YA/NA FANATICS discussion

AUTHOR'S SPACE > Apart From Love

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Did you hear the great news? I am so excited to tell you: my novel, Apart From Love, is now in production, soon to become an audiobook! As you may already know, the novel is told in two voices, Ben's and Anita's, and the interplay between the two of them is the essence of the story. In the coming weeks I will tell you everything about the voice auditions, and about the two amazing narrators I have chosen. Today, I will start with a different aspect of the production: the cover art.

Of course, the image is the same as for the print edition--with one exception: the dimensions. The cover art for the audiobook must be square, which means that I spent my time extending the folds of the red fabric left and right of the image. So, it went from the rectangular image of the print edition to this:

So here you can see layers and layers of red, shimmering fabric, in which the main character finds herself tangled more and more, losing herself in a knot of passion. The ends of the strips of fabric are falling away from you, disappearing gradually into the mist of distance. The depth of the picture and its layering effect are both symbolic of the story: each on of the characters has a depth of memories going back to their childhood, and a rich layering of conflicting emotions, love-hate, guilt-blame.

Over this art I will float the text: the book title, author name, and the names of my two fabulous narrators. Stay tuned... Will show it to you soon...

message 2: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "The piano towered over everything. It seemed so massive, so out of place that you had to squeeze around it, or else crawl underneath the belly of the thing.
But when mom played it, all that did not matter. The walls vanished and so did the clutter, because it was so riveting to watch her. You could see her long, delicate fingers as they went flying over the keys, to the point of turning, magically, into a blur. Her hands became transparent, and her ring, I remember, turned into a glow. She was air, she was music! Even when she stopped playing, those strings inside were still reverberating..."

Ben in Apart From Love

Going back to his childhood memories, Ben unveils his unflinching admiration to the most important woman in his life, up to this point: his mother, the inspired and inspiring pianist. His admiration will later stand in the way of him accepting her present condition. But for now, it is focused on one aspect: her hands. Long, delicate fingers, a symbol of her talent, and the one physical aspect that serves as a contrast between her and Anita.

Click here to listen to Ben (narrated by my gifted narrator, David Kudler, for the audiobook) describing his mother's hands: She Was Air, She Was Music

message 3: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments I have just read a truly enlightening article written by David Kudler, the gifted narrator of my upcoming audiobook. In it, he draws parallels between two of his recent projects, especially the use of music in both of them. Here is how he opens it:

"I’ve just wrapped recording on my second full-length audiobook this month — David Wesley Williams lyrical novel of sex, family, and rock ‘n’ roll, Long Gone Daddies. As I was listening through just now, I realized that there were a lot of similarities between this bluesy book and my most recently completed (and soon-to-be-released) project, Uvi Poznansky’s Apart From Love. Both books dissect tangled, dysfunctional families featuring deeply fractured father-son relationships, each of which is hiding some very important secrets. And music is very much at the heart of each.

For an audiobook narrator/producer, music is both a joy and more than a bit of a challenge. Audiobooks — for the most part — are not meant to include music tracks (Audible and Amazon don’t like them), and so any music must be created purely by the narrator in the character’s voice. When a song is known, that can be great fun; when it’s created by the author, that’s fun too… but can sometimes take your breath away."

To read more, and to take a listen to Aunt Hadassa, click the link:

You Haven't Lived Until You Heard Her Singing

message 4: by Uvi (last edited Sep 04, 2013 03:09PM) (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Treat yourself to a gift: My ★★★★★ fabulous ebooks have been reduced to a third of the regular price--they are only $.99 each--only until the Grand Finale of the HOME event:
HOMETWISTEDA FAVORITE SONAPART FROM LOVE

message 5: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "For the longest time, my old man sits there, utterly motionless, in the midst of bells being shaken and bongos being beaten by unsteady hands. Only the top of his head, gripped tightly in his fingers, is visible to me between this sagged shoulder and that, in the back of the crowd.
And it is not until the end of the song—when everyone sitting in the divide between him and me has joined in an intoxicated, disorderly chorus, singing loudly, I've tried to explain, bei mir bist du schoen—that the next line makes his hands fall, suddenly, into his lap.

I've tried to explain, bei mir bist du schoen,
So kiss me, and say that you will understand.

It is at that phrase, and say that you will understand, that I see him wincing. Having sensed, somehow, the weight of my gaze, his jaw clenches. My father turns his head abruptly, to pull himself back from view—but not before I realize, to my complete shock, that he is awash in tears."

Ben in Apart From Love

★★★★★ bookreview:
"A feast for the armchair psychologist.
Reveals insights that can touch and frighten each of us"
Listen to voices of Anita and Ben:
★ Audiobook ★ Ebook ★ Print ★

message 6: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments ★★★★★ A Philosophical View of Love, Life and Family, August 27, 2013
By 
Warrior Princess (Karmoy, Norway)

Amazon Verified Purchase

A famous poet, translator, and philosopher Samuil Marshak once said that frequent use of highly emotional words robs them of their meaning, making them dull and lackluster, like an old coin losing its shine. And that's exactly what Anita, the young wife of Ben's aging father, says to her husband in the story:

"Just say something to me. Anything." And I thought, Any other word apart from Love, `cause that word is diluted, and no one knows what it really means, anyway.

Coming from uneducated Anita, who is a far cry from being a poet or a philosopher, this thought acquires an even more poignant and raw meaning. She is not trying to impress anyone, she is speaking her heart and her mind, trying to cope with the turmoil of her aging husband's fast decline and her growing attraction for his adult son Ben.

Emotions run high in this story by Uvi Poznansky, made even more prominent by her use of alternating points of view throughout different chapters. All the main characters get a voice and an opportunity to share their thoughts, desires, internal struggles, and guilt, just like Ben eloquently expresses in this passage as he is falling for Anita:

"...I should have been more careful...I am surrounded - and at the same time, isolated. I am alone. I am apart from Love."

A beautifully-written and deeply philosophical book. Highly recommended.

