Myths and Legends discussion

Native American Mythology > How well known are Native American Myths, worldwide?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 37 comments I grew up firmly implanted in comic books, that used myths from all nations as story material. I suppose that has clouded my judgement, as it made me familiar with a number of myths. But there are some NA myths I thought had been done to death in films and books to the point most readers would recognize them.

For example, the Coyote.

For one of my books, I added an epilogue that had an actual coyote eating the heart of the slain shapeshifter in the novel. Said shapeshifter got his powers from eating other hearts- gaining memories, power, form, etc. So when the coyote eats it, the coyote turns into the shapeshifter. BAM! Set up for a sequel.

Well, one (non-U.S.)reviewer didn't get the Coyote thing. I thought it was rather clear- a nod to the trickster myth.

Are NA Myths not well known outside the U.S.?

message 2: by Emy (last edited Sep 03, 2013 10:05AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 1 comments I think that most myths are not that well known outside their regions, unless you are into folklore.

Personally, I know Coyote but wouldn't necessarily have seen that as a nod to the myth but more a nod to an outcast-scavenger to changed-being idea. *shrugs* I am strongest in Slavic and English folklore/myth so I get a buzz when I can see them in something but would often miss similar subtle references from pantheons I'm not so au fait with. ;) Given the multi-ethnic background of many modern Americans, I'm not even sure I'd expect many native (not Native) Americans to get NA mythos now either. Same for English myths unfortunately...

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 23 comments C.E., you could have put some kind of post script on your book to explain the myth reference. I agree with Emy, that there are many, many cultures and folklores out there. With the internet, we can expect a more world-wide audience. So maybe it's better to be safe than sorry.