Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > 2013 Kindle Paperwhite Coming Soon

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Here's a review by Gizmodo:

http://gizmodo.com/the-new-amazon-kin...

The better browsing capability -- i.e. picture in picture bookmarks -- sounds interesting.

message 3: by Jason (last edited Sep 04, 2013 02:22PM) (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 41 comments Looks like it's out now and can be found here: ALL-NEW KINDLE PAPERWHITE

I've kind of gotten tired of my Kindle Touch and might just have to order one!

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I will be interested to see how the supposed Goodreads integration works. It would be great if it enabled some automatic interactions, such as moving a book my Currently Reading shelf on Goodreads once I start reading it on my kindle, or marking the date read and moving it to my Read shelf on Goodreads once I have moved it to my Read collection on the kindle. I'm not particularly interested in posting notes and highlights to Goodreads, but I know some people are.

message 5: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) I see the new Kindles are integrated with GoodReads. That didn't take long.

message 6: by Nell (new)

Nell | 0 comments I was waiting for the second generation before I bought a Kindle Paperwhite. My Kindle Keyboard is 3 years old and I like the Paperwhite screen lighting and resolution. The 3G version comes out in November. I have 3G on the KK. Any thoughts on waiting longer and paying extra to get 3G on the Paperwhite?

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments I'm waiting for the 3G Paperwhite. I, too, have the Kindle Keyboard and it's starting to need rebooting too often, so I thought it would be a good time for a new one. I don't mind paying for the 3G since sometimes I'm out of range of wireless.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 50 comments I was hoping that a new paperwhite would give you the ability to set personalized 'zones' for page turning, in the way that the Kobo does. I got a paperwhite a few months ago (after years of having non-touch screen kindles), and the ergonomics just don't work for me as well as having buttons on both sides did. I don't know how left-handed people use the paperwhite, as it just seems very limited.

message 9: by Cullen (new)

Cullen (gr_cb_mi) | 1 comments I'm excited about the Goodreads integration and this might be enough to make me switch from my Nook.

But, I want to find out if the books will only be integrated if they were purchased through Amazon's system? Will it work on DRM-free books acquired elsewhere? I haven't seen anything address that.

message 10: by Nell (new)

Nell | 0 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I'm waiting for the 3G Paperwhite. I, too, have the Kindle Keyboard and it's starting to need rebooting too often, so I thought it would be a good time for a new one. I don't mind paying for the 3G since sometimes I'm out of range of wireless..."

That's why I have 3G on the Keyboard. Now that I will have 2 Kindles, I hope (expect) the 2 Kindles can sync with each other so a book I download on the Keyboard can be read on the Paperwhite as well.

message 11: by Nell (new)

Nell | 0 comments Jen wrote: "I was hoping that a new paperwhite would give you the ability to set personalized 'zones' for page turning, in the way that the Kobo does. I got a paperwhite a few months ago (after years of havin..."

I'm lefthanded too and use the next page button on the left side. Didn't know that about the Paperwhite. Guess they are trying to simulate print books.

message 12: by Helen (last edited Sep 04, 2013 12:01PM) (new)

Helen I have a kk and a fire, I find the kk much more comfortable to use as I can hold it around the keyboard, I don't know how I'll replace it when it gives up the
e-ghost. Hate the auto correct on the fire

message 13: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments My kk broke so looking into buying a paperwhite

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a Kindle keyboard. Love it and used it for the past 5 years. Got a Paperwhite today. So nice!

message 15: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2921 comments A complaint about the PW...

I got the first generation of the PW, and got the 2nd generation for my mom. She reads about 10 hours a day, and needs to recharge it every night, or it doesn't make it through the second day.

That is about half of what they claim (8 weeks at 30 minutes per day).

I don't read enough on my PW, so I can't make a valid comparison. Her 2nd generation one does freeze up more (sometimes twice a week), and needs to be rebooted. I've rebooted mine maybe a half dozen times since I got it, mostly for issues of the light getting out of sync (on when I turn off the PW, off when I turn on the PW).

message 16: by Claire (new)

Claire Martin (miss_martin) I have a 2nd Gen PW and went on holiday for a week last week, I read 4 books while there, so read for many hours most days, and I came home with quarter of my battery left, and didn't charge it once. I didn't use the backlight THAT much, but I did use it.

Sounds like your Mum may have an issue with hers? Perhaps worth contacting Amazon to discuss it?

message 17: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments Anyone willing to split with an old kindle. The rice did not fix my kindle. Expletive

message 18: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Scott | 4 comments I don't have one to share, but I had to buy one last year after mine croaked while I was traveling. I found an open box (returned) one at Best Buy and purchased it for $79. One of my friends bought one on Ebay for under $50. I hope you find one soon.