Get ★★★★★ APART FROM LOVE:

Apart From Love by Uvi Poznansky

message 7: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Just discovered this review for Apart From Love:

★★★★★ Truly wonderful!, September 13, 2013
By Bill Nelson - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase

I didn't need to read the author's bio to know she was a poet. The writing is lyrical, eloquent and yes, poetic. And, I could have guessed Poznansky is also an artist, as each scene is painted with lovely sentences and paragraphs that seem to be created out of a vision delivered by a muse. Apart From Love, by Uvi Poznansky is an emotional story told with care. It deals with love and secrets (and all that they entail) and finally, a quest for understanding. We hear this story from Ben, "Here is my latest revelation: I have been in hiding for so long that at this point, by some strange twist, my mind starts rebelling against me. I know it, because - in spite of my efforts to disguise myself, to alter my looks and behavior - I find myself wishing to be found out." And from Anita, "I open the bedroom window, and feel warm spring air coming in, blowing gently into my face, which feels like a promise." But I might have enjoyed the cleverly named Mr. Bliss the most. Apart From Love is a beautiful thing to read. Highly recommended.

message 8: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Author Dr. Glen Hepker has written A Glimpse of Heaven: The Philosophy of True Health, and he has doctorate degrees in psychology and health/wellness arts. I am deeply honored that he posted this review for Apart From Love:

★★★★★ An impeccable work!, September 17, 2013
By Dr. Glen Hepker "Dr. Glen Hepker" (Mason City, Iowa USA) -
(REAL NAME)

It is truly an honor to write this review for this impeccable work by Uvi Poznansky.

In her media comments, Uvi eloquently relates that she 'paints with a pen and writes with a paintbrush.' I believe it is important to know that this is in no way an exaggeration - she truly is an artist/writer of the highest caliber, and Apart from Love is splendidly consistent with this level of artistry.

Please know I do not say this lightly - with this book, Uvi has offered us a work which is impeccably written, quintessentially resplendent, and with a powerful, deeply moving message...so much so that I (humbly and respectfully) believe it is important to say that she has truly made the world a better place through her splendid effort. Through the troubled characters in her book, Uvi weaves a so quite spellbinding study into the dynamics of life...and does so in a wonderful fashion which prompts a deep and abiding empathy and hope within the heart of the reader. Once one begins reading, it really truly IS difficult to put down. - Dr. Glen Hepker (author of "A Glimpse of Heaven: The Philosophy of True Health)

Bargain price $0.99 today only... Hint hint...
♥ Ebook ♥ http://tinyurl.com/apartfromlove-e

message 9: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Wow, what a lovely review for my novel, Apart From Love! It is written by Dawn Torrens, the author of Amelia's Story (the authors true life story) a book that inspired people all over the world. Here is what she says:

★★★★★ The author has great talent - A true master of her craft., September 23, 2013
By torrenstp (England)

Apart From Love is such a beautifully written and well crafted story. The author writes an intriguing and unravelling story of a dysfunctional family. The events of this story are told from various points of view so thus giving you 3D insight into whole family unit. A divorced family that are coming to terms with newly found placement in life. Lenny is a writer with a new younger partner who is far removed from Ben and Anita's mother. This is a very cleverly written book by an equally very clever writer who in my humble opinion is at the top of her game. This is a compelling read that you simply won't be able to put down. It will take you hostage from the opening pages and grip you like a vice until the very last page. I will be reading more by this author for sure.

message 10: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Are you a member of Audible? Love contemporary fiction? Boy are you in luck! I am announcing a RAFFLE to win a FREE audiobook download of my audiobook, Apart From Love!

Here's how:

✿ Send me a PM to enter the raffle.
✿ The winner will be announced on my Author Facebook Page, on Saturday October 5th

You can click the image and take a listen to the audio clip, performed by two amazing voice artists: Heather Jane Hogan (as Anita) and David Kudler (as Ben.) Also, here is the book description, so you have a handle on what you're competing to win:

Written with passionate conviction, this story is being told by two of its characters: Ben, a twenty-seven years old student, and Anita, a plain-spoken, spunky, uneducated redhead, freshly married to Lenny, his aging father. Behind his back, Ben and Anita find themselves increasingly drawn to each other. They take turns using an old tape recorder to express their most intimate thoughts, not realizing at first that their voices are being captured by him.
Meanwhile, Lenny is trying to keep a secret from both of them: his ex-wife, Ben’s mother, a talented pianist, has been stricken with an early-onset alzheimer. Taking care of her gradually weighs him down.
What emerges in these characters is a struggle, a desperate, daring struggle to find a path out of conflicts, out of isolation, from guilt to forgiveness.

message 11: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "I imagine my father standing right here, in my place at the foot of the bed. I step back and in my mind, picture him taking a step forward, lifting the edge of the blanket, which is still settling over her.
His hands go in, searching playfully for her feet, touching the creamy skin, fondling her toes, rolling each one of them ever so slightly between his fingers; which makes her arch her back, stretch out her arms, and twist her body around until she is turned over, on her back. She points her toes towards him with a cry of pleasure.
Anita utters a groan as he applies gentle pressure to the soles of her feet, caresses the arches, the heels, the ankles. Her knees spread open and fall apart, until she takes control of herself and brings them together—only to have them spread open again.
I close my eyes because this way, I can see with greater clarity. The entire blanket is coming alive, folding and unfolding, stirring with their passionate tangle. From time to time the ripples rise to mark the line of his back, or the curve of her embrace."

Ben in Apart From Love

★★★★★ bookreview:
Listen to voices of Anita and Ben:

message 12: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments I was invited for a mini interview on Irene's Book Oasis! Here is the link:

Mini-Interview on Irene's Book Oasis

message 13: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Ready for Halloween?

Double, double misfortune, trouble
Burning coal and blackening rubble
Let the blood in my caldron come to a boil
Let me feed the flames; oh, such a toil!
Don't you dare fear me, come over here
Ever so gruffly, I'll whisper in your ear
Listen, dear, no need to fret
And I promise, no regret:
Apart From Love is here at last.
Get it now, and do it fast!

message 14: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Shimmering luster, let me try, let me reach you
Layers beyond layers of red, all aglow
With trembling fingers I touch... Flimsy tissue
It comes down upon me, folding high into low

I dance with abandon, with no inhibition,
Entangled in fabric, I can no longer flee
Can't breath, for now I can see the strange fusion
Now I know: this tissue is me

♫ °˚˚ ✿*‿*) ♡♥ ◦°˚˚

(This poem is included in my poetry book, Home.)

My poem is inspired by my art: here is a set three panels, three oil paintings. I offer it to your interpretation, if the figures are dancing out of joy, or getting themselves tied in utter frustration... When I painted the picture, I likened the red fabric to chewing gum on the floor, into which you step and can never release yourself. The more you fight to free yourself, the more you become entangled.

I did the preparatory work for them by drawing sketches of a nude model, who posed with a silky, red piece of fabric. Then I created a composition out of these sketches, a composition which I arranged as a triptych (an arrangement similar to paintings on an altar.) I did a version of this arrangement in a different color scheme, in watercolor. You can see this version on my facebook page. Then I created the version presented here, in oil. Later, the panel on the right provided the inspiration for the cover of my novel, Apart From Love (available on Amazon in its paperback and Kindle editions.)

