. I wouldn't pay twice.

message 19: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Lol.

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Alexandra wrote: "I sell next to no paperbacks anyway so I am not sure of the point. Is the discount ONLY when they buy the paperback as well? So if they buy the e-book normally it is at the regular price?

I am sti..."

yes, that's exactly how it works. If you buy ebook+POD you get a discount on the ebook.
I sell no POD copies either, so I don't know either what the fuss is about. Since I have ONE book on CS, I enrolled it. If I see it sells, I'll move the other PODs to CS. Lulu doesn't have free ISBNs, it's not Smashwords (and it even partners with #1 scammer Author Solutions now... so I really should drop them)! :)

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments L.L. wrote: "I do get the idea of copying autorip for CDs or free e-copies with blu-rays, but the key is that these are free, not just discounted. I wouldn't pay twice."

And you can give the e-book for free with the POD, if you want! ;) The options in the box are "free", 0.99, 1.99 and 2.99...

message 22: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I have a book on Lulu a while back and I think I had a free ISBN, it was a while ago though so sounds like things have changed. I might be mis-remembering.

message 23: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments I had a look at the FAQ for it, and there's definitely no mention of having to use Createspace. It just has to be sold through Amazon.