Fantasy Romance discussion

The Marked Ones (The Fairytail Saga #1)
This topic is about The Marked Ones
Mermaid Musings > Have you ever dreamed that you were Mer?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 234 comments How about a merman? I don't do gender-benders. ;-)

message 2: by Howard (last edited Sep 03, 2013 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 234 comments It all started when I was 5. Can't say what started it but it's been an almost life-long fascination and mental play-ground. I remember being somewhat baffled in those early years because mermen were seldom - if ever - mentioned. Didn't mermaids have mommies AND daddies?

Eventually, I was able to learn a (very) wee bit about mermen and it was that they usually played 2nd or 3rd fiddle to mermaids in the stories. It was impossible to base my imagination on anything in film because there weren't any representations of mermen then OR NOW.

I was hooked on the water from an early age and had a collection of diving masks, fins, etc. It was a shame that I was such a lousy swimmer. As college approached, I wanted to be a marine biologist though that eventually gave way to Virology in my Senior year and that eventually gave way to computers.

Somewhere in all of that, I probably began imagining myself as Mer - either native or naturalised - and found that I pictured myself doing the same thing under water as I did on land: Chase girls!

To address the aforementioned injustice, I formed NOM - Nautical Oganisation of Mermen - and am trying to organise a swim on Washington. As soon as I can figure out a way to surface in the reflecting pool that's in front of the Lincoln Memorial, we're on our way!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Howard wrote: "It all started when I was 5. Can't say what started it but it's been an almost life-long fascination and mental play-ground. I remember being somewhat baffled in those early years because mermen we..."

Wow Howard, this series must appeal to you a lot then, given that most of it is about the merMEN or from their eyes anyway.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't really have mermaid fantasies. Just the same intrigue as everyone else. I loved Splash though but Beauty and The Beast is my favourite classic toon.
But please don't do a beast romance series S.K. Not even you could make that appealing, sorry. Believe me-I've looked.

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 234 comments Abbyvich wrote: "Wow Howard, this series must appeal to you a lot then, given that most of it is about the merMEN or from their eyes anyway."

Well it certainly is promising. On the YA front, there's "The Viscious Deep" series & "Son of a Mermaid". For adults, there's the "Tides" series. (Book # 2 just released.)

Still, overall, mermen are a minority. We shall overcome!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thou wilt prevail!

Becky | 195 comments I did love the Little Mermaid when I was a kid. Didn't really fantasize about it much, but I just loved the fairy tales. An escape from the real world I guess.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Herbert | 2 comments I wrote a book based on a dream I had that I was swimming in deep water and saw a man dumping something in the side of a boat. I approached and received a scary look that made me awaken.

I love mermaids because they are feminine power personified.

message 9: by Michelle R (new)

Michelle R (mzexpression) | 2 comments So funny, but I've been assisting another writer in creating an alternative steampunk world for an online storytelling game. The world has merpeople, although not the sexy kind. Although the author incorporated my ideas on the merpeoples' biology and culture, he nixed the sexy looking appearance I wanted :-(