★★★★★ bookreview:

message 15: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "She is looking out the window.
Perhaps she is immersing herself in the grays and purples quivering there, on the other side of the glass, reaching a blur in the cold October sunlight. Perhaps, with great patience she is waiting there, waiting for the night, for the darkest hour, which is when her image may finally appear. It will come to the surface in front of her as if it were a sunken spirit, rising from the deep. Out of nowhere.
For now she seems lost, searching for something—perhaps her reflection—in vain.
I worry about mom, about the little things, which to someone else—someone who does not know her as I do—may seem trivial, insignificant. I worry she is missing her pearl earrings. I must find them for her. The little hole in her earlobe has shrunk away, turning somehow to flesh.
In a whisper I say, “Mommy?” and wonder how the air vibrates over the tender membrane of her eardrum, how it changes into noise, how she gets it when pitch rises, when it falls.
Can she sense the change?
At what point does it translate, somehow, into meaning? By what path does it penetrate, going deeper? Does it excite the nerves, fire signals up there, between regions of her brain? Does it make some sense, at least at times? Is there any point in talking to her? Is she listening? Can she detect the thin sound—scratched like an old, overused vinyl record—which is coming faintly from behind, from the far end of this space? Can she understand the words? Is there sorrow in her? Is there hope?"

Ben in Apart From Love

★★★★★ bookreview:

message 16: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments My author friends have joined forces with me!
We bring you amazing stories, narrated by great voice actors.
Click the profile image of each one of us to learn about our work

Meet my author friends

message 17: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Yay! My work is at the top of the authors directory!

message 18: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments He says, “My God, you are in heat. Now how does that happen, in your condition? Cool off already, in front of the boy! What do you expect of me? You wanted to get married, so now we’re married. Mazel Tov! What more do you want?”
“I want you to look at me,” she says, thrusting her chest out in front of her. “You haven’t been here for two weeks, since the wedding. And now that you’re here, you ain’t really here. Am I even wanted here? I’m a woman. I need to feel desired, and I need to be held by a man.”
At this point I feel obliged to peep in, for the third time, “I am not a boy.”
And she wipes her brow. “My God,” says Anita, as she turns away from my father. “I’m so hot. Don’t you wait too long.” And with a harsh motion, she flings the knife on the cutting board, right there between us.
It gives a sharp sound, which startles my father. His mouth is mirrored in the surface of the blade, and suddenly it becomes clear to me that the oven is not the only one fuming—so is he.
He raises his eye to her, and jealousy escapes. He glares at me, and a warning shoots out. What does he want from me? There is nothing I can do. He hates me for staring at her and he hates me for trying not to stare.

Excerpt from Apart From Love

Get ★★★★★ APART FROM LOVE
♥ Audio ♥ http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-a
♥ Print ♥ http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-p
♥ Ebook ♥ http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-e

message 19: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Julia Gousseva is the author of Moscow Dreams and other books, inspired by Russian culture and history. She is also a great teacher, always on the search of finding new ways to engage the minds of her students. I am so blessed that she chose excerpts from my books, and put them before her students. She gave them the following assignment:

Read the remaining materials posted under "Ideas and Story Plots" in Web Links. Then, follow the link below to read three short openings to three different stories by Uvi Poznansky. After you have done all your readings, return here and do the following three things:
From each of the three excerpts by Uvi Poznansky. quote *brief* phrases or specific sentences that show the desire/yearning/longing of the main character. Explain *how* those sentences/phrases set plot into motion.
Respond to at least one other student.
Come up with 2-3 questions to ask Uvi Poznansky about her writing, her books, the way she comes with plots, etc. After I grade your discussions, I'll choose the most popular and/or the most interesting questions and ask Uvi to answer them on my website.

Student responses:

"There is a vibrant longing..." When one gets a physical feeling it usually produces movement or shut down, but Poznansky used the word vibrant, and I imagine a shift in the character.
" Finally decided to walk through the door..." This character is ready to face the unknown, her fears by walking through the door.
"Something has been taken from me." That feeling or situation would evoke action in most people - to get it back,retribution, etc.
“He has lived, or rather, has confined himself within these walls for decades, for a reason unknown.” This sentence sets the plot into motion because it really opens up the readers mind to picture what the character has developed his life to, or actually decreased is life to. In just one sentence it says that he has “confined himself” and that in itself means that there are barriers that have been put up for whatever reason and that maybe the character is going to be facing some serious challenges.
“Her longing for him.” When I read this short line it immediately made me think of a desperate girl waiting for what she thinks is her night and shining armor. This plot could be set up as a girl is waiting for a guy that maybe doesn’t even know that she exists to just give her a chance and see that she is just right for him.
“My name? Identity? Who am I, then?” I think that this is a common couple of questions that not just characters, but people run into as well. This plot could be that the character is being tested on something and the outcome makes him question who he is and what he stands for.
From Home by Uvi Poznansky: " There is a vibrant longing in him for the adventures of his early days." I believe this is the most important part of the paragraph because it not only gives you some insight on his current situation of his life but also the focal point of his story. The things he did while he was young is what what drove hime to be reclusive yet he wants to relive those days.
From Twisted by Uvi Poznansky: "Her longing for him." Although the shortest sentence in the paragraph I think it is the most important because early in the text it describes all of her journal entries falling out and fluttering everywhere and every single one of them deals with some unknown male. The importance lying in the fact that every thing mentioned so far by this protaganist is directly connected with him.
From Twisted Uvi Poznansky: "Lying still in a corner of the cave, I try my best not to rattle, not to betray my fear. I figure, as long as they think me unconscious, I am safe." I think this is important because it gives you some detail about the current predicament the protaginist is in. It lets you know that she is afraid to even move or speak, something at least to me seems like important information.
From Home by Uvi Poznansky "He has lived, or rather, has confined himself within these walls for decades, for a reason unknown." I believe that this sentence sets the plot because it makes the reader question who the character is. I would want to know what his personality is and how his social life is. Based on this sentence I would think that he is a very independent, quiet person. Although, I would have to keep reading to find out.
From Twisted by Uvi Poznansky "She closed the book, placed it on the table, and finally decided to walk through the door." I believe that this sentence sets the plot because it allows the reader to believe that the character may be on her way to a new adventure. Based on this sentence, I would believe that the character is a spontaneous girl and wants to live her life.
From Twisted by Uvi Poznansky "At this moment I find myself overwhelmed, turned inside out by a sense of suspicion." I believe that this sentence sets the plot as well because some readers may relate to the position that the character is in right now. Everyone has had that feeling of being overwhelmed depending on the situation depends on how overwhelmed you are.
“In this stagnant place all sounds are muffled, all images erased—but for one thing: his youth. There is a vibrant longing in him for the adventures of his early days.” These two sentences show that the main character, an older man, is yearning for the “adventures of his early days.” Poznansky sets the plot into motion by introducing what the main character wants right away. Her main character has confined himself in a room for decades, with only his thoughts of his youth to keep him company. Deep down, he wishes he could relive, or live adventures similar to the ones he had when he was a younger man. To me, this says that the plot may be flashbacks or one long flashback about this old man’s adventurous past.
”…releasing letter after letter into the air, filling its darkness with white feathery pages, rustling, whispering what she had written such a long time ago, what had been clamped—until now—between the front and back covers, as if it were a flower meant for drying. Her longing for him.” Poznansky’s main character in these sentences has loved a man in the past. We know this (if my assumptions are correct) because of the description of her diary (the gold-lettered word, love, on the spine) and because of the sentence, “Her longing for him.” In the sentences above, the main character is imagining what would happen if she dropped her diary down an empty elevator shaft. It would open, and what she had written so long ago would be released. Not just the physical pages and words, but her feelings as well. She had closed them off when she shut her diary, but she had not completely gotten rid of her feelings. She had preserved them, as a flower is preserved when it is dried. Maybe she knows that if she opens the diary, her longing for this man will return.
“I figure, as long as they think me unconscious, I am safe. I have jolted awake because of the voices, only to discover they are incoherent and muffled. In between the gusts of wind, I can hear them hissing. Each phrase plays out in some verbose foreign music, which I cannot decipher for the life of me…Something has been taken away from me…Who am I, then?” This main character has many desires: to be safe, to know who “the voices” are and what they are saying, to know what has been taken away from him/her, and to know who he/she is. This sets up the plot by providing questions to be answered, and putting the reader in the middle of the action/story.

Questions from the students:

What inspires you to write? Where do you get your creative ideas from?
What do you like to read?
When did you realize you wanted to become a writer?
How do you come up with your opening lines?
What comes first to you, the character or the setting?
What point of view do you prefer to write your stories in and why?
How and when do you decide when your writings are complete?
How do you market your stories?

I will answer these wonderful questions in my next post!

message 20: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments This is like no other interview I have done before, because the questions come from students, led by the marvelous Russian-inspired author Julia Gousseva.

Having discussed my work in class, they came up with great observations, and posed these questions to me. You can see for yourself that their questions are truly thought-provoking. Their interest in the creative process tells you a lot about them!

Check out the interview:
A Chat with Uvi Poznansky

message 21: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments He says, “My God, you are in heat. Now how does that happen, in your condition? Cool off already, in front of the boy! What do you expect of me? You wanted to get married, so now we’re married. Mazel Tov! What more do you want?”
“I want you to look at me,” she says, thrusting her chest out in front of her. “You haven’t been here for two weeks, since the wedding. And now that you’re here, you ain’t really here. Am I even wanted here? I’m a woman. I need to feel desired, and I need to be held by a man.”
At this point I feel obliged to peep in, for the third time, “I am not a boy.”
And she wipes her brow. “My God,” says Anita, as she turns away from my father. “I’m so hot. Don’t you wait too long.” And with a harsh motion, she flings the knife on the cutting board, right there between us.
It gives a sharp sound, which startles my father. His mouth is mirrored in the surface of the blade, and suddenly it becomes clear to me that the oven is not the only one fuming—so is he.
He raises his eye to her, and jealousy escapes. He glares at me, and a warning shoots out. What does he want from me? There is nothing I can do. He hates me for staring at her and he hates me for trying not to stare.

Ben in Apart From Love

Going home for Thanksgiving? Give a book!
★★★★★ Apart From Love

message 22: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Drooling over the thought of big bird and all the trimmings? Stop it! Here is what I'm thankful for: a one-of-a kind review by Dolores Ayotte, the author of several self help books:

Book Reviews ~ Apart From Love

message 23: by Uvi (last edited Nov 06, 2014 06:37AM) (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Get it quick, get it now
Enjoy the read, and I will vow:
Here's a story with a twist
And no regrets for what you could've missed!

★ Twisted  ★  Apart From Love ★  A F avorite Son ★

message 24: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Yay! A first Audible review of Apart From Love (the audiobook edition):

Overall ★★★★★
Performance ★★★★★
Story ★★★★★

"The characters truly come to life"
If you could sum up Apart from Love in three words, what would they be?
Full of Surprises

What did you like best about this story?
I had already read Apart From Love before listening to the audio version and I had previously found myself amazed by the author's brilliant story telling when I read it. With the audio book, it may have seemed clearer that they were recording themselves but it is hard to say since I had read the book already. Anita and Ben jumped out at you with their quirky personalities shining through their voices.

What about David Kudler and Heather Jane Hogan ’s performance did you like?
The show of emotion was wonderful for both Kudler and Hogan.

Who was the most memorable character of Apart from Love and why?
Ben and Anita are the most memorable characters in this complex story.

♥ Print ♥ http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-p
♥ Ebook ♥ http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-e

message 25: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments The door will swing and open wide
Take off your coat and come inside
No more trembling, no more chill
Here is my paper and my quill
This is the time for story telling
Kisses, hugs, and lavish giving.
Let there be joy, love, delight,
Warmth and sparkling light!

Bring the gift of books to your loved ones
Better yet, get them for yourself
A Favorite SonApart From LoveTwistedHome

message 26: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Lovely new review for Apart From Love by Read-Along-with-Sue:

★★★★ Nice, December 8, 2013
By read-along-with-Sue - See all my reviews

I was gifted this book by the author in exchange for my honest review.

At first I found the start hard going. It certainly isn't one of those books you can pick up and immediantly get into.
That doesn't mean it didn't take my interest, it did. That is why I carried on with it.

As the story unfolded there was a lovely love affair going well on.

I think the one thing I take from this book is that dreaded disease Alzheimer's. My husbands Father is afflicted with this and I could relate to lots in this book on so many levels.

The blurb doesn't do the book justice, its a superbly written piece of art.

Would I recommend it? Oh yes.

message 27: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "Afterwards, I cannot figure out for certain at what point my voice has trailed off, leaving me lost in a jumble of memories, fearful to open my eyes, fearful to glance at my watch, to figure out the moment, the exact moment when I have realized that I am alone.
All I know is that somewhere along its arc, the light has crawled across the wall and leapt onto their pillow, and it is resting there now, on his open eyelids.
It is a fairly strong light now, a glare that can blind you if you look directly into it, which strangely he seems to be doing. So I rise to my feet to pull the curtain shut, and then, in spite of myself, I glance at him. His chest barely rises.
He lays there, having wrapped himself in my mother’s arms, his eyelashes still somewhat aflutter, his hands still shivering slightly over his heart, his face pale, nearly blue, and I know that if I would leave him at this moment to go look for Martha, the care giver, it would be over. Dad would be gone by the time I rush back."

Ben in Apart From Love

message 28: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments ✿(•̃̃‿•̃̃ ♡ ◦°˚ Yay! What a lovely way to start the new year: a review of Apart From Love!

★★★★★ Uvi Poznansky Apart from Love, January 2, 2014
By debbiebrooks37 - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Apart From Love (Paperback)
Apart from Love, is a book that you can not put down...its full of passionate conviction, of forbidden love.. The lonesome faceless figures that the shadows can't see.. I love this book ... It is a must read.
Debbie Brooks

(•̃̃‿•̃̃

Ebook http://BookShow.me/B006WPITP0
Audio http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-a
Print http://bookShow.me/0984993207

message 29: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments You may recall the play-in-a-play, performed by the rude mechanics at the end of Midsummer Night's Dream, aptly described in their own words as 'The most lamentable comedy, and most cruel death of Pyramus and Thisby.' These would-be actors, whose ability to express themselves is unabashedly mocked by their audience, are used by Shakespeare mainly for comic relief. The play they perform is merely a farce of the Romeo and Juliet love story. Why, you may ask? Because like most artists and playwrights of that era, the bard knew only too well that he ought to entertain and complement his patrons, the most important of which where members of the royal court. This is the reason that characters who speak in slang were nearly never placed center-stage, as the hero of the story. Such characters were portrayed as simpletons, and by no means were they given any depth of feeling.

It was only later in the history of literature that characters of the lower class were taken seriously, and their point of view began to resonate, despite much controversy, with readers and theatre goers. For example, Between 1961 and 1982, The Catcher in the Rye was the most censored book in high schools and libraries in the United States. And yet today, it is recognized as an American classic, giving voice to teenage confusion, angst, alienation and rebellion. I suggest to you that in even today, there are two clashing views about the use of slang-talking characters, one from those who see themselves as 'upscale, educated nobility'--and the other, the more 'democratic' one, from the rest of us.

Recently I was reminded of this clash, when I posted an excerpt from Apart From Love in Anita's voice. You would be hard-pressed to find a three-syllable word in anything she says. The lack of long words is compensated by descriptive sequence of short words (see the replacement for ‘magnifying glass’ below.) You can spot a liberal use of the dreaded double-negative, and of the word ‘like’. In the excerpt she describes the memory of her first kiss with Lenny. Some readers told me, tongue-in-cheek, that the would need a cold shower by the time she completes her story. But one reader found the style of the excerpt incosistent. He complained that at times Anita is lyrical, and at other times her thoughts are expressed in slang.

As a side note, let me share a little secret with you: even though that reader rejected the excerpt on intellectual grounds (which he is entitled to do) he did get it on an intuitive level. How do I know this? Because the very same day I got a 'romantic' invitation from him to join a social network for setting up dates. So, Anita's hot description did its charm on him, and for some reason, he must have combined to two of us in his mind. I had a little chuckle about this, as did my loved one...

So I ask you: why can't a character combine both? Are we still bound to write for the Pyramus and Thisby audience? Even if your grammar is atrocious, even if your vocabulary is somewhat lacking, does that mean you can't feel the throes of pain, or the exhilaration of joy? Does it mean you can't paint what you see, feel and think? As you form your own answer, I invite you to sense the texture and the power of unrefined language, by listening to Anita's voice once more:

"What matters is only what’s here. I touch my skin right under my breasts, which is where the little one’s curled, and where he kicks, ‘cause he has to. Like, he don’t feel so cosy no more. Here, can you feel it? I reckon he wants me to talk to him. He can hear me inside, for sure. He can hear every note of this silvery music.
It ripples all around him, wave after wave. I can tell that it’s starting to sooth him. It’s so full of joy, of delight, even if to him, it’s coming across somewhat muffled. Like a dream in a dream, it’s floating inside, into his soft, tender ear.
I close my eyes and hold myself, wrapping my arms real soft—around me around him—and I rock ever so gently, back and forth, back and forth, with every note of this silvery marvel. You can barely hear me—but here I am, singing along. I’m whispering words into myself, into him."

Fall in love with Anita, "the diamond in the rough"
Treat yourself to a gift
Apart From Love

Detail from the cover of Apart From Love

message 30: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Brenda Perlin is the author of Reality Bites, Shattered Reality, and Burnt promises. I am thrilled that she posted this review for my novel, Apart From Love:

★★★★★ Lovely!, January 6, 2014
By brendaperlin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apart From Love (Kindle Edition)
Apart From Love has a way of seducing you and pulling the reader in. This was an intriguing story that shared more than one point of view which I really enjoyed. It was a nice touch. I found this to be a very entertaining compelling read. Hearing about these dysfunctional families caught my interest. This is a very passionate story that was done in a creative way. The writing was sharp without being complicated. There were some unusual moments in this well written, somewhat poetic story that really captured my attention and kept me intrigued and entertained all the way though.

message 31: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Still, his lips are moving. “Now that you are back,” he lets out, “things will go back the way they ought to go. I want you to know it.”
I see him forming words, but his voice is too weak to carry them. So I bend over, putting my ear to his mouth.
He breathes, “Here—now—I could not have written it any better.”
And a moment later, “This is the most important day, the most important hour of my entire life. I can see things clearly, more than ever before, as if from a distance. You,” he takes a pause, “you have made your share of mistakes—but the whole thing started with mine.”
“Sorry, dad,” I say.
And he says, “It is my fault, and we both know it. Both of us have been paying the price. Don’t—don’t worry, son. I am going to fix it.”
These few words between us do me good, and my lungs expand and suddenly I can breathe so much easier than before—even though I am left wondering what he means by the whole thing and how exactly can it be fixed.

Ebook http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-e
Print http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-p

message 32: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments I am in awe!
Wanda "Panda" Hartzenberg is a top rated reviewer, and the author of a new book, The Struggle of Me. She ranks #2 top readers, #11 best reviewers , #1 top reviewers on Goodreads. So I am deeply honored that she posted this review, on Amazon and Goodreads, for my novel Apart From Love:

★★★★★ I am in awe!, January 22, 2014
By Wanda "Wandah Panda" (Pretoria, South Africa) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

Literary fiction at it's best.
This is not an easy read, nor a fast one. The reader is immersed in the life and love of a complicated family. The plot is complicated. The theme is one of perspective and in this lies part of the beauty of this novel. The readers perception is formed from multiple point of views. As soon as one perception is formed another take on the reality that is displayed is introduced.

The above is nice extra topping on literally poetry in motion. The authors ability to economically use words in a fluid descriptive manner is akin to see a master painter start a work of genius on a blank canvas. By the end of the process the observer is left stunned and awed.

I know this for this is the effect this book had on me. With almost every known emotion exploited and turned topsy- turvy, I stand in awe.

♥ Ebook ♥ http://BookShow.me/B006WPITP0
♥ Print ♥ http://bookShow.me/0984993207

message 33: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Can you feel the sizzle in the air?
Join me and my author friends, to win one of our audiobooks just in time for Valentine's day:

message 34: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Oh what is there to say
Come Valentine's day?

You bring a dozen blood-red roses
She thinks, Is this how he proposes?

With a bottle of wine
You whisper, Be mine

You offer a big chocolate heart
She thinks, Well, that's a start

She loosens your tie
And gives a deep sigh

The fire is burning, the music is on
But all you can see on her face is a yawn

Then from your pocket you pull out the ring
She shakes her head, No, I want one more thing

What does she want, come Valentine's day?
In cupid's name, what should I say?

She smiles, Bring me Home, Apart From Love
Then I'll be yours, like a hand and a glove

And you say, Give me A Favorite Son
Now let's blow off the candles, one by one

The flame goes out, All Twisted in smoke
Time to come in and take off your cloak

What more is there to say
Come Valentine's day?

Apart From Love

A Favorite Son

Home

Twisted

New release
Rise to Power
★ Ebook ★ Print 
Audiobook coming soon

message 35: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Joan P. Lane is a Jamaican born author of mystery and suspense. Her book, The Tangled Web, is a story of international web of intrigue, nuder, and romance. I am thrilled to find her review of my novel, Apart From Love:

★★★★★ A beautifully written book, February 15, 2014
By Joan P. Ashley "J.P. Lane" (Gainesville, FL, USA)
Amazon Verified Purchase

Apart From Love is the story of three people thrown together by unusual circumstances. An attractive middle aged man meets an uneducated teenage girl in an ice cream parlor. He is seduced by her and ends up marrying her much to the distress of his sisters and his son who returns home after a stint in Europe to find not only a step mother his own age, but that his mother, a concert pianist who his father led him to believe was always on tour, is instead in a nursing home in the last stages of a rare form of Alzheimer's disease.

Uvi Poznansky's words are like brushstrokes, painting a picture of these three tormented people and their environment in exquisite detail. She opens their hearts, their innermost thoughts to her reader, and shows the horror of Alzheimer's when father and son visit Theresa, his now ex-wife, in the nursing home. Despite the fact that she is completely incapacitated, Theresa hangs like a dark shadow over the new wife who feels she can never measure up to her.

Told by Ben the son and Anita the young wife, Apart From Love is a touching and unforgettable story of family conflict. I highly recommend it to readers of this genre.

message 36: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Get APART FROM LOVE, it's FREE today only:
Secrets, passion, betrayal… Find a path from guilt to forgiveness
http://BookShow.me/B006WPITP0

message 37: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Here is a lovely new audible review, written by Aaron Paul Lazar. Aaron is a mystery writer, and many of his books have audiobook editions. I am thrilled by what he says about the narration of Apart From Love:

03-13-14
Overall ★★★★★
Performance ★★★★★
Story ★★★★★

"A Literary Masterpiece!"

Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why?
I already have, several times actually. This book is totally out of my usual genre (mysteries/thrillers) and probably falls most squarely in the literary fiction category, but I was completely blown away by its beauty and pathos. The quality of the writing is absolutely top notch, and when that is coupled with two supremely talented narrators, the combination is riveting.

What did you like best about this story?
I loved the current tense in which the vignettes were told, alternating between Anita and Ben, and the immediacy of the sensations one experiences when listening. The voices are so authentic, the dialog just perfect. I am so in awe of David Kudler's ability to interpret the written word. He is astoundingly good. And Heather Jane Hogan is equally as talented - her Southern accent was impeccable! I've become instant fans of both narrators.

Which character – as performed by David Kudler and Heather Jane Hogan – was your favorite?
That's really tough, because I loved Anita, Ben, Lenny, and the three aunts. But I guess if I was forced to choose, I'd pick Anita. She was so honest and real, no pretenses. She'd been through so much. My heart broke for her in many scenes.

Was there a moment in the book that particularly moved you?
So many moments... but I think one of the most moving was when Ben went to visit his mother in the nursing home. So sad, so heartfelt...

Any additional comments?
I really loved this book, and I think it should win lots of literary fiction awards. It's just so powerful. But I didn't like the ending! Too much was left open, and I didn't get that warm, fuzzy feeling I crave. (Okay, so I'm a happy ending kind of guy). I think it could have ended shortly after Ben was kicked out of the house - this might have been a good point if there was not to be a happy ending! Aside from being disappointed that I didn't get to see the characters living happily at the end of the story, this book, its amazing narrators, and the beautiful scenes will stay with me for many years to come.

message 38: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Here is a timely excerpt from Apart From Love, a flashback to Passovers past:

"If I were to focus strictly on my parents, ignore the entire background of this place, and let the clutter and the smell of it just fall away, this could take me back to a different time, a time in my childhood, when our kitchen table was set for the Passover meal. What comes back to me first is the tinkle, as my father finished blessing the wine, and clinked his glass against hers, against mine.
I remember: the table was draped, all the way down to the floor, with mom’s best, rarely used tablecloth, made of the smoothest ivory satin you ever touched. Dad sat at the head of the table, mom to his right, I opposite her.
All day long she had been cooking, which infused the air with a wonderful aroma. In it you could detect a sharp whiff of horseradish and of gefilte fish and sweet brisket and red cabbage and roasted potatoes, all of which made my stomach growl. It went on growling until he finished reading the long, archaic text in the Hagadda, which meant little to me, except a vague notion of the utter futility of patience.
I remember: my mother ladled the clear, golden chicken soup and set it here, steaming before my eyes, with three matzo balls floating inside, which was her way of giving. “It’s hot,” she said. “Make sure to blow on it first.” Yes, the smell of her cooking was good, but then, the taste! Just wait till you took the first bite—"

Treat yourself to a gift:
APART FROM LOVE
★ Audio ★ Ebook ★ Print ★

message 39: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments I am thrilled to find this new review, written by Catherine Cavendish, the author of Touched by Darkness, Cold Sparks, and other books. This is what she wrote about my novel, Apart From Love:

★★★★★ Stunningly different, April 21, 2014
By Catherine Cavendish

This is an amazing and unusual read. The story of three characters -Lenny, his second wife, Anita and his adult son, Ben. Each tells their part of the story and I became hooked right from the beginning. This author has a real gift for getting right inside her characters' heads. Each voice was distinct and different and each point of view very different from the other. The same events were viewed in markedly different ways by each member of this dysfunctional family, adding layer upon layer of intricate detail, emotion and passion. This is the first story I have read by Uvi Poznansky, who is surely an exciting new voice to watch out for. The stunning cover demonstrates another talent of this highly creative and skilled author. Highly recommended.

message 40: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments New review for Apart From Love:
★★★★★ AMAZING!!!, May 13, 2014
By Amazon Customer
Verified Purchase

ok Not sure what I was getting when I started this book....I got a amazing and wonderfully Profound story of a family and all its conflicts...written in a unique and wonderful way. I quess I could say this story is about a dysfunctional family who both love and hate each other...Like all families...I have ever been around. (smile)...Thank you for a wonderful nights Reading Uvi Poznansky!!!
Please...BUY THIS BOOK!!! you will love it! So sorry I didnt get to it sooner. AWESOME!!!! Thank YOU!!!

message 41: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments New review for Apart From Love:
★★★★★ AMAZING!!!, May 13, 2014
By Amazon Customer
Verified Purchase

ok Not sure what I was getting when I started this book....I got a amazing and wonderfully Profound story of a family and all its conflicts...written in a unique and wonderful way. I quess I could say this story is about a dysfunctional family who both love and hate each other...Like all families...I have ever been around. (smile)...Thank you for a wonderful nights Reading Uvi Poznansky!!!
Please...BUY THIS BOOK!!! you will love it! So sorry I didnt get to it sooner. AWESOME!!!! Thank YOU!!!

message 42: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Jaspreet Mann Kanwar is a poet and a story teller. She is the author of The Road in the Sky (and other books.) I am thrilled to find her review of my novel, Apart From Love:

★★★★★ Apart from Love...nothing else matters!, June 17, 2014
By Jaspreet Mann Kanwar
Verified Purchase
"Just say something to me. Anything." And I thought, Any other word apart from Love, 'cause that word is diluted, and no one knows what it really means, anyway. Uvi Poznansky explores the intricate and complex world of love in ‘Apart From Love’. The characters reveal the hidden recesses of their mind as the story unfolds. A delightful narrative that encompasses all the aspects of life: love, loss, suffering, pain and hope. The main characters Ben and Anita are drawn to each other despite the complexities of their life and existence. In a rather unusual way they discover themselves. The journey is filled with heartbreak, sheer devastation and loneliness. However, despite the odds, despite the overwhelming weight of guilt, a light shines at the end of the dark tunnel. What are the odds of Ben and Anita finding a place for each other in their turbulent world? Will they find anything apart from love? Will they find love? Discover the meaning of love hidden in poignant lines, poetically woven to create a canvas of life. Feel the seismic tremors of dark secrets, unbridled passion and a flame that just refuses to quell. A beautiful narrative that highlights Poznansky’s adept handling of plot & language and takes you into the mind of a dysfunctional family grappling with universal issues of love, betrayal and forgiveness. Discover ‘Apart From Love’ and connect with a great artist of our times, an artist that transforms the ordinary into the extraordinary and turns everything that she writes to gold with her Midas like touch.

Ebook http://BookShow.me/B006WPITP0
Print http://bookShow.me/0984993207

message 43: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Wanda "Panda" Hartzenberg is a top rated reviewer, and the author of The Struggle of Me. She ranks #11 best reviewers , #1 top reviewers on Goodreads. I am thrilled that she posted this review for the audiobook edition of Apart From Love:

Overall ★★★★★
Performance ★★★★★
Story ★★★★★
"Add to or amplify, audio adds."
Here is the review I did on the book after I read it.
Literary fiction at it's best.
This is not an easy read, nor a fast one. The reader is immersed in the life and love of a complicated family. The plot is complicated. The theme is one of perspective and in this lies part of the beauty of this novel. The readers perception is formed from multiple point of views. As soon as one perception is formed another take on the reality that is displayed is introduced.

The above is nice extra topping on literally poetry in motion. The authors ability to economically use words in a fluid descriptive manner is akin to see a master painter start a work of genius on a blank canvas. By the end of the process the observer is left stunned and awed.

I know this for this is the effect this book had on me. With almost every known emotion exploited and turned topsy- turvy, I stand in awe.

Now on to the narrators, David Kudler as Ben and Bens' dad did a masterful job in bringing to the fore, for me, what a pathetic man Ben really is. At 27 he never had a job. He blames his folks for everything. He drifts around like a hobo and assumes it is his right that his father keeps looking after him for he is his son.

Anita came to life with Heather Jane Hogan. She may not be well educated or even brought up well but she has smarts. The real type, the deep type that gives her insight into the human state of being that is actually kind of chilling. The two narrators added so much to the story, amplified it. Made it sharper, made the contrasts that more deep. I absolutely adored this book after I was a bit hesitant to start on it since I could still recall the book pretty well after reading it not that long ago. Absolutely amazing. A must listen.

WaAr.

Audio
Ebook
Print

message 44: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments I'm waiting to be taken, but now, be forewarned
Don't you dare come near me, or else you'd be scorned--
Unless you delight in literary fiction
And enjoy reading a book with detailed scene depiction

If you let me pull you in, deep inside
Until you find yourself there, in my characters' mind
I'll make you burn in hell, ablaze in desire,
I'll let you swirl like smoke, ever higher and higher

I'll bring you down here: Santa Monica, Venice Beach
For a father-son meeting, with a blame and a breach
You'll hear Lenny, Natasha, Anita and Ben
And be tortured by guilt, again and again

Find a path to forgiveness, find a way to come clean
Find the words to explain what exactly you mean
Turn page after page, then fall to your knee
'Cause Apart From Love, no feeling is free

★ Love reading? Treat yourself to a gift ★
Apart From Love
★ Audio ★ Ebook★ Print ★

message 45: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments An award-winning, internationally read, From Womens' Pens author and humorist, Susan Ricci is best known for her series of works titled Cindy's Crusades. This is what she said about my novel, Apart From Love:

★★★★★ Definitely my cup of tea!, August 3, 2014
By Susan Ricci - See all my reviews
Apart From Love by the multi-talented author/artist Uvi Poznanski is a wonderful novel and totally my cup of tea – the prose is fragrant, flavorful, and deeply moving.

The two POV characters sharing their feelings in Apart From Love are poignant and tremendously telling. Ms. Poznanski’s writing is fluent and graceful, and I found no awkwardness via the transitions from one POV character to the other.

Every element in this powerful story touches on the realisms of a dysfunctional family, coupled with Alzheimer’s and a possible incestuous relationship between two in-laws. Apart from this, I will share no more! Keep reading please!

After scrolling through the reviews on Apart From Love, I couldn’t help but wonder why there were a few Debbie Downers in the review department. Yes, there’re some weird family integrations that could be misjudged or misinterpreted, but this narrative is one of the best literary genre stories I’ve ever had the pleasure to read. Believe me, I'm a multi-genre freak, and I read ALOT.

I will not share any more information, because I never review and share spoilers, but I hope I’ve shared enough of the value via the message I received from Apart From Love – Buy it, Read it, LOVE it! It’s completely worthy of your attention!

✿ Ebook http://BookShow.me/B006WPITP0
✿ Audio http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-a
✿ Print http://bookShow.me/0984993207

message 46: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments How do we preserve memory, how we lose it? I am fascinated by these questions. My novel, Apart From Love, is inspired by the affect of Alzheimer's not only on the afflicted but on the entire family. Ben's mother used to be a gifted pianist and is now stricken by early-onset Alzheimer’s, a rare form...

To read more, click here:
How do we preserve memory, how do we lose it?

message 47: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments And so, I charge him, “It is always secrets with you. I hate you for that."
Which, to my surprise, he accepts. "I hate it too,” he admits. “Having to have secrets."
“With mom,” I say, “things are simpler. You know, from time to time she would tell me something about herself. She would write to me, even.”
“Oh yeah?” he says. “And how long ago was that?”
I figure that the last note I received from mom was—let’s see—at least two years ago, maybe three. It amazes me now that all this time, I have given little thought, if any, to the silence between us.
I suppose I did not feel like telling her about myself, because around that time I quit everything. I left my studies at the Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia in the university of Firenze, after only a couple of years. And so, I figured, the less letters from my parents—the better.
I isolated myself, and attributed the sporadic nature of our correspondence to the frequent changes of my address, as I moved often, from one place to another across Italy.
“And her handwriting,” says my father, pressing steadily ahead. “To you, son, was it clear?”
Her beautiful handwriting. It is engraved in my memory. As a child, I used to study it and copy it repeatedly, beginning at age five, when she wrapped her hand over mine, and taught me how to hold a pen. Between the first and middle fingers, she said, and hold it in place like this, by the thumb.
Mom used to draw text with the nib of a calligraphy pen. She would produce a smooth, fluent line, changing it—as if by a magic wand—from thick to thin, connecting the end of one glyph to the beginning of the another, with a stroke that was so fine, truly, fine to the point of becoming invisible, almost. It had such a consistent slant, just like that monogram, embroidered on her silk sheets.
But then, this note—the last note she sent me—which I can see before my eyes as if it were right here, rustling in my hands, this one, I must admit, was different. It had none of these delicate pen strokes.
On the contrary, here was an ugly mess. The words were scattered. Some of them were scratched over, as if some frenzied chickens got loose on the page. What happened? What could possibly explain this unusual sloppiness?>

Ben in Apart From Love

After many years of absence Ben returns to his childhood home, and finds himself faced with a truth that he has so far managed to hide from himself: his mother, a gifted pianist with a training in memorization technique, has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's. His father, Lenny, who has kept this a secret until now, has a hard time relating this fact to his estranged son, and during their first conversation they cast heated accusations at each other, in an explosive exchange of guilt and blame. In this excerpt he uses the deterioration in her penmanship to point out a symptom of her infliction, a proof that Ben might accept.

message 48: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments I am so thrilled to discover an eloquent new review, written by a Top 500 Amazon Reviewer! Here is what Dii wrote for of my novel, Apart From Love:

★★★★★ Complexity in Life, Relationships
By Dii TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 15, 2014

And again, Uvi Poznansky uses her words as she uses the stroke of her brush to create art. Apart From Love is a journey through the complex relationships of a son, his father and his young stepmother when desires overrule propriety and create a triangle filled with emotion, past deeds and untold regrets and untruths. Told through the voices of Ben and his young stepmother, Anita, their voices resonate at such a different pitch, there is no doubt who is speaking as they record their thoughts to each other. What has drawn them toward each other? Is it Ben’s need to reconnect with his mother that he sees Anita as a younger version?

When one enjoys anything from Uvi Poznansky, they can expect art on the pages, told from her heart and soul. She treats every work as a treasured piece, imparting her own manner of living a tale. Ms. Poznansky’s work cannot be rushed through; there are too many layers, too many complex thoughts that must be pondered and a tale that does not follow the expected formula. I found myself searching between her words to find a deeper meaning to her tale. When an author pulls you so far into their tale that you must struggle to leave after that last page, they truly have a gift that is to be admired. Forget high action, fast-paced drama, which is not Ms. Poznansky’s style. Savor this read, with a glass of wine and a warm fire, reality and the world will wait for you later.

♥ Ebook ♥ http://BookShow.me/B006WPITP0
♥ Audio ♥ http://tinyurl.com/apart-love-audio
♥ Print ♥ http://bookShow.me/0984993207

message 49: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Just updated the book description for Apart From Love, this captures more of the story, check it out:

Secrets, passion, betrayal...
Coming back to his childhood home after years of absence, Ben is unprepared for the secret, which is now revealed to him: his mother, Natasha, who used to be a brilliant pianist, is losing herself to early-onset Alzheimer's, which turns the way her mind works into a riddle. His father has remarried, and his new wife, Anita, looks remarkably similar to Natasha--only much younger. In this state of being isolated, being apart from love, how will Ben react when it is so tempting to resort to blame and guilt? "In our family, forgiveness is something you pray for, something you yearn to receive--but so seldom do you give it to others."

Behind his father's back, Ben and Anita find themselves increasingly drawn to each other. They take turns using an old tape recorder to express their most intimate thoughts, not realizing at first that their voices are being captured by him. These tapes, with his eloquent speech and her slang, reveal the story from two opposite viewpoints.

What emerges in this family is a struggle, a desperate, daring struggle to find a path out of conflicts, out of isolation, from guilt to forgiveness.

Where does the title, Apart From Love, come from?
The word Love is used sparingly in the novel, which makes it ever more precious. The title comes from a phrase used three times in the story:

After a while I whispered, like, "Just say something to me. Anything." And I thought, Any other word apart from Love, 'cause that word is diluted, and no one knows what it really means, anyway.
Anita

Why, why can't you say nothing? Say any word--but that one, 'cause you don't really mean it. Nobody does. Say anything, apart from Love.
Anita

For my own sake I should have been much more careful. Now--even in her absence--I find myself in her hands, which feels strange to me. I am surrounded--and at the same time, isolated. I am alone. I am apart from Love.
Ben

message 50: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments By the time I turned sixteen, mom had developed an unexplained fear, a fear of getting lost, which was quite pronounced, even as she headed out for a short walk, such as to the grocery store on Wilshire Boulevard, not more than a couple of blocks away. She seemed to rely, with an increasing sense of anxiety, on the familiar, and would become ferociously shaken if a chair was accidentally moved out of position. We all knew that the instrument--which was only hers, because I had stopped playing by then--was sacred. It was not to be touched.
And so, too, was she...

To read more click here:
We all knew that the instrument was sacred. It was not to be touched

« previous